Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 08:33 PM

13 posts, read 60,507 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

I'm a young gay guy in his mid twenties moving to Pittsburgh after working for awhile on the west coast. I've never been to Pennsylvania in my life but I'm taking a job with a new firm out there... what can I expect as far as the gay scene is concerned? Where is the most chic,gay friendly, young, singles neighborhood (is it shadyside like I've heard?)? And what can I expect from the gay bars... and how much does a typical run bedroom apt go for!

A lot of questions! But I hope you can help me out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 08:39 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,229,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polospy View Post
Hey Everyone,

.. and how much does a typical run bedroom apt go for!

"A typical run down apartment can go for as little as $300.00 in some neighborhoods. A typical one bedroom is Shady Side will probably start at $800.00 per month and higher closer to Walnut.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:25 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,628,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polospy View Post
Hey Everyone,

I'm a young gay guy in his mid twenties moving to Pittsburgh after working for awhile on the west coast. I've never been to Pennsylvania in my life but I'm taking a job with a new firm out there... what can I expect as far as the gay scene is concerned? Where is the most chic,gay friendly, young, singles neighborhood (is it shadyside like I've heard?)? And what can I expect from the gay bars... and how much does a typical run bedroom apt go for!

Shadyside is high, yet the unofficial "gayborhood" in Pittsburgh. Basically any East End neighborhood is gay friendly (Regent Square, Squirrel Hill, up and coming Lawrenceville.)

Old 04-22-2010, 05:57 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
The East End neighborhoods might be gay friendly, but the Mexican War Streets in North Side is where many gays choose to live.

The apartments are beautiful there----and affordable.

Check out these Mexican War Street listings:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/1699371080.html (broken link)

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/1700150664.html (broken link)

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/sea...=apa&bedrooms=

Old 04-22-2010, 06:29 AM

142 posts, read 365,484 times
Because after all, straight people experience a different Pittsburgh than gay people...

Ridiculous.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshM25 View Post
Because after all, straight people experience a different Pittsburgh than gay people...

Ridiculous.
Are you clueless?

Straight people DO experience a different Pittsburgh!

Straight people run into like minded people wherever they go!

Gay people have a more difficult time finding one another!

Old 04-22-2010, 06:50 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The East End neighborhoods might be gay friendly, but the Mexican War Streets in North Side is where many gays choose to live.

The apartments are beautiful there----and affordable.

Check out these Mexican War Street listings:

Large, Bright 2nd fl unit (http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/1699371080.html - broken link)

Wonderful One Bedroom + Office (http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/1700150664.html - broken link)

pittsburgh apts/housing for rent classifieds "Mexican" - craigslist
The mexican war streets are where many gays choose to live?

What on earth would make you say that?

Don't you live in the suburbs, not the city??

OP - any of the east end neighborhoods will be great for you (shadyside, squirrel hill (north of the parkway, south of the parkway is more conservative), bloomfield, lawrenceville, north oakland, friendship, southside is where I would look if I were you.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:51 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,009,142 times
I don't think it is ridiculous for gay people to want to know where other gay people tend to live and hang out--particularly not single gay people, for obvious reasons.

Edit: Oh, and there are definitely a good number of gay people in my area, Regent Square and nearby neighborhoods. On the other hand, a lot of them are couples, and I am wondering if there is more of a gay singles scene specifically in a neighborhood like Shadyside. Generally, though, it is easy to get between all the East End neighborhoods.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
The mexican war streets are where many gays choose to live?

What on earth would make you say that?
Because it's true! I have many gay friends who live in the Mexican War Streets. I've met many of their friends and neighbors when I visit them and attend their pareties. Gays have been gentrifying the Mexican War Street area for a long time.

I'm not saying that gays don't live in the East End, I'm just saying that the Mexican War Streets is KNOWN as the predominantly gay neighborhood. Sure, the East End neighborhoods have many gays, but there are also many, many straight people in the East End. The Mexican War Streets has a higher ratio/concentration/density of gays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Don't you live in the suburbs, not the city??
Don't even get started with that again. I've proven time and again that I have more knowledge of the North Side than you.

But the OP would probably be happier in the East End since he asked for chic.

It's important to share what we each know since the OP is asking about the gay scene in Pittsburgh, and the Mexican War Streets is part of that scene.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:42 AM

145 posts, read 283,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Because it's true! I have many gay friends who live in the Mexican War Streets. I've met many of their friends and neighbors when I visit them and attend their pareties. Gays have been gentrifying the Mexican War Street area for a long time.

I'm not saying that gays don't live in the East End, I'm just saying that the Mexican War Streets is KNOWN as the predominantly gay neighborhood.
I have two gay friends who live in that area. I'm no math major, so I won't speculate as to ratios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh