Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 09:30 PM

875 posts, read 1,482,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquills View Post
We need more crossings over I-579. That Highway really creates a seperation of downtown and the lower hill. It's to expensive to bury like boston. I say we just blow it up. I am sick of going to Cranberry anymore anyways.
Well, there's no reason one big overpass could be constructed carrying both Center and Bedford Avenues. I think there was a preliminary study for redevelopment that suggested doing just that, with the space in between the roads converted to public green space. What sucks is that Fifth Ave just south of Crosstown passes underneath, so I'm not sure what can be done with that, save for sprucing it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 10:35 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times
Here is how Dallas is handling a similar situation with a crosstown highway:

The Park

Old 04-12-2010, 10:57 PM

875 posts, read 1,482,925 times
Well, I managed to find the plan associated with Isle of Capri. I doubt we could expect new development to have this face precisely, but you can clearly see a filling over between Center and Bedford Avenues with a green space. Actually it almost looks like it could be a small outdoor concert space. Whatever it would ultimately be, I think in order to actually connect the Hill with Downtown, Crosstown is going to have to be bridged/covered over more.

Attached Thumbnails
Wish List - Mellon Arena Redevelopment-isle-capri-plan.jpg  

Old 04-13-2010, 01:25 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,391,383 times
More from the mayor on this..

Is Mellon Arena a roadblock?

Old 04-13-2010, 03:03 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,543,247 times
Well, they are using a lot of BS. I mean, how does making sure the arena is demolished (or any redevelopment there, arena or no) create 3000 new PERMANENT jobs? It's a huge number and doesn't make any sense. It's only if you're really lucky that that is a net increase in the city or the wider region.

Any bets on how long it stays parking after it's demolished? I say 10 years. They should be allowed to demolish it only if it is never used for parking (unless they're building a garage; no surface parking).

Old 04-13-2010, 03:34 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,734,236 times
US' largest indoor beer garden

Old 04-13-2010, 04:42 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Any bets on how long it stays parking after it's demolished? I say 10 years.
I'll take the under, at least if you don't mean having the whole site completely redeveloped. My understanding is that the Penguins have agreed to start developing more or less right away, and I think they'll have plenty of economic incentive to do so.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:51 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,579,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I'll take the under, at least if you don't mean having the whole site completely redeveloped. My understanding is that the Penguins have agreed to start developing more or less right away, and I think they'll have plenty of economic incentive to do so.
Yeah, you have a point. This isn't the North Shore were talking about, this is prime real estate in the middle of a vibrant throughfare just shy of the downtown area. I think development could and will occur within a reasonable time frame when or if the arena is demolished. I would prefer the arena to be preserved but it doesn't seem likely.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:26 PM

419 posts, read 445,626 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh must always keep it's Pyramid bowling pin style skyline of the smaller buildings in the front and the tallest in the back. Meaning this will be prime space for our first supertall skyscraper over a thousand feet in the year 2254.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:36 PM

419 posts, read 445,626 times
Quote:
Here is how Dallas is handling a similar situation with a crosstown highway:

The Park

I looked that up on Google maps. It shows a highway going right by the museum. It is the Wodwall Rodgers Park. They built the park on a deck over the highway it seems instead of tunneling the highway under ground. It would probably be pretty affordable, and would be perfect for a short length of highway like the Crosstown Blvd. Not that I would ever expect something like that in Pittsburgh. We tunnel LightRails under rivers here for much higher cost.

Here is a short masterplan I found of it.

http://www.dallasparks.org/downloads...esentation.pdf

Now I found the link you provided above the picture. Here I was googling it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh