Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 02:13 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,000,011 times

Advertisements

I visited Lawrenceville today, just to admire the wealth of historic architecture in the neighborhood. A lot of it is from the mid 19th century. The architecture in the neighborhood is also surprisingly intact. I was just thinking about whether the neighborhood is in danger of losing some of its historic character, especially now that it is becoming a city hot spot. I worry about some of the older buildings being torn down for condos, walgreens, and the like. I think Lawrenceville, or at least a section of it, deserves to be a historic district. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 11:08 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,915,508 times
Probably not the whole thing, but certainly I could see parts qualifying.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:10 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,212,838 times
I think so. There was an arsenal for the Civil War there and also, songwriter Stephen Foster was born there. That is in addition to all of the Victorians and also Allegheny Cemetery. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Foster

Old 04-04-2010, 10:07 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,000,011 times
If we could get enough residents of Lawrenceville interested (25%), we could put a nomination in place with the city, for a section of Lawrenceville.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:15 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,114,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
If we could get enough residents of Lawrenceville interested (25%), we could put a nomination in place with the city, for a section of Lawrenceville.
I live in Lawrenceville (not a part that would qualify as historic) and I say you should definitely try to go for it. I think Fisk, Main, and part of Butler would be the most logical choices and there would be a lot of support for those streets to get it.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:24 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,020,514 times
if i ever get settled back in pgh (job situation, etc), i do hope to get into that neighborhood, and actually buy a place or two. it has come a long way, and is much better than it was in '99 (my recent frame of reference).

the fact that butler street looks is rebounding, but looks like a cleaner, newer version of its old self (rather than some cheap, modern look) makes it so appealing.

that building with the bowling alley - that was sandblasted and cleaned, right? i remember it well in the 90s, dirty as hell. it looks great now.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:38 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,114,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
if i ever get settled back in pgh (job situation, etc), i do hope to get into that neighborhood, and actually buy a place or two. it has come a long way, and is much better than it was in '99 (my recent frame of reference).

the fact that butler street looks is rebounding, but looks like a cleaner, newer version of its old self (rather than some cheap, modern look) makes it so appealing.

that building with the bowling alley - that was sandblasted and cleaned, right? i remember it well in the 90s, dirty as hell. it looks great now.
the businesses on butler look so much better today than those cheap and crappy fronts on the 80's and 90's.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:36 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,844,770 times
Lawrenceville is kind of ugly. Not everything should be a historic district just because it's old. And I live here, so I know.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:12 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,342,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Lawrenceville is kind of ugly. Not everything should be a historic district just because it's old. And I live here, so I know.
Agreed...that whole section is pegged for some impressive redevelopment projects that would really help the city's image. I'll never understand why everybody in this area seems to be so crazy about preserving everything and designating spots with a historical stamp just so that it can sit there and continue to rot/fall apart. Lawrenceville has definately improved over the last 5 years or so, but really...there's nothing about it that screams "preserve me, I'm an important part of history" and it's not uncommon to see strange things like rehabbed lofts and new businesses sitting right next to abandoned roach motels. Maybe a tiny stretch or two could work, but both Lawrenceville and the Strip are dingy, but prime spots for an overhaul through the massive "Allegheny Riverfront Vision" project that's about to get underway. I'm more happy about the prospects of improving those areas than keeping them as they are.

This is kind of like those diehards screaming around about "saving The Igloo" when even Texas Stadium was just leveled today, and that was a place where football fans would make cross country pilgrimages to. Some things just need to change in order to make overall progress.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:16 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,212,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
Agreed...that whole section is pegged for some impressive redevelopment projects that would really help the city's image. I'll never understand why everybody in this area seems to be so crazy about preserving everything and designating spots with a historical stamp just so that it can sit there and continue to rot/fall apart. Lawrenceville has definately improved over the last 5 years or so, but really...there's nothing about it that screams "preserve me, I'm an important part of history" and it's not uncommon to see strange things like rehabbed lofts and new businesses sitting right next to abandoned roach motels. Maybe a tiny stretch or two could work, but both Lawrenceville and the Strip are dingy, but prime spots for an overhaul through the massive "Allegheny Riverfront Vision" project that's about to get underway. I'm more happy about the prospects of improving those areas than keeping them as they are.

This is kind of like those diehards screaming around about "saving The Igloo" when even Texas Stadium was just leveled today, and that was a place where football fans would make cross country pilgrimages to. Some things just need to change in order to make overall progress.
I agree. Sometimes people just gotta roll with the changes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGgLP...eature=related
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh