Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 10:43 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,112 times

Advertisements

Fifth Avenue retail reborn

It is still really a mess with all of the fencing etc. This is encouraging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 02:57 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times
Wish Murphy's, Candy Rama and The Warner Theater were still there. Hope things clean up.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:49 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
That stretch of Fifth is turning out just ridiculously gorgeous. One of my now-favorite images Downtown is the Buhl Building being reflected in Three PNC, and the whole thing screams "high-end".

Anyway, in addition to the pure aesthetics, that article makes clear the success of retail is all about location and people. Between Three PNC (which is just now coming into full effect as major tenants move in and the Fairmont is opening) and the new residential units in the area, you create a critical mass that then attracts good stores that then attracts even more people. And I am confident developers will keep that in mind as they work on more areas nearby.

Finally, I was excited to see the plans to move the bakery and locate a deli in Market Square. Done right that will be a decent daily grocery option for local residents but also have a sustained lunch business that can leverage the renovated Market Square.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:09 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
Fifth Avenue retail reborn

It is still really a mess with all of the fencing etc. This is encouraging.
nuwaver, i am not a pessimist by any means. but when it comes to downtown, id be cautious. we've seen spurts of renewal - the 80s come to mind, with several high rises other improvements in choices...

then it goes flat and never becomes what was envisioned. this time might be different because of the growing number of residents and the tendency to think differently about living in a dense urban core (both non-existent, almost, in the late 80s boom).

Old 04-06-2010, 07:18 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
nuwaver, i am not a pessimist by any means. but when it comes to downtown, id be cautious. we've seen spurts of renewal - the 80s come to mind, with several high rises other improvements in choices...

then it goes flat and never becomes what was envisioned. this time might be different because of the growing number of residents and the tendency to think differently about living in a dense urban core (both non-existent, almost, in the late 80s boom).
I fully understand the skepticism. In this case, things are being done at a slow to steady pace. These merchants have moved and are already seeing an improvement due to more of a mass of people. There will be even more of a critical mass and better flow once all of the fences are down in this area and around Market Square. The construction of the Gateway Station is another thing that is a mess right now. In two years, that will be done and will help this area also. I am still cautiously optimistic, but we will see more residents and a more vibrant area for sure in five years or less. It may level off down the road, but we will be left with a better area than we had circa 2005. That is for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh