Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 06:34 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Yes 2K will get you plenty in the burgh....

Herodous - was playing down Pittsburgh a bit, you will find that for its size, Pittsburgh offers alot of ammenties that one finds in NYC....

Not eveyone desires the NYC pace of life....I learned this by living here for almost 15 years....anyone from NYC know that its going to be a slow down moving anywhere else in the country no city keeps up with NYC's pace...

The fact that you will finanlly be able to afford much more for your dollar, that you can own a car in Pittsburgh, have room on the sidewalk to walk, and not having to scarifice alot of amenities that your used to in NYC or larger cities.. amung many things attracting people to Pittsburgh.

Welcome and hope you like it.
I didn't intend to play down Pittsburgh, it's just that in smaller cities, you sometimes have to search for things that are right in your face in a place like NYC. Those that complain are usually not prepared to do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 07:07 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,665 times
One comment I'll make regarding the commute: Live close to your place of work! Clearly the person that says traffic is non-existent here...doesn't have a suburb commute. The Parkway East and West into the city are at least a 30 minute ride to go 3 - 4 miles and that's a "good" morning. It can be an hour or more for that same distance for no reason on a given morning. Now granted, my commuting experience is all at rush hour. If you're working "off the wall" hours, you'll more than likely be just fine. But even the city streets at rush hour will take forever to go anywhere. (And this is all coming from a self-admitted aggressive driver who knows how to lane hop!) And yes, I acknowledge that our traffic is probably nothing compared to NYC, but for a city Pittsburgh's size, it's ridiculous.

Also, DO NOT hit your breaks before a tunnel! Pittsburghers love to drive passively and overuse their break pedals, thus creating traffic!

I'm sure you'll like Pittsburgh...WELCOME!

Old 04-19-2010, 10:32 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,573,708 times
I did 4 years of training in Pittsburgh and left 2 years ago for a fellowship in Baltimore. Didn't like Pittsburgh all that much the first year but really grew in me to the point I will try to come back next year when I'm finally done training. Pittsburgh has a lot going for it. IIts not NYC but to me that's a good thing. If you want to live in the suburbs look to the North. From Ross Twn it took me 20 mins usually 30 during rush hour. The city neighborhoods .mentioned are all good options too.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 915 times
I have lived in the city of Pittsburgh all my life. It is a very ethnic city. By that I mean it is very diversified. There are many types of people who live here, who come here and who stay and make this their home. Its a very lovable and hardworking place. It's been rated "The #1 Best City to Live" by Rand quite a few times. It's rated tops for education with the University of Pittsburgh bordering the city limits. It's tops in Medicine with the top ranked trauma centers with Allegheny General Hospital, Mercy Hospital and UPMC facilities all within a 10 - 20 mile radius of downtown Pittsburgh. Housing is very doable in ur price range. The cost of living here is very good. I'm sure u will be surprised. I'm sure u have heard of the Steelers, Penquins, Pirates and Univ. of Pitts. Panthers. We are so very proud of our sports teams. The nice areas to look into for living, which is very close to most hospitals and bus lines, are the Oakland, Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, South Side Slope, Strip District areas. Living in the downtown area is not very kid friendly. That area is primarily for the rich higher class singles. I hope I have helped u. if not, maybe there are others who will have some better ideas. Good luck and God Bless u all.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:47 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
I didn't intend to play down Pittsburgh, it's just that in smaller cities, you sometimes have to search for things that are right in your face in a place like NYC. Those that complain are usually not prepared to do this.
OK - I will agree with that...One will learn unlike many other cities....Pittsburgh's pulse is not soley based downtown...I love that about Pittsburgh...it's pulse it made up of all the neighborhood...

Very few cities can you be in the middle of the action without being in the CBD..

Old 04-19-2010, 02:18 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
OK - I will agree with that...One will learn unlike many other cities....Pittsburgh's pulse is not soley based downtown...I love that about Pittsburgh...it's pulse it made up of all the neighborhood...

Very few cities can you be in the middle of the action without being in the CBD..
most cities CBD are dead after 5...

Old 04-19-2010, 02:51 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,798 times
I've never even seen an apartment advertised for $2,000 a month in Pittsburgh. For that much money you can rent or buy an incredibly nice house here.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:02 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
I've never even seen an apartment advertised for $2,000 a month in Pittsburgh. For that much money you can rent or buy an incredibly nice house here.
according to the downtown rent thread, one overlooking market sq rented for $3k. so for the price of a typical place in manhattan, you can rent a premier space in what's becoming one of the city's top locations.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:44 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,573,708 times
Some of the lofts in southside works go for around that much (2-3k a month).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh