Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 01:10 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
have they upgraded the hound buses yet on that route?
I don't know, I'll ask him. All I know is its usually $100, round trip, on a Hound bus from Pittsburgh to Philly and back. He will be saving a lot more money taking the Mega Bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 01:48 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
have they upgraded the hound buses yet on that route?
If you mean the new all blue wifi and electrical outlet equipt buses then No. Greyhound is a Mess - I loath that company I had to take them when leaving the burgh to go back to NYC because the Megabus arrival times in NYC weren't working for me.

1st - There are no longer Express Trips to Philly or NYC from the Burgh everything must either stop in Harrisburg or DC/Baltimore. I used to take whatever Express Trip i could find and back in the day they ran quite a few. Then recently it was all cut down to one Express trip per day and they would bounce that trip around to whatever time of the day (today it would leave 5pm, next time would be the 1am, then 2pm, then 8 am) they did this for a good 3 years...Now NO EXPRESS anymore, and the Express was always packed because of Pittsburgh was the transfer hub for people going to the Mid-West everything came thru Pittsburgh...

2nd - They've cut the service by alot - I guess they feel they can do this because there's no competition other than flying to get to and from the Burgh.

3rd - I guess only the routes we're they're competing with others like Mega do they feel they need to keep their fleet upgrade...I guess until Pittsburgh fully becomes Mega's Transfer HUB they wont have any incentive to give Pittsburgh routes better Equipment...

4th - ALWAYS LATE EXTREMELY

5th - ALWAYS CRUSHLOADED WITH PEOPLE - But yet they cut service...

HURRY UP MEGA...I CAN'T WAIT Until Pittsburgh is HUB Status....I Loved Megabus to Pittsburgh it was so relaxing and ON TIME and you can't beat the prices.

Maybe then Greyhound will feel the need to Bring Bolt to the Burgh once they feel the heat......

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 06-11-2010 at 01:56 PM..

Old 06-11-2010, 02:12 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
I don't know, I'll ask him. All I know is its usually $100, round trip, on a Hound bus from Pittsburgh to Philly and back. He will be saving a lot more money taking the Mega Bus.
for better or worse, greyhound seems to have based their service on harrisburg. they really should sign an agreement with amtrak so that it's ~$70RT including bus to harrisburg and train to philly (or less now that there's competition).

BB-bolt is awesome, I hope it spurs them to make runs between Philly and Pitt on that service, I even prefer it to megabus, it's more comfortable. Greyhound has recently upgraded the Philly-NY, NY-Montreal, NY-toronto, NY-boston runs with all new buses, wifi, etc. Greyhound was forced into bankruptcy by the chinatown lines (and would have been by mega eventually anyway) because they used to operate with high fares on high traffic routes subsidizing lower traffic smaller towns, chinatown forced them to cur their fares in half and they hit bankruptcy, and were bought out. they've been slowly reorganizing and rebranding. I've heard good things about the NY-toronto/montreal routes but haven't tried traditional greyhound to NY in a long time. I travel between Philly and Pitt and usually fly but I've taken the train (slow, but the most relaxing). For the same money, I'd prefer a shorter bus to harrisburg, then the train simply because it's a reasonable combination of comfort and price. at any rate, I really like the competitive transportation market that's developing

Old 06-12-2010, 01:58 PM

377 posts, read 667,240 times
This might make the Pittsburgh-Philly route on megabus even more popular:
MegaBus US - Megabus.com Expands Philadelphia Service to and from Nine Northeast Cities

Old 09-04-2010, 11:34 AM

Well just got word guys.....Megabus will soon have DC and Richmond to the Burgh and Chicago will be making a return....Making Pittsburgh a Transfer Hub like originally stated...Also Philly and NYC will have more 2 -3 more trips per day...

Look for all this to be in place before then end of the year is what I'm told. This is excellent news just what the Burgh needs MORE OPTIONS!!!

If this doesn't get Greyhound to sit up and take notice nothing will.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:43 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Excellent news! I was just reading about how network connections are crucial to cities--this can't hurt.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:43 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,193 times
Blackbeauty 212 Thanks for sharing!!

Old 09-05-2010, 09:48 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Well just got word guys.....Megabus will soon have DC and Richmond to the Burgh and Chicago will be making a return....Making Pittsburgh a Transfer Hub like originally stated...Also Philly and NYC will have more 2 -3 more trips per day...

Look for all this to be in place before then end of the year is what I'm told. This is excellent news just what the Burgh needs MORE OPTIONS!!!

If this doesn't get Greyhound to sit up and take notice nothing will.
Perhaps you don't know, but will the Chicago trip be a NYC to Pittsburgh to Chicago express bus. Or just bringing back the original Pittsburgh megabus route of Pittsburgh - Cleveland - Toledo - Chicago?

Old 09-05-2010, 03:47 PM

I dont have confirmation....But by the statement I was given.....it seemed like it will be Chicago to Pittsburgh via Cleveland...then you have NYC, Philly and DC/Richmond out of Pittsburgh....So it will be a transfer...

Chicago to NYC is an awful long haul for one bus and driver.....Pittsburgh being the dead center between the two cities makes the perfect sense, plus the Philly and DC transfer also makes it more sense that it will just be connecting the 2 networks of Midwest and East Coast.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:48 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I dont have confirmation....But by the statement I was given.....it seemed like it will be Chicago to Pittsburgh via Cleveland...then you have NYC, Philly and DC/Richmond out of Pittsburgh....So it will be a transfer...

Chicago to NYC is an awful long haul for one bus and driver.....Pittsburgh being the dead center between the two cities makes the perfect sense, plus the Philly and DC transfer also makes it more sense that it will just be connecting the 2 networks of Midwest and East Coast.
I hope there'll be a direct bus from Pgh. to DC. I don't like traveling enough to go to Philadelphia, then wait for another bus to DC. I'll just stay home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh