Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 07:05 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,891,955 times

Advertisements

Here is the article:

Summerset builds up slowly - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Some excerpts:

Quote:
Just two lots remain from Phase One of the project. The Pittsburgh Urban Redevelopment Authority, owner of the site, late last month authorized a new phase of up to 132 rental units, 126 for-sale houses, plus a 30,000-square-foot building. Ralph Falbo of Ralph Falbo Inc., Downtown, who with Philadelphia-based Pennrose Properties Inc. built the initial rental units, said he is prepared to build the new rentals. Falbo also built the 36-unit Crescent Court condominium there, which has only one unit unsold.
Moderator cut: shortened, copyright protection
Not exactly a budget-oriented development, but as the article notes it has been a nice (and popular) option for people looking for new family-friendly homes in the City.

Last edited by Yac; 04-08-2010 at 02:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 08:10 AM

780 posts, read 1,377,173 times
My SIL is seriously considering there when she moves back with her family from Houston in the near future. She liked what she saw online.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:18 AM

We actually looked into it way back at the beginning, before deciding to buy our first house in Regent Square. At the end of the day we prefer historic homes, but it is a pretty nice development if you prefer new.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:25 AM

875 posts, read 1,483,676 times
If you have the money and are looking for specifically new places in a neighborhood free of blight, look no further than Summerset. It is quite nice, and hopefully will be quite integrated into the lower Nine Mile Run trail development.

With the elimination of the 61D Summerset bus that went through the neighborhood in the TDP, I have to basically feign comment about the area being a true "new urban" neighborhood. It's basically a mixed-type suburb in the city with sidewalks. However, those two things are improvements over most suburban plans I grew up to know.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:54 AM

I agree it is very suburban in feel, but it is also early in the process. Indeed, I could imagine it regaining bus service at some point with enough new residents, plus the incentive of higher gas prices, plus maybe upgraded transit service nearby, and so forth.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:56 AM

809 posts, read 2,401,268 times
I have mixed feeling about summerset. It's a suburban land use in the city. Yeah the homes are close together, but it feels like something out of Cranberry.

I'm glad that we have new construction in the city, I just worry about enclaves of new homes cut off from the rest of the east end. The street pattern isn't in a grid either.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:09 AM

I'd be more concerned about Summerset if it had used prime space. But given it was built on a slag heap outside of the existing development patterns, I am willing to give it a pass.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:27 PM

296 posts, read 558,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
I have mixed feeling about summerset. It's a suburban land use in the city. Yeah the homes are close together, but it feels like something out of Cranberry.

I'm glad that we have new construction in the city, I just worry about enclaves of new homes cut off from the rest of the east end. The street pattern isn't in a grid either.
There actually are several private streets & neighborhoods in the East End that are entirely cut off from the rest of the street grid.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:50 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,936,000 times
It was interesting that the residents of Summerset petitioned the Port Authrority to take the bus out of the development. They said that with such scarce resources, PAT should put the service in a needed neighborhood.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:02 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,186,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post

Here's the latest Google Earth image. Not a lot of room to create a "grid" pattern. Other than the lack of mature trees, how different does it look from the closest parts of the rest of Squirell Hill?

(BTW, it's now almost built out to about the middle of the gray area to the lower left corner of the image.)
Attached Thumbnails
URA approves next phase of Summerset-summersetandsurroundings.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh