Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 08:55 AM

17 posts, read 55,728 times

Advertisements

I'm from Maryland, and I moved here at the end of the season last year. Now I'm wondering, what do you guys do in the summer? I'm used to sitting on the pier by the bay fishing and crabbing, or going to the beach and laying out. When I was at school in Morgantown, we trekked back in the woods to the lake and found neat little waterfalls.

Is there anything like that here? Any outdoor, water area? What do you do in the summer?

What about pools? I live in the southside. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 09:06 AM

142 posts, read 365,406 times
Welcome to Pittsburgh ashaleenicole! Hey, I work on the South Side. Cool area

As far as outdoorsy type things, there are many community and municipal pools in the area. The Dormont pool would be convenient for you -- and others in the South Hills maybe.

If you like real nature, then there are spots along the Allegheny river that have parks, marinas and stuff. Also, some state parks with swimming are not too far away -- like Moraine State Park (about 1 hour drive north). The Ohiopyle area in Fayette county is also nice -- they have rafting, tubing and other outdoor stuff.

Being a landlocked state, the options are kind of limited, but we do have some gorgeous scenery.

So what brings you to the burgh? I've been in the area for about 5 years, so I'm still discovering things!

Old 05-21-2010, 09:08 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,051,221 times
I go to Kennywood, Sand Castle Water Park, visit the Pittsburgh Zoo, take walks along the North Shore, visit Point State Park and sit at the fountain, visit the wave pools out Settler's Cabin or South Park, visit the spray park at Mellon Park (there actually are 5 of these spray parks the city), have lunch at this one restaurant, on Washington's Landing (forget the name of the place) while watching people launch their boats into the river...sometimes when I feel like driving, I'll drive up Erie and visit Splash Lagoon, which is an INDOOR water park.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:04 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,001,421 times
We've got a 4 y.o., and we do a lot of park visits and zoo visits. We've been exploring the North Shore Riverfront Park, which is kinda cool. We've been to Duck Hollow many times. You can do all sorts of stuff on the rivers and in the parks, and within a short drive you can get into more serious hiking, climbing, camping, rafting, and so on.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:51 AM

285 posts, read 861,635 times
There is a community pool right in the south side. Around 20th and Sydney?

Old 05-21-2010, 01:16 PM

356 posts, read 916,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
the spray park at Mellon Park (there actually are 5 of these spray parks the city.
Are there 5 spray parks in the city? I know of the Troy Hill Spray park but thought the other 4 were still in the planning or construction stages (including Mellon Park). I would love to be wrong about this, though.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:31 PM

75 posts, read 172,176 times
ashaleenicole,

You're asking "any water area?" in a city with Three Rivers?

In the summer, people go kayaking the three rivers. There's places to rent kayaks by PNC Park. Not to mention, there's jetski rentals nearby as well. Here's some other great suggestions nearby...

- Whitewater rafting the Youghogheny River at Ohiopyle State Park about an hour away.

- There's great fisheries locally. An enormously expansive wooded rural lake within an hour of town is
Lake Arthur in Morraine State Park in Butler County.

- If you want a TRULY AWESOME summery nightime bar, try the Cabana Club in Wexford. It's an
acre of sand and hammocks and firepits and waterfalls etc. You almost forget you're in the
Pittsburgh area.

- Sandcastle Park. It's a great waterpark, and it's right near Kennywood Park, and all the new
Waterworks development with theatres, outdoor shopping areas, etc. A day spent in that area is a
great summer day.

- Go to the Three Rivers Arts Festival coming up in a few weeks. All day art galleries outdoors, live
music from some big-name acts, food all over the place, right at the tip of Pittsburgh.

- You want outdoors? Do you realize you can bike the C&O Bikeway, from 9 miles outside the city in
McKeesport, all the way to Washington DC, paralleling rivers most of the way?

- Why not enjoy a great outdoor dinner at a scenic restaurant? Like the outdoor decks of the Kohl
Steakhouse (formerly the Grandview Saloon) overlooking the city on Mt.Washington on a nice
summer night?

- Don't forget, you're not TOO far from a lot of the cool places you talked about to the south, like
the waterfalls along Big Sandy River in West Virginia, Coopers Rock State Park nearby, and Deep
Creek Lake in Maryland. All 3 are within about 2 hours.

- Enjoy some really fun downhill mountain biking at Seven Springs Resort about 1:15 outside of
the city.

- What about smaller arts festivals? I just got back from the Shadyside Arts Festival today, it was
great, and it hardly even made local news.

- Take in some beers on a fireworks night at PNC Park and enjoy a ballgame at America's most
beautiful ballpark. If you're from Maryland, get tickets when we play the Nationals or the Orioles,
and since we're the Pirates, you'll likely get to see your team win!

My point is, Pittsburgh ABOUNDS with great outdoor opportunities locally.

You're in a city with 3 enormous rivers, endless pastoral countryside around you, and you're an hour from gods-country in the Appalachian Mountains. If you can't find something outdoors to do with that hand of cards, it's laziness on your part, not lack of opportunities by Pittsburgh.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:17 AM

17 posts, read 55,728 times
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!!

I know there are rivers,obviously, but being new here, i don't know where there are open areas, like launch areas or places where people gather riverfront. I will have to look into that kayaking and jet skiing on the North Shore!

JoshM25- I moved here to do my Master's in Child Psychology at Duquesne. I'm almost done, but I'm thinking about applying to PhD programs in the area as well.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:32 AM

145 posts, read 283,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashaleenicole View Post
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!!

I know there are rivers,obviously, but being new here, i don't know where there are open areas, like launch areas or places where people gather riverfront. I will have to look into that kayaking and jet skiing on the North Shore!

JoshM25- I moved here to do my Master's in Child Psychology at Duquesne. I'm almost done, but I'm thinking about applying to PhD programs in the area as well.
I live in the Southside as well. There is a public boat launch if you follow 18th Street down to the river (cross the railroad tracks, head right, and keep going...the trail will lead you right to it). I currently live on 18th and the traffic increases 100x in the summer, so I'm sure there are people moving around down there. More info on the trail itself: LocalHikes - South Side Rail Trail.

I'm not sure of your age bracket, but you'll find a lot of the early/mid-20's "young professional" crowd around Sandcastle, especially on Sunday afternoons. The waterpark has boat access as well, which can provide a double-whammy as far as summer recreation goes.

The North Shore also really picks up around the Pirates season schedule. Weekend games usually bring an elevated buzz to that area and can make for some all-day parties.

Back to Southside, East Carson will be buzzing all day/night once the warm weather sticks around. Southside Works is the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh