Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 02:58 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,629,899 times

Advertisements

I have been seeing the ad for this apartment in North Point Breeze and was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the neighborhood and rental agency?

Available 6/1 - Charming Studio, DW, AC, 1 Block to Busline (http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/1757140820.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 11:07 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,373,781 times
It's on the wrong side of Penn Avenue and they're asking way too much money for the little you get. I don't think the Frick Art Museum is there and it's much farther than a block to the park.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:08 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,078 times
Doesn't Scott live in Point Breeze? I think he'd be able to help you.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:58 AM

After looking at the ad, I just realized that it's a studio (no bedroom.) I'll keep looking.

Thanks anyway

Old 05-25-2010, 05:22 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodistortion View Post
Doesn't Scott live in Point Breeze? I think he'd be able to help you.
Yep I do. That place actually is as close to the Frick as it says it is, and equally as close to the park as it claims. Although the "North" denomination to Point Breeze is usually looked on as more Homewood than anything, that street has some beautiful safe homes for quite some distance.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:57 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,230,102 times
You could get a one bedroom somewhere in Bloomfield or Lawrenceville for the same price. That top floor studio on Homewood Avenue should be about $425.000 to $450.00 tops in that neighborhood. That is by Pittsburgh standards. Although it is electric heat, which means you will not have a gas bill, that will save you some. I still would not take it.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
You could get a one bedroom somewhere in Bloomfield or Lawrenceville for the same price. That top floor studio on Homewood Avenue should be about $425.000 to $450.00 tops in that neighborhood. That is by Pittsburgh standards. Although it is electric heat, which means you will not have a gas bill, that will save you some. I still would not take it.
One of the problems with Craigslist listings is that they mismark thier ads. This one in particular was posted multiple times (which I hate) and the ads are marked as either a studio or 1BR. Mark it what it is, a studio. Don't be misleading. That is why I am moving on.

Where abouts in Lawrenceville? I have seen numerous ads for ones located off the 50s end of Lawrenceville and am leery about living that far down.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:15 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
It depends on what means most to you. I feel we have a great value in our home in Point Breeze, but we were offered an entire two story home in Bloomfield. However, it was on a very very narrow street with no driveway. You get what you pay for.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:54 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I have been seeing the ad for this apartment in North Point Breeze and was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the neighborhood and rental agency?

Available 6/1 - Charming Studio, DW, AC, 1 Block to Busline (http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/1757140820.html - broken link)
Neighborhood = pretty good, can walk to some stuff (such as the museum, Frick Park, East End Co-Op), close to buses on Penn without all the actual noise. It's not all that close to other sorts of action (shopping, grocery store other than the Co-Op, restaurants/bars) though. We went to the playground that's about 1-2 blocks away a few times. North Point Breeze gets a bad rap but it's actually much leafier and the residential streets are much better looking than Bloomfield (and most of Lawrenceville as well).

Rental agency = We visited a few of their places but never rented with them. They have a lot of good looking places but we always felt that they were charging way too much, and it looks to me the case here.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:01 PM

7 posts, read 14,756 times
I was looking at this posting as well and am glad to hear this feedback. Is walking around a neighborhood really the best way to find a rental in Pittsburgh? I'm probably only going to be in town for a few days, so it would be nice to have some showings lined up. But Craigslist really doesn't seem to have many apartments in the areas I'd want (Bloomfield, Friendship, Shadyside, Lawrenceville, Point Breeze, Squirrel Hill) for the prices people have listed as acceptable higher up in this thread. Especially Lawrenceville - there are very few postings on CL! So, any recommendations for where else to look from afar?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh