Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2011, 02:16 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Supposedly Megabus is hiring alot of Pittsburgh area drivers, it looks like they're trying to place a Yard somewhere in the area.
I have seen the New York Megabus several times traveling on Mt Nebo Rd then gets on I-279 to go downtown. Maybe their yard is out in that Mt Nebo/ Camp Horne area.

I love the picture of the little Scottish bus driver that's on the side of the Megabus. He looks like one of those Fisher Price Little People! Cute!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 05:49 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
I have seen the New York Megabus several times traveling on Mt Nebo Rd then gets on I-279 to go downtown. Maybe their yard is out in that Mt Nebo/ Camp Horne area.

I love the picture of the little Scottish bus driver that's on the side of the Megabus. He looks like one of those Fisher Price Little People! Cute!
Yeah, that would be right. Megabus is owned by Stagecoach Group, a British company which also owns conglomerated charter company Coach USA, formerly known in this area as Lenzner Coach. Their yard is on Nicholson Rd just off Mt Nebo (kinda behind Andora restaurant).

For that matter, Greyhound is owned by First Group, a rival British company. Apparently the Brits think bus operation is pretty global and figured it would be good to expand here. First Group also bought the large school bus operator Laidlaw and renamed it First Student. Both are also major train operators in the UK, among other things.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:18 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Yeah, that would be right. Megabus is owned by Stagecoach Group, a British company which also owns conglomerated charter company Coach USA, formerly known in this area as Lenzner Coach. Their yard is on Nicholson Rd just off Mt Nebo (kinda behind Andora restaurant).

For that matter, Greyhound is owned by First Group, a rival British company. Apparently the Brits think bus operation is pretty global and figured it would be good to expand here. First Group also bought the large school bus operator Laidlaw and renamed it First Student. Both are also major train operators in the UK, among other things.
I didn't know that; I had always thought Greyhound was government owned just like Amtrak. I suppose they receive a lot of subsidies even so, though.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:14 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Although I would love to see Midwest routings, more service to the east, or a new service to Buffalo/Toronto, would be fine too.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:19 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Although I would love to see Midwest routings, more service to the east, or a new service to Buffalo/Toronto, would be fine too.
I would love service to Toronto. I'm amazed how many people don't realize that Pittsburgh to Toronto is a shorter drive than it is to Philly, New York, and Detroit. I think it has to do with the crossing a border part.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:35 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I would love service to Toronto. I'm amazed how many people don't realize that Pittsburgh to Toronto is a shorter drive than it is to Philly, New York, and Detroit. I think it has to do with the crossing a border part.
In general I don't think most people realize how close the populated parts of Canada are to the United States, so I think that supports your thesis.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:31 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
I didn't know that; I had always thought Greyhound was government owned just like Amtrak. I suppose they receive a lot of subsidies even so, though.
perhaps for serving small communities but there are all sorts of smaller bus companies that receive subsidies for certain routes such as bieber or capital trailways. airlines also.receive subsidies to serve places like johnstown, altoona, lancaster. by and large greyhound is a private for profit business who, prior to the advent of chinatown buses, never recognized the lucrative express market. they operated a hub and spoke system that largely relied on overcharging customers in urban areas like the northeasy to pay for their national network. chinatown buses undercut them and basically forced them into bankruptcy which is where the brits stepped in...and weve had a total restructuring of our bus system.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:36 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Keep in mind they can ransack your car when you go through customs. It has happened to me once before. Not my favorite thing. Drive to Philly, no ransack.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:09 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Keep in mind they can ransack your car when you go through customs. It has happened to me once before. Not my favorite thing. Drive to Philly, no ransack.
Hm. Well, I've crossed at the Peace Bridge a couple of times with no ransack but last time was several years ago. The real pain for many is that now or soon you need a special ID, either the passport card or a real passport, which adds some bucks onto the trip. Means little to me since I've had a passport for a while but a great many people who might otherwise make that trip don't have one.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:20 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,007,822 times
A passport in the US lasts for ten years, so it's a worthwhile investment. We cross the border several times a year and thankfully never have had anything happen but a wave through. Coming back to the US can be a different story though. CBP agents who think they're the going to be personally responsible for preventing the next 9/11 can be quite unpleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh