Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 04:38 PM

267 posts, read 815,039 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a native and have lived here most of my 40 plus years. My husband and I have bought two houses here and our children were born here. I love this city and have the most amazing neighbors and coworkers. The problem? My husband just graduated with a teaching degree, and the outlook for him getting hired anytime soon is completely dismal. I've got a decent job, but my husband has been working weekends and going to school part-time for six years to get a master's degree and the best employment he hopes to get in the near future is a long-term subsitute teaching job.

PA apparently graduates 15,000 or so prospective teachers a year, all vying for the few hundred openings that happen. Add to that lots of nepotism in the school districts and that cuts the jobs in half. If I sound bitter, it's because I am. My family have all relocated south in the last 10 or so years and it looks like we'll have to do the same. I'm bitter because we'll be forced to leave here because the declining population has led to schools shutting down and the need for teachers declining as well. I know I'm not alone in being sad about moving - I've seen plenty of posters lamenting the same situation, and sadly, we're probably going to be joining the ranks of the people leaving here. I'm sure I'll be able to get a job wherever we end up going (probably either NC or FL), but it truly breaks my heart to have to pick up and leave.

Just hope my house sells quickly. Sorry if this is a downer, but it is kinda sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 04:55 PM

332 posts, read 1,625,395 times
Wow, I feel bad for you. Sad to have to consider leaving a place you really like . . .

But looking at it from my point of view, I have to ask if you really have to move?

I understand your husband's desire to get into his field of choice, but if you have a good job, why can't your husband do sub-teaching mixed with some other part time work until something permanent opens up? If you've been able to survive his 6 years of school, you can probably do it for a while longer. And unless things have changed a lot, teaching isn't a really high-paying job, so will your overall income really jump if he gets hired on full time?

Anyway, if you do move, I'd suggest that you BOTH have guaranteed jobs lined up prior to moving, otherwise things could get even worse . . .

Best of luck whatever you do . . .

Old 06-10-2007, 04:57 PM

157 posts, read 828,616 times
Hi wordzgirl,

I'm really sorry to read your story. I think I kind of understand your feelings. I've lived in Los Angeles all of my life, and my children were born here and all of our extended family is here, but if we stay here I'll have to work full time and we'll still never own a house in a neighborhood with decent schools and we'll still spend half of our lives in horrible traffic. The issues are different, but there is still sadness to be leaving a place that we've always been not because we are seeking adventure but because we can't make it where we are for reasons that have nothing to do with us. Fortunately for us, we really love Pittsburgh so we think we'll be happy there. And fortunately, I've come to embrace the adventure aspects of living somewhere new. But I do understand your sadness. I hope you find a place that you can be excited about and that it helps a little.

Old 06-10-2007, 05:17 PM

85 posts, read 373,547 times
Hi there...I have to agree with Vagus. If you really want to stay in Pittsburgh, then maybe you somehow could figure out a way to stay. It might involve your husband working part time teaching gigs for a while, but maybe it would be worth it. As I posted earlier, we moved from Pittsburgh to Columbus, Ohio, 13 years ago, and I've never gotten used to the idea of Columbus being "home." I now regret making the move (we moved here for my husband's to go to grad school), because I do think once you leave the Burgh, it is really difficult to get back and secure a job. I do understand what you're saying, though, about your husband wanting to get a good teaching position, so I guess there are a lot of factors to weigh. It is good at least that you have family down in the South...did they also leave Pittsburgh for reasons relating to good employment opportunities? Also, do you have children? I have two kids, and it sure makes all these decisions even more difficult, because you have to consider their feelings about moving, and uprooting a family is a lot harder than a couple. Anyway good luck to you and I hope things work out for the best!

Old 06-10-2007, 05:50 PM

My husband is almost 46 years old, so the thought of him subbing for the next five or so years and competing for the same jobs as 22-year-olds is too depressing to consider. He's really anxious to start his career, and I can understand why. Teachers in PA are notoriously well paid; therefore, the turnover is extremely slow. One of my coworkers is friends with a woman who is 68 years old and still teaching. Since she's bringing in probably close to $80,000, I can see why she's not leaving anytime soon.

My brothers both left the 'burgh for school and jobs; my parents retired to FL five years ago because they got tired of the weather and horrendous property taxes. We DEFINITELY would not leave without first securing employment elsewhere, and then there is the problem of selling our house, which is very nice, in a great school district, but as we all probably know, the real estate market is rather cool. My in-laws are still here, so we'll be coming back up, but I know that once we leave, we'll be gone for good

We have two children, seven and nine, and they don't want to move, but we keep stressing the "new adventure" angle and also the "home is where the family is" angle as well. I actually think the younger they are when we move the better, but since my family has been gone for so long that our friends here have truly become our family.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
wordzgirl,

I'm sorry you're going through this, but your husband had to know there were few job openings for teachers in Pittsburgh prior to choosing to continue his education in this field.

These days, many maintain close friendships after they move out of an area. The internet and unlimited calling plans make it so easy to remain close. Everyone I know who lives away from friends and family always has guests staying at their houses throughout the year. And they're always traveling to visit in other cities too. You'll be able to keep your close friends, and you'll make plenty of new friends wherever you go.

I agree that your children are at a good age to move. Try to remain positive. This truly is an adventure. It could be one of the most wonderful things that happen for your family.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:28 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,921,570 times
PA apparently graduates 15,000 or so prospective teachers a year, all vying for the few hundred openings that happen. Add to that lots of nepotism in the school districts and that cuts the jobs in half.

This makes absolutely no sense. Why are the state teachers' colleges accepting so many students for whom there are no realistic job prospects? And why are so many students enrolling in these education programs when they know (or should know) that there are very few jobs available in the state?

Old 06-10-2007, 06:33 PM

Thanks, everybody, for the good thoughts. Yes, we did know that it would be a possibility that we'd have to leave for him to teach. It's just hard that it's now here upon us. And every time I think of leaving my friends, my heart breaks a little. However, when I was five and lived in Detroit, I became friends with the girl next door, and now 486 years later, she is still one of my closest buddies. We email and call and try to see each other every couple years. She lives in NC now and would LOVE to have us move there. In fact, my husband went to a job fair a couple months ago, and since then, representatives from NC and GA have been contacting him regularly with guarantees of employment.

Plus, I know that almost every area has a Pittsburgh club, or something similar, so the expatriates can get together and watch Steelers games and drink Iron City and bond. Even though I hate football and think IC is a poor excuse for beer, I'm sure I'd be the first one to join

Old 06-10-2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
PA apparently graduates 15,000 or so prospective teachers a year, all vying for the few hundred openings that happen. Add to that lots of nepotism in the school districts and that cuts the jobs in half.

This makes absolutely no sense. Why are the state teachers' colleges accepting so many students for whom there are no realistic job prospects? And why are so many students enrolling in these education programs when they know (or should know) that there are very few jobs available in the state?
Frankly, I believe that the colleges don't really care too much about what the job prospects here are. They're more interested in filling their programs and receiving tuition from the students. My husband told me that his university did tell him that it would be difficult to get a job here in Pittsburgh; however, that didn't come up until he was starting his student teaching, the very end of the program: "But if you are willing to relocate, you'll be able to get a job right out of school!"

Old 06-10-2007, 06:45 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
Pennsylvania universities and colleges aren't just educating people to work in Pennsylvania, clairmarie. Students come from all over the country to receive a teacher's education at Pennsylvania's state colleges. Pennsylvania educates and trains many of the country's teachers. A teacher who receives an education degree and certification is highly desirable candidate throughout the country---and even the world. If you obtain certification in Pennsylvania, you can almost work anywhere.

I really don't understand why anyone is so surprised about this. It's common knowledge that only secondary science and math teachers can have their pick of jobs in Pittsburgh. There is a shortage of those and his age wouldn't matter. I also know there is a shortage of Latin teachers too. (My son had a substitute Latin teacher who didn't even have an education background or certification. She was simply a Russian who knew how to speak Latin.)

If he majored in secondary english or social studies, he does have a good chance of finding a job in a more rural area of Pennsylvania---but then his wife most likely won't find a job comparable to her current one. If he majored in primary education, he won't find a job anywhere in Pennsylvania no matter what his age.

I possess this knowledge because I considered returning to school to pursue teaching as a second career later in life. I did indepth research on this subject. I'm still considering the career change. My husband and I only have two more years before we're done raising our family. Then we can move anywhere. With my current degree, I will only need one year of instruction to to obtain my certification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh