Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 08:52 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu6035 View Post
So glad to hear that! I know we'll have to adjust to the winter (especially for me having only ever lived in Texas and Southern California), but we LOVE to ski so we figure that can make up for it! When we were in town a few weeks ago the weather was so wonderful, we cannot wait to be there and experience cooler temps. The humidity in Houston right now is 91% and it's so gross and wet that everything outside can't even dry. It feels like a sauna when you step outside. I will not miss days like this or the 100 degree days in the summer!
And just think; when us natives are complaining that it's starting to get hot when it's 85 F you can laugh at us. I think it's been since the early 90's since Pittsburgh has had a day over 100 so it's really rare here and I hope I don't see one anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 09:03 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,058,429 times
Quote:
Well, now you know if you want really cheap housing, head to Texas!
It's not more expensive than Texas, it's different. New-ish homes in Robinson, Cranberry Twp., Upper St Clair, Peters Twp. are similar in price to old homes in Houston's Inner Loop, central Ft Worth, central Austin, and White Rock/Uptown Dallas.

Old homes inside the City of Pittsburgh, Bellevue, Carnegie, Swissvale, Millvale, Etna, Crafton are similar in price to new-ish homes in Arlington, Garland, Irving, Frisco, Round Rock, Katy, The Woodlands, Sugar Land, and Clear Lake.

To make it simple - If you're moving from Texas and want a suburban McMansion here, you'll be in for a little bit of sticker shock. On the other hand, if you've always craved an Arts & Crafts or Victorian in a real neighborhood with easy access to mass transit, you'll think you've died and gone to Heaven.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:00 PM

1,895 posts, read 3,414,676 times
speaking of weather...i'm trying to figure out if the summers down in Texas are as bad as the winters up here in Pittsburgh...i'll update after this summer! lol...

Old 05-01-2010, 02:53 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
A slave to heat in the winter, or a slave to A/C in the summer -- take your pick.

Me personally, I prefer the one that at least brings 4 full seasons.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:01 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Texas has cheap housing prices because they have lots and lots and lots and lots of LAND. Mostly flat land at that. When you have a glut of supply, prices won't go very high. That might be part of why the cost of a new house in the Pittsburgh area is a bit more expensive: because there's not as much land that's genuinely developable.

(Didn't Texas have their own real estate "bubble" back in the 1980's too?)

Old 05-03-2010, 08:50 AM

17 posts, read 35,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
On this forum we're so used to hearing people from the East Coast and CA coming here saying how cheap our housing prices are. It's somewhat strange to hear just the opposite when people from TX plan to move here.
Not really. We have our house on the market and we have to price it (this is no lie) 100K LESS than what we bought it for. We are not the only ones either that are in this position.

I don't understand how people can say that Pittsburgh is cheap. It is NOT. Housing and taxes are more expensive and you DON'T get much for the money either. Most places are really rundown unless you can get into the 200K range and then even that is pushing it.

Utilities are more expensive, food is more expensive and the list goes on.

Sorry - I'm not from Pittsburgh originally. I'm hoping to find a job elsewhere. But at my level, it's pretty much wait until a recruiter has a good lead.

There are some nice things about Pittsburgh, but I have found more negative things than positive.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:01 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassheart View Post
Not really. We have our house on the market and we have to price it (this is no lie) 100K LESS than what we bought it for. We are not the only ones either that are in this position.

My guess is you bought in an uppper income area and the values were over 500K. I would never go that high in the Greater Pgh Area.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:14 AM

17 posts, read 35,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
My guess is you bought in an uppper income area and the values were over 500K. I would never go that high in the Greater Pgh Area.
You are correct. Unfortunately, not being from this area we did not realize that it was a BIG waste of money. If we had lived in Pittsburgh a year before buying, we would have moved. Hindsight is everything.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:34 PM

24 posts, read 38,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
So how high would you go? We're about to buy and don't want to buy too high and have issues with selling down the road. We've been looking anywhere between $300-upper $400's.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:52 PM

1,895 posts, read 3,414,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassheart View Post

I don't understand how people can say that Pittsburgh is cheap. It is NOT. Housing and taxes are more expensive and you DON'T get much for the money either. Most places are really rundown unless you can get into the 200K range and then even that is pushing it.

Utilities are more expensive, food is more expensive and the list goes on.

Sorry - I'm not from Pittsburgh originally. I'm hoping to find a job elsewhere. But at my level, it's pretty much wait until a recruiter has a good lead.

There are some nice things about Pittsburgh, but I have found more negative things than positive.

that's horrible news...where did you buy this home?

Quote:
So how high would you go? We're about to buy and don't want to buy too high and have issues with selling down the road. We've been looking anywhere between $300-upper $400's.
i'm no pro, but i've heard the past couple years that the homes selling above the $300k range are most vulnerable to price fluctuation...

hopefully you've hired a very knowledgeable RE Agent to help you out with that...

i believe the old saying, "location, location, location..." are key here...well established neighborhoods where people are looking to settle down, rather than moving out would be the places i would seek...

if lowering your price range isn't a possibility, maybe renting for a year or two wouldn't be a bad idea...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh