Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 01:04 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiss92 View Post
Oh yes...city neighborhoods. What about Bloomfield or Lawrenceville?
Both of those neighborhoods contain a real mix. On the Friendship end, Bloomfield transitions into big historic homes, but it also has working class rowhouse areas, and so forth. It has a large, diverse commercial district which is Pittsburgh's "Little Italy". Lawrenceville actually spans what the City considers to be three neighborhoods stretching along the Allegheny River, and it has everything from gentrifying areas to industrial areas to decaying blue-collar areas, and so forth. The gentrifying areas most feature rowhouses (some quite nice) and an increasing number of restaurants, shops, and so forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 01:50 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
To the poster of this thread: Don't forget that what your income is that's considered middle class in CT (especially if you live close to NY) may be more on the upper end here in Pittsburgh. It's not that we're poor; you can just get somethings a lot cheaper here (housing especially for you).

Old 04-22-2010, 05:40 PM

8 posts, read 10,309 times
Thanks so much for your help. We will probably look in the South Hills. I do like being close to Southside Works as well. What a great place to hang out. Fun!

Old 04-22-2010, 05:49 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Before you settle on the South Hills, you haven't shared where you both will be working. The South Hills could be a huge mistake if you're working on a different side of town.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:10 PM

8 posts, read 10,309 times
Both working in South Hills area. Is Bethel Park nice? I like suburbs to at least have a small neighborhood downtown. Anyone know Beverly Road near (I think North of) Mt. Lebanon? Looked at a rental there. Upper St. Clair looks great but we want to rent at first. Very few rentals there. Thanks again for your help.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:07 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Bethel Park is a nice area.

Have you considered Peter's Township for when you purchase?

Many people from Upper St. Clair are moving to Peter's Township for the cheaper Washington County real estate taxes.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:30 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,712,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiss92 View Post
Both working in South Hills area. Is Bethel Park nice? I like suburbs to at least have a small neighborhood downtown. Anyone know Beverly Road near (I think North of) Mt. Lebanon? Looked at a rental there. Upper St. Clair looks great but we want to rent at first. Very few rentals there. Thanks again for your help.
I live in USC, and I know of only one apartment complex in the township; on Painters Run Road, very close to Mt. Lebanon. It used to be called Painters Plaza, but the name has changed. It's a good location.
As to Beverly Road in Mt.Lebo, it's a nice little business district, with a few restaurants, hardware store, PNC Bank, etc. There are a number of older apartment buildings on Beverly Rd. It's very convenient to downtown, straight down Banksville Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh