Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 04:13 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Back in 1985 i was 6 years old

Even being so young I remember that day vividly, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 08:35 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,180,492 times
I was five years old at the time and remember it vividly. I recall hiding in the basement in our farmhouse in Venango County. One of the tornados jumped over our house. The forests of Cooperstown (about ten minutes away) were absolutely devastated. It was like a Biblical event had happened.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:06 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,058,429 times
Is that the tornado outbreak that took out the Jamesway on PA 18 in Beaver County?

Old 06-02-2010, 09:49 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Is that the tornado outbreak that took out the Jamesway on PA 18 in Beaver County?
Probably. Beaver Falls took a direct hit.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Yes it is. My uncle was driving by there when the tornado came through, and he was very fortunate that he wasn't badly hurt or worse. The city of Beaver Falls itself was spared, as this F3 tornado passed just to the north in Big Beaver and then crossed the Beaver River into North Sewickley, passing less than a mile away from my neighborhood. I'm writing this on the twenty-seventh anniversary.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:25 PM

It was 27 years ago today that I officially became a weather geek. A couple of interesting facts about this tornado outbreak:

1. The F5 tornado that passed through Trumbull County, OH and Mercer County, PA is the first tornado known to have high-quality home video footage. Credit goes to somebody in Newton Falls, OH who filmed it approaching a local park. The tornado was only an F3 at the time, though, so it wasn't until later that somebody in Hermitage, PA became the first person to film a tornado of F5 intensity on high-quality home video. This was the most powerful tornado in the United States in 1985, being the only F5 reported that year.

2. The F4 tornado that passed through the Moshannon and Sproul State Forests created the first known "debris ball" to be observed on radar. At times, the track width was over two miles wide, giving it one of the widest tracks of any tornado in United States meteorological history. It was so powerful that it even set of seismometers a few miles away. Amazingly, in spite of a 69-mile-long track, there were no fatalities because it never passed through any populated areas.

Last edited by Craziaskowboi; 05-31-2012 at 03:33 PM..

Old 05-31-2012, 04:53 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
It was 27 years ago today that I officially became a weather geek. A couple of interesting facts about this tornado outbreak:

1. The F5 tornado that passed through Trumbull County, OH and Mercer County, PA is the first tornado known to have high-quality home video footage. Credit goes to somebody in
Newton Falls, OH who filmed it approaching a local park. The tornado was only an F3 at the time, though, so it wasn't until later that somebody in
Hermitage, PA became the first person to film a tornado of F5 intensity on high-quality home video. This was the most powerful tornado in the United States in 1985, being the only F5 reported that year.

2. The F4 tornado that passed through the Moshannon and Sproul State Forests created the first known "debris ball" to be observed on radar. At times, the track width was over two miles wide, giving it one of the widest tracks of any tornado in United States meteorological history. It was so powerful that it even set of seismometers a few miles away. Amazingly, in spite of a 69-mile-long track, there were no fatalities because it never passed through any populated areas.
Today is also 10 years since these severe storms destroyed Kennywood park and blew down a lot of trees in Lawrenceville at the Allegheny Cemetery.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:05 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
Here's a new video:

Niles - Wheatland F5 Tornado 5-31-1985 - YouTube

Even though I was only six years old at the time it's something I will never forget. It didn't actually hit my town, but Niles and Newton Falls are a short distance away. To this day I'm still scared to death of the tornado siren.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:52 PM

May 31 overall is just a bad day for weather in western Pennsylvania. In 1889 was the Johnstown Flood. In 1985 was the Pennsylvania-Ohio tornado outbreak, a.k.a. the U.S.-Canada tornado outbreak. (There were deadly tornadoes in Ontario that day as well, up to F4 in intensity.) In 2002 was the microburst at Kennywood Park.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:33 PM

747 posts, read 1,231,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
It's also been 8 years since the micro-bursts of 2002 that destroyed the Whip roof at Kennywood and knocked down a lot of trees in the Allegheny Cemetery and other places in Lawrenceville. And June 1st or 2nd is also 12 years since the Mt. Washington tornado. Is it me or is there a trend with severe weather around this date?
That storm killed one of my employees. She was a beautiful person and loved kennywood. uo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh