Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 06:53 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,401,223 times

Advertisements

hello ya'll (yinzers)! lol...

first off, thanks for the great information i received when inquiring about the area, it was appreciated.

we ended up finding a 2bed/1bath home in Burgettstown, PA, back in December...it was somewhat of a nightmare renting situation, but with our circumstances, having 3 cats and a 75lb GSD, it was next to impossible finding a place to rent!

mental note, and advice to future transplanters from Texas...no moving to Pittsburgh in the dead of winter!! needless to say, i'll be well prepared for the winters to come...

in march we started looking for a place to buy...we wanted a 3bed/2bath, with a 2 car garage, and wanted to stay out of Allegheny County due to the high taxes...we immediately were dissappointed b/c most the places we looked at in our initial price range ($100-$120k) were less than desireable.

you see, in texas, we "owned" a home in arlington, tx...a 3bed/2bath/2car garage, in a nice neighborhood...and only paid $112k. we were hard pressed to find anything comparable up in the areas we were looking.

we mainly focused on areas along I-79, just south of the Allegheny County line...

I noticed many Townhomes in the area, and although we preferred a single family home, mainly for privacy...we decided to just take a look at some of them. We found we could get alot more home for our $$ in the Townhomes...

So, in April, we ended up making a purchase...just moved into our new home last weekend, and we're loving it! We're in a plan called, "Cherrybrook", it was developed in the mid 90's, and the builder was Heartland, which I've received some positive feedback as being one of the better builders in the area!

It's literally 100 yards south of the County line, and in the Cannon-Mac school district, which from what i've learned, is a pretty good school district...although, we won't have kids going to school for another 3-4 years...

i love the smalltown feel of Bridgeville...driving through the "main drag" of Bridgeville, i enjoyed the small mom and pop stores, along with the many other bigger names available...

we're still unpacking, what a chore...not one of my favorite things to do...luckily, my wife stays at home with the kiddoes and has a nack for that kind of thing!

that's about all i have for yinzers at this time...i welcome any feedback, advice, or information that would help a newcomer to the area!

thanks, and cheers to ya....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 10:21 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,861,408 times
First, thank you so much for taking the time for an update. We help out a lot of people here and then never find out what happened--which is fine, but it is always a treat to get an update.

Second, congratulations! It sounds like you found yourself in a good situation and I hope you continue to enjoy it.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:42 AM

12,527 posts, read 17,435,340 times
You're in a good area and Bridgeville has a fairly decent "dahntahn" area with a couple of nice pubs. Canon-MacMillan, two of my favorite detectives, is a good school district. Just google map the high school, an amazing complex.

And please, don't say yinz.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
And please, don't say yinz.

but i was only trying to fit in! hehehe!

Old 04-29-2010, 12:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,705,069 times
Now if you can just get an LS1 under the bonnet of that 944, you'll be all set to rip sh*t up through the mountain passes.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
but i was only trying to fit in! hehehe!

y'all is pleasant, yinz is grating.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:43 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,861,408 times
Quote:
Yinz is Scots-Irish, and therefore those are by definition fighting words.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:54 PM

Yo, I am Scots-Irish, but God forbid we ever said Yinz. or I seen. or I ain't got.

Yinz was never said in our house, my Mother wouldn't allow it.

So stop being nebby and redd up your house.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Now if you can just get an LS1 under the bonnet of that 944, you'll be all set to rip sh*t up through the mountain passes.

oh man...it's a dream, one of these days...one of the days!

Old 04-29-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
just to clarify...i've never said Yinzers out loud, and honestly, i doubt i would pronounce it correctly! i'll just stick with ya'll...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh