Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2010, 07:43 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times

Advertisements

There has been lots of buzz about a new Brookings report on U.S. metropolitan areas. Among other things, they advocate categorizing metro areas not by location, but by type, using three factors: population growth, racial/ethnic diversity, and college degrees. Using that methodology, Pittsburgh ends up being a "Skilled Anchor" because of its slower growth, lower diversity, and higher educational attainment. Peer cities would include places like Baltimore and Akron, but not Cleveland or Philly. Anyway, here is a map:

And a link:

A New Metropolitan Map for the United States - Up Front Blog - Brookings Institution
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 07:56 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Honolulu & Miami are 'diverse giant'....that's interesting. I always thought of them as tourist customer-service type places...

Also interesting, the 'border growth' cities...basically just have a lot of people of mexican ethnicity growth...

Old 05-12-2010, 08:12 AM

"Diverse Giant" means highly diverse and educated, but slower growth.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:21 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
There has been lots of buzz about a new Brookings report on U.S. metropolitan areas. Among other things, they advocate categorizing metro areas not by location, but by type, using three factors: population growth, racial/ethnic diversity, and college degrees. Using that methodology, Pittsburgh ends up being a "Skilled Anchor" because of its slower growth, lower diversity, and higher educational attainment. Peer cities would include places like Baltimore and Akron, but not Cleveland or Philly.
Actually, Philly's a skilled anchor as well.

This is an interesting read but the data behind the metro area groups is not entirely transparent. As I understand it, the only difference between "Industrial Core" and "Skilled Anchor" is high educational attainment (the other 2 factors you cite are common to both). Yet there's no table showing those numbers by metro (or even any average for that particular factor), and I couldn't really find evidence in their interactive maps that Pittsburgh has a higher educational attainment than, say, Cleveland.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Actually, Philly's a skilled anchor as well.
Oops-misread the map.

Quote:
This is an interesting read but the data behind the metro area groups is not entirely transparent. As I understand it, the only difference between "Industrial Core" and "Skilled Anchor" is high educational attainment (the other 2 factors you cite are common to both). Yet there's no table showing those numbers by metro (or even any average for that particular factor), and I couldn't really find evidence in their interactive maps that Pittsburgh has a higher educational attainment than, say, Cleveland.
Yeah, that's a problem. I like the overall concept, but this doesn't seem particularly well-executed.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:20 AM

296 posts, read 560,808 times
DC is the next frontier as long as the government keeps generating jobs like there is no tomorrow - which I guess will be for forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh