Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2010, 04:06 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,417,373 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I will be traveling to downtown next week for work and staying at the Marriott City Center. I will have no car and will rely on public transportation to get around. Is most of downtown safe to walk around in the evenings? There will be two of us walking around to grab dinner or drinks at night. Besides using the usual street smarts are there areas we should absolutely avoid while on foot? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 05:49 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,648,632 times
Standard precautions, no, nowhere downtown you need to avoid walking in the evening. Now you may not want to walk too much farther UPtown from the Marriott, but there isn't anything in particular up there to draw you at night, I don't think.

You'll be walking well uphill from anywhere else downtown on the way back to the Marriott, keep that in mind.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:22 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,007,387 times
greg42 covered it: Downtown itself has no "bad" areas anymore.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:31 PM

419 posts, read 448,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Standard precautions, no, nowhere downtown you need to avoid walking in the evening. Now you may not want to walk too much farther UPtown from the Marriott, but there isn't anything in particular up there to draw you at night, I don't think.

You'll be walking well uphill from anywhere else downtown on the way back to the Marriott, keep that in mind.
Dude, Ace's and Deuces man. That's a happening spot.

OP, Beware of the pigeon poop at Mellon square and the giant rats that run rampant up there around sunrise. No joke. When I use to smoke I would go up there before my bus and have a smoke early in the morning. It is worse than inside a NYC subway.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:24 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,417,373 times
Thanks for the info (and poop warning)! I do have a follow-up question...are taxis readily available or are they something you would need to have a number handy for and give them a ring when you are ready? Also, if you have any food recommendations in the area I'd love to hear them.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:06 AM

783 posts, read 2,021,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Thanks for the info (and poop warning)! I do have a follow-up question...are taxis readily available or are they something you would need to have a number handy for and give them a ring when you are ready? Also, if you have any food recommendations in the area I'd love to hear them.
Taxis focus on certain spots. After midnight on the South Side they are everywhere and you can wave them down because so many bars and clubs are there. It's not like that in most places. If you need a ride from the Marriot, just call down to the front desk and tell them you need a taxi and it should be there in 10 mins. Also, the Marriot will probably have a free shuttle that goes from Oakland to the South Side, then through downtown. I would avoid Ace's and Deuces. That place looks like pure crap. Basically, it's a ghetto black bar. I can only assume the post about it was a joke. Don't go in there. You don't have to take my advice though, simply walk past it and have a look. You won't want to go inside unless you need a heroine fix.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:37 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,007,387 times
Cabs are definitely not roaming the streets like in some cities. I'd arm myself with a phone number, although if you are near a few spots (like the William Penn hotel) you may be able to find one sitting.

There are actually quite a few good spots for eating in the Downtown area these days. In The Cultural District, I'd suggest Tonic (upscale bar food), Seviche (Latin fusion/tapas), Sonoma Grille (Californian), and Six Penn (upscale American). In The Strip you might check out Eleven (also upscale American), Kaya (Caribbean), Sushi Kim (sushi and Korean) or Lidia's (modern Italian). I've heard good things about Habitat, a new place in the newest skyscraper Downtown, Three PNC (I think they do Asian and American). If you are looking more casual, Mexico City is nice, and we are big fans of Villa Reale (pizza and such).

Old 04-29-2010, 10:40 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,674,264 times
I second all of Brian's suggestions above. Two other casual suggestions, both on Penn Avenue, are August Henry's and Mark's Grille.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:57 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,813,981 times
I like six penn, I'll third that one

Old 04-29-2010, 11:13 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,539,142 times
I highly recommend Lidia's, great food and service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: