U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2010, 06:48 PM

39 posts, read 144,688 times

Advertisements

Hi guys. I'm from Philly. Never been further west than Carlisle, PA. Always heard about Pittsburgh growing up (steel center in the past, Pirates, Steelers, Three Rivers, Carnegie Mellon, pierogies, etc) and it fascinates me. I don't hate on our sister city because it doesn't make sense IMO Anyway, I know Philly's sphere of influence radiates from South Jersey to about Lancaster/York Counties to the west, Lehigh County to the north, and Delaware County to the south. Just wondering what distance does the "Burgh" influence its surroundngs. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 08:55 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,294,964 times
Strongly in southwestern Pa. That's as far north as New Castle, east to Johnstown, and to the state lines. To a lesser extent, the northern panhandle of WV, and as far south as Clarksburg. West into Ohio, as far west as I-77, and as far north as Youngstown, though the Cleveland influence is slightly stronger there. East as far as Altoona, and the western panhandle of Maryland, including Cumberland. North to Lake Erie. As for Philly, I think you are shotchanging Philly's influence. It easily extends strongly as far west as Harrisburg, and less strongly as far west as Pittsburgh. The larger city rarely hates on the smaller. The Pittsburgh/Philly relationship is quite similar to the Philly/NYC relationship, but with Philly playing the opposite role.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:23 PM

20,273 posts, read 30,029,654 times
You might find this Wikipedia article interesting:

Pittsburgh Tri-State - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pittsburgh doesn't have a major competing city all that close in any direction, so is the main service/cultural center for a pretty decent chunk of territory.

Oh, and I don't sense much Philly-hate in Pittsburgh (some grumbling about Philly's role in state politics, but not hate). If we had a "rival" it would be Cleveland, and even that doesn't seem like that big of deal.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:24 PM

21 posts, read 69,728 times
Growing up in State College Pa the media was heavily dominated by the Pittsburgh sphere of influence. I watched the Steelers more than the Eagles and most locals identified more with that part of the state. I've seen a number of steelers fans out in Reading, Allentown and parts of Northeastern Pa too.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:51 PM

12,091 posts, read 15,248,661 times
I for one am glad that the next Governor will be from the Western part of the state. I've been to Harrisburg-Philly too many times and have seen all the money they get. Western PA is like the red headed step child, IHMO.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:02 AM

13,496 posts, read 19,398,127 times
From the Maryland state line, follow Blue Mountain up to the Susquehanna River, and then follow the Susquehanna River north to Williamsport. From there, just draw a line parallel to I-80 out to the Ohio state line. Everything south and west of that line is Pittsburgh's sphere of influence in Pennsylvania -- although State College does have some eastern Pennsylvania influence being that it's the largest university in the state.

In Ohio, it's everything to the east of a line from Youngstown to Cambridge to Marietta. In West Virginia, it's everything north of a line from Parkersburg to Elkins. In Maryland, it's everything to the west of the Potomac River's northernmost point.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:37 PM

75 posts, read 158,854 times
Take out a map, and draw a diamond connecting St.Clairsville, Ohio to the west, Meadville, Pa to the north, Altoona, Pa to the east, and Fairmont WV to the south.

Inside that diamond, I'd say the vast majority of people root for Pittsburgh sports, consider Pittsburgh the major city that they consider the closest thing to their "hometown big city" etc.

Any further west, it's Columbus, any further north, it starts to battle Cleveland, any further east, you hit a pocket so rural they don't consider themselves associated with ANY big city, and any further south, and you get West Virginians that follow Mountaineer sports, and pay no homage to Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh