Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:55 AM

11 posts, read 24,344 times

Advertisements

Detailed review on Primantis if anyone is looking to going there this week.

Highlights -

Quote:
These are one of these reviews I have been waiting quite a while to write. Having been born and raised in Pittsburgh it angers me that every TV spot, food correlation, or culture association is somehow linked to this place. Pittsburgh has so much to offer at a cultural level that the pinnacle of Pittsburgh cuisine is a sloppy sandwich that we buy when we are too hammered to taste anything anyways is a slap in the face to the city that I was born and raised in. But off the review.
Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by Yac; 06-07-2010 at 03:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 11:09 AM

457 posts, read 1,279,806 times
Primanti's = exceedingly overrated.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:28 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Uhm, pretty much every major city is known for its "pedestrian" cuisine (to the extent that it's known for its cuisine at all), even those that have their fair share of haute cuisine. NYC = pizza, bagel; Chicago = deep dish pizza; L.A. = taquerias. Cincinnati = chili. Seattle = coffee. Kansas City, Memphis = barbecue. San Francisco = Frisco melt. So I'm not sure why the whining that people associate Pittsburgh with Primanti Brothers sandwiches. The whinging ponce who wrote that review ought really to get over himself.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:46 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,590,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Uhm, pretty much every major city is known for its "pedestrian" cuisine (to the extent that it's known for its cuisine at all), even those that have their fair share of haute cuisine. NYC = pizza, bagel; Chicago = deep dish pizza; L.A. = taquerias. Cincinnati = chili. Seattle = coffee. Kansas City, Memphis = barbecue. San Francisco = Frisco melt. So I'm not sure why the whining that people associate Pittsburgh with Primanti Brothers sandwiches. The whinging ponce who wrote that review ought really to get over himself.
That's why it's called a review, it's someone's opinion and you don't necessarily have to agree with it. Personally, I've never had a Primanti's sandwich myself, but I might have to try one sometime since there's one up my corner. On the other hand, I think there pizza is pretty good.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:51 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodistortion View Post
That's why it's called a review, it's someone's opinion and you don't necessarily have to agree with it.
I'm perfectly aware that I don't have to agree with anything in particular. Thanks anyway for pointing that out to me. A review is an actual, you know, review of an item or establishment, not a diatribe about cultural affiliation between a city and its well-known culinary offerings. It was the latter, not the former, that I found obnoxious.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:02 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,350,561 times
I'll say it...I don't really like anything at Primanti's.

Mexico City on Wood Street = amazing food.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:05 PM

675 posts, read 2,097,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
I'll say it...I don't really like anything at Primanti's.

Mexico City on Wood Street = amazing food.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Mexico City. Mouth = watering...

Old 06-03-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Drover, I'm the guy who wrote the review and I tried to convey that the Primanti sandwich and food is unremarkable.. what polarizes the Pittsburgh market (or markets outside) is the hype or publicity. Which cannot make a sandwich great but its interesting that it tries. Thanks for the feedback on the other points.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:18 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
I don't have strong feelings about the issue, but I do think it is a little unfortunate we are talking about a particular place/chain, and not a particular dish. For example, I think it would be better if we were telling visitors where to go for a good salad with fries on it, as opposed to where to find a Primanti's.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I don't have strong feelings about the issue, but I do think it is a little unfortunate we are talking about a particular place/chain, and not a particular dish. For example, I think it would be better if we were telling visitors where to go for a good salad with fries on it, as opposed to where to find a Primanti's.
Brian - I appreciate the feedback, its a good comment. If you check out the site I like to do spot pieces on restaurants/establishments and things like "best italian". I'm going to be incorporating more "places to find x" in the future. Thanks again for the feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh