Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 08:55 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times

Advertisements

Oh, Copa, you know that HOAs sdon't give a tinker's toss about the inside of the home....

Anyhow -- I'd have to see the architecture to make a real comment about it. If people are willing to bring big money to the table anything can be done with anything.... it has to be worth it in the long run to do it. And that's where the problem lies.

Making it a historical district can put the homes out of reach of the average Joe. Housies ( I just made it up, but if someone can be a Foodie can't they be a Housie?) are willing to go to any length to make their home just the period in which it was built... and that takes serious money and time.

My house was built in 1924, a typical tiny California bungalow. And I would love to see it kept in it's nearly original condition... but the house doesn't "work" for families today. Families want eat in kitchens, and family rooms and you're not going to get that in these homes. So I know when I sell it, someone else is going to come in and make their own and I will HATE it.

And yet it seems like a true abomination that people are buying these old San Francisco Victorians, tarting up the outside like an Old Painted Lady and gutting the inside and turning it into an industrial loft space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 09:43 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,277 times
These homes are fairly typical of Lawrenceville.

There are more on this page, and the next.
In Box Photo Gallery by step2me at pbase.com

Old 04-16-2010, 09:24 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
That's because so many people want to bring their 1960s suburban housing ideals to the city. It just doesn't work.

I love the original interiors of older homes. I remember last year I was looking at an 1892 Victorian in Spring Hill. The house had all of the original woodwork, marble fireplaces, hardwood floors, carved staircase, clawfoot tubs, and 1930s style kitchen with porcelain sink and built in cabinets. It was breathtaking. But I know whoever buys it is going to think it needs a Home Depot makeover, rip out all the Victorian trim and put some ugly premanufactured cabinets in the kitchen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
My house was built in 1924, a typical tiny California bungalow. And I would love to see it kept in it's nearly original condition... but the house doesn't "work" for families today. Families want eat in kitchens, and family rooms and you're not going to get that in these homes. So I know when I sell it, someone else is going to come in and make their own and I will HATE it.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:46 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Fell's Point, Canton, and Federal Hill in Baltimore are all full of modest workingman's rowhouses, and are among the most popular areas in the city.
And let's not forget that South Side, Bloomfield, Mexican War Streets, and now Lawrenceville are among the hottest (if not the hottest) neighborhoods in Pittsburgh -- and all are well-preserved row-house neighborhoods. I wish we could add the Bluff to the list, or Manchester, or Troy Hill.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:19 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,366 times
MOST parts of Lawrenceville ARE ugly...particularly UPPER Lawrenceville, where I reside. Best believe when my daughter goes to the prom next month we will NOT be taking pictures on my street. I will be telling my family members to meet up with us at Arsenal Park or something. The part of Lawrenceville near Arsenal Park and up near the new Children's Hospital are the best parts, IMHO....

Old 05-17-2010, 01:43 PM

382 posts, read 1,054,033 times
For the betterment of Lawrenceville, they should buy/repurpose the 1970-80s lots on Butler (namely Circle K and the Rite Aid plaza) into more contextual, in-fill buildings.

Making Lawrenceville a historic district would limit its ability to adapt into a well-functioning, design savvy neighborhood. When done well, modern or new designs to the neighborhood will only enhance the collection of existing buildings as well as attract a greater diversity of people and businesses. Great cities adapt.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:51 AM

362 posts, read 919,345 times
Fisk & Main Streets are the nicest in Lawrenceville. Go below Butler St. and it's NOT pretty!

40th Street is not bad. They should have NEVER covered over the cobble stones on 40th.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:43 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Certainly some people do, as demonstrated by the success of well-located and nicely restored rowhouse neighborhoods in various cities. I think it can help to see rowhouses not in competition with detached homes, but instead with flats (apartments or condos). Affordable rowhouses in decent neighborhoods can easily compete in such markets without being very fancy.

And yes, for some people the lack of a HOA is going to be a plus.

Oh, and give the area decent public transit, toss in a few Zipcars, and you may not need your own car at all. And that can be a big savings.
If you live on the hill between Butler Street and Penn Avenue, there are two or three buses in and out of Lawrenceville. You have to walk down the hill to get to one (91A), and when you return, take one of the other two (86B or 54C, depending on where you're going), if you don't want to do some major hill-climbing. And climbing those hills was too much fun for words during the snow this year.

Oh, and you have to walk up a hill one way or another if you're using a Zipcar.

I've moved to flat land since I first posted my opinion of L'ville. I'm much happier getting around on the bus living where I live now, Friendship on the cusp of East Liberty. It isn't necessarily the most beautiful neighborhood, but I no longer have to smell cat **** coming in from the house next door. And there are almost too many buses to choose from to get where I need to go.

Last edited by jay5835; 05-27-2010 at 09:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh