Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 06:18 PM

807 posts, read 616,779 times

Advertisements

So there are a few soccer bars in Pittsburgh -- most notably (probably) Pipers Pub on the South Side. However, for big games, like today's Champions League final (go Inter!), the place is standing room only and then some. Still, in checking out a few additional bars -- Fatheads (lacrosse, come on -- lacrosse?); Smokin Joes (Golf and drunk meatheads); Ruggers (not even sure what was going on in there); and Over the Bar Bicycle Cafe (lacrosse again, WTF?), I couldn't find another South Side venue that was showing the game. Any hidden gems out there that I am missing? I know Harp and Fiddle in the Strip will be airing many of the World Cup games and I had a great time watching the 2006 World Cup final in the Tap Room of all places (Pipers, Harp, and the street in front of La Prima were filled to capacity), but just wondering if the city data community knows of any other options I am missing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 07:38 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Ha, that's funny about the lacrosse. We ate a late lunch in the bar at Blue Water Tavern (Wexford) yesterday, and they had the lacrosse on there as well (on a couple TVs, and golf on the other two). The bartender and I think another employee seemed to be into the lacrosse match. I know it's the NCAA tourney (only because it said so on the screen, hehe, quarterfinals yesterday), but still, a little odd!

The thing is, the Champions League final, is that on any typical US cable channel? I thought I saw an ad for pay per view or something the other day. Unless it's on a regular channel though, it's not likely to be on in a regular bar. Pipers is a special case, but then given the turnout, perhaps there's a market for another pub like that. If it IS on a regular channel, though, there's no reason you couldn't get another bar to switch to it, especially on an apparently slow afternoon for other stuff like yesterday.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:33 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Sorry, but Soccer sucks. No eye-hand coordination needed. I hate it. Soccer Moms cheer when there is a tie. When it's the #1 sport in this country, we are 3rd world.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:54 AM

807 posts, read 616,779 times
Copa -- you're like the grumpy old uncle of city-data. Here's a test, on June 11, the U.S. is playing Great Britain in the opening round of the World Cup. Here's what you do -- drink a pint of some good beer about 15 minutes before the game starts; have a few more pints during the 1st half, and perhaps another at halftime. If you're not enjoying the game at that point, then (I guess) you're just not a soccer fan.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:17 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
I put soccer into the same category as hockey--you have to understand the game to enjoy the action, because so much of it is about positioning and so forth.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:23 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
Copa -- you're like the grumpy old uncle of city-data. Here's a test, on June 11, the U.S. is playing Great Britain in the opening round of the World Cup. Here's what you do -- drink a pint of some good beer about 15 minutes before the game starts; have a few more pints during the 1st half, and perhaps another at halftime. If you're not enjoying the game at that point, then (I guess) you're just not a soccer fan.

I drink that much to enjoy a Pirates game!!!

Old 05-23-2010, 06:49 PM

78 posts, read 217,724 times
The only other "soccer" bar I know of in Pittsburgh is Claddagh Irish Pub in the South Side Works next to Cheesecake Factory.

Rock Bottom in The Waterfront is doing a special promotion for the US-England game, Futbol, Foosbol and Firkins.

We need more in Pittsburgh! The interest is here for this rapidly growing game.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:55 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Sorry, but Soccer sucks. No eye-hand coordination needed. I hate it. Soccer Moms cheer when there is a tie. When it's the #1 sport in this country, we are 3rd world.
That's right. When a real sport that takes real physical ability and stamina takes this country over, well, parts of this country already are 3rd world.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:48 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I drink that much to enjoy a Pirates game!!!
I need way more than that to enjoy a Pirates game. Baseball is, to me anyway, a very very boring sport. That coupled with the fact that the Pirates are awful makes it unwatchable.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:16 PM

222 posts, read 438,914 times
i love soccer....maybe try a mexican owned restaurant. i know they love their futbol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: