Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 11:27 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,043,460 times

Advertisements

Thought it would be interesting to see all of the neighborhoods/ suburbs people have lived in and what they thought of them.

I've lived in:

Chalfant: quietest place I have ever lived in the Pittsburgh area, convenient to the East End without any of the pretense.

Shadyside: obviously a nice neighborhood, I walked to work when I lived here. I disliked how crammed in I felt, but I guess that is city living. There were some arrogant people in Shadyside. Overall a good experience.

Stowe (currently): a solid, intact neighborhood with a nice business district, extremely affordable, friendly neighbors, convenient to downtown and Robinson. Too much low-income housing is the only issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 11:37 PM

783 posts, read 2,023,834 times
I feel like I've lived everywhere...downtown, highland park, oakmont, moon, bethel park, murrysville, etc. I'm least familiar with the north hills.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:49 PM

377 posts, read 652,556 times
Bellevue- Loved it. Very walk able. Quick commute to downtown on the bus using the "flyer" buses during rush hour ( Do they still exist?). I miss being able to just walk to the store, bakery, or out to eat. If you live here for a long time as I did and my family it has a small town feel. Everyone knows each other. I went to school with pretty much the same 100 kids (in my grade level) K-12.

Millvale- Owned my first house here for 2 years. Overall good experience. Was able to sell the house in less than 6 months. Also a walk able place but not as much to walk to as Bellevue. Good commute on the bus. Riverfront trail was a big plus of living here.

Economy ( currently )- Different than what I am use to. Not at all walk able where I live. No stores to walk to or anything like that. No neighbors on either side which is a nice change from Millvale. I do like it out here it is very quiet and relaxing. I am only 27 though and find myself driving to the city areas a couple times a week. Commute to my job in Wexford is very good from here though.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:22 AM

1,758 posts, read 4,234,508 times
Two different locations in O'Hara Twp. Cheswick, Shadyside. I lived in a third floor efficiency on Howe Street near Shady Avenue from 1986 until 1989 for $269.00 per month! It was electric heat, no gas. My bills with cable totaled like $350.00 a month to live in Shadyside. Granted, it got more expensive closer to Walnut and Ivy areas, but still. O'Hara is nice because it is one of the first suburbs outside of the city but is very quiet. Living in Cheswick was ok. It just seemed strange that a lot of people that live up in the Allegheny Valley seem to think that they are further away from Pittsburgh than they actually are. "My wife has to go and see the doctor in Pittsburgh tomorrow' rather than " My wife is getting some test done at Presby tomorrow" It's not that far people.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:16 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,038,829 times
All East End--Shadyside, Park Place, and three locations in Regent Square. Shadyside was nice and fun and very convenient, but a little pricey for me (I was a grad student at the time). Park Place was way more affordable and still convenient for a student, but a bit transitional. I've given various impressions on Regent Square many times, but generally we have settled here because it is a nice little community with a decent commercial area and pleasant walkable streets, plus it is very well-located for Downtown commuting, Frick Park, getting on the highway, and accessing the rest of the East End. It sort of splits the difference on affordability (not cheap, but not as pricey as Shadyside and Squirrel Hill).

Old 11-28-2011, 05:23 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,295,337 times
My list is somewhat irrelevant since it was in the 70's and 80's but I'll list them anyway - Bethel Park, Monroeville, O'Hara Township and Squirrel Hill, and Point Breeze. I really only liked the city neighborhoods as they allowed me to be more independent as a non-driving kid/teen. I was only in those neighborhoods on weekends and summers though (divorced parents).
I loved my school in Monroeville much better than the subsequent one in the Fox Chapel SD.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:45 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,708,221 times
I have lived in Shadyside and now Point Breeze.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:17 AM

198 posts, read 422,137 times
when my parents returned to pittsburgh from wwII they bought a house in homewood on kedron street not far from her parents who lived on monticello. we lived there til i was 6. i don't remember much except walking accross the street to kindergarten and the house that had a long hallway with french doors to the livingroom that was big enough for our baby grand piano.

in 1952 my family moved to morningside where they bought a house for 12k. mom and sister live there to this day. the schools i went to were morningside grade school and peabody high. both closed now. it makes me sad when i come to pittsburgh to visit as i have happy memories of both.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:20 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,096,792 times
Oakland ('95-'97) - I was an undergrad so I rarely left Oakland. Liked it well enough, although at this point the City was still suffering in personal comparisons that I made as an 18 year old to NYC, my place of origin.

Shadyside ('97-'99) - I liked it but my life was still Oakland-centric. Neighborhood felt a little pretentious and artificial to me at the time, especially Walnit, which is why when we moved back to PGH later we avoided the East End in favor of the flats.

Pacific Beach, San Diego ('99-'03)
- absolute blast but for self-preservation and personal advancement was ready to leave.

Southside Flats ('04-'08) - really enjoyed my time there. Parking, while always bad, got worse over our time there. The neighborhood was continuing to change and it lost a bit of its neighborhood feel while we were there.

Mexican War Streets ('08-present) - not many downsides to this choice yet.

Last edited by Lobick; 11-28-2011 at 06:29 AM..

Old 11-28-2011, 06:26 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,873,982 times
Oakdale, Robinson, Overbrook, and now Perry South.

Where I call home means little to me, to be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh