Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 12:32 PM

18 posts, read 57,308 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

After exploring many areas like Green Tree,Bethel Park etc.
i feel that Monroeville offers me few apts within my budget (2BR for $800) and there seem to be few good daycares too.
Not many apts around Green Tree are available for May move in too.

How is the commute from Monroeville to Downtown ? How is the drive from Monroeville to downtown ?

Kindly pass on your opinions.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 12:50 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Well unless your commute is off schedule or until you find back routes, you're going to be stuck in hellish Squirrel Hill tunnel traffic everyday, morning and night.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:55 PM

875 posts, read 1,489,683 times
If you drive it's pretty hellacious to commute between Monroeville and Downtown because of the Parkway East (I-376) traffic. The traffic is regularly stop-and-go for a few miles approaching the Squirrel Hill Tunnels as it is a highway bottleneck. Rush-hour commute with this traffic would approximately be one hour. For this very reason, people often opt for transit. Monroeville and Greentree both have express bus service during the rush hours. If you're commuting during non-rush hours or weekends, the trip time is almost half that, probably around a half an hour.

I'm sure you could find similarly priced apartments closer to town in the East End neighborhoods with many of the amenities you're looking for. Personally, I'm an East End convert, currently living in South Oakland and hoping to stay in the East End for some time to come. The neighborhoods are very accessible on foot, bike, and bus, and I even know several people that own no cars whatsoever. I just wanted to float this your way if this might be more your thing. If not that's fine, and I hope the info could help.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:29 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjgupa View Post
Hi all,

After exploring many areas like Green Tree,Bethel Park etc.
i feel that Monroeville offers me few apts within my budget (2BR for $800) and there seem to be few good daycares too.
Not many apts around Green Tree are available for May move in too.

How is the commute from Monroeville to Downtown ? How is the drive from Monroeville to downtown ?

Kindly pass on your opinions.

Thanks
We have a BEAUTIFUL two bedroom apartment with garage and additional off street parking in Point Breeze for 649 a month. No reason to move that far out. And there's plenty of bus service in our area.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:38 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,451 times
It's 3:30 PM on a Wednesday afternoon. This is a traffic cam on I-376 (Parkway East) leaving the city and heading toward the Squirrel Hill Tunnels/Monroeville. If you think this is bad...4,5,and 6 only get worse.

Commute from Monroeville to downtown-d11-340.jpg

Old 04-28-2010, 01:48 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,712,361 times
Please, do yourself a favor and do NOT move to Monroeville and put up with the heinous commute in and out of downtown. What about an apartment in the South Hills, close to the T, where you can sit and relax during your commute?
The commute into downtown from the East is the worst from any direction, not helped by the dunderheads who insist upon slowing down in the Squirrel Hill Tunnel.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:12 PM

It does my heart good to see so many of you discouraging someone from sitting in that ridiculous commute every day! I'm so proud of you!

Old 04-28-2010, 02:22 PM

18 posts, read 57,308 times
Hi All,

Thank you all for the suggestions.

wow! never imagined commute to be so tough !

Any suggestions on apartment communities around Shadyside,Point Breeze,Regent Park.Got used to living in apartment communities and i feel very difficult hunting for some of these in suburbs near Pittsburgh downtown

Old 04-28-2010, 02:30 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Is there any particular reason you absolutely have to be in a complex? There are a lot of nice apartments throughout the area that are in converted houses or small apartment buildings.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjgupa View Post
Hi All,

Thank you all for the suggestions.

wow! never imagined commute to be so tough !

Any suggestions on apartment communities around Shadyside,Point Breeze,Regent Park.Got used to living in apartment communities and i feel very difficult hunting for some of these in suburbs near Pittsburgh downtown
Check out Steiner properties. Great looking places and alot of amentities for the price
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh