Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 10:11 AM

5 posts, read 49,812 times

Advertisements

I was in Pittsburgh last month visiting some friends, as I've done many times before. I got there around 9pm on Thursday 5/6 and was told by my friend to put a Visitor Parking Permit on my windshield, which I did. The next morning on Friday 5/7... I went to my car to find a Ticket citing "VP2: Visitor Pass Abuse" as the reason. The signs along the entire street read "1 Hour Permit Parking Only", which my friend explained means 1 hour parking unless with a permit. He also told me he's had friends park there with a permit for years and never had a problem.... plus he parks there every day.

Whoever gave me this ticket must have been watching my car like a hawk... because if you look at the ticket, he started watching it at 1:29pm and gave me a ticket at 2:34pm.

Can someone please explain to me what's going on here? I can't believe this sh*t. Am I missing something, or did my friend misinform me about the parking rules? I'm from Eastern PA... so I'm not familiar with Pittsburgh parking laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 10:23 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
If you read the back of the permit it says it can only be used three days per month. I'm not sure if that is three days for per permit, or three days per car using the permit, but perhaps that is why?

Old 06-04-2010, 11:00 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
According to the ordinance, the pass can't be used more than 3 consecutive weekdays in a month for the same car. That's the only restriction mentioned, worded like that. You can read here, in 549.08:

http://www.city.pittsburgh.pa.us/pgh...articleVII.pdf

Unfortunately from out of town it may make no sense to fight ticket, but either we're missing something here or it's BS.

Now, the ticket says applicable sign is one-hour parking. Are you sure you were IN the permit area and not a standard area? That's the only other thing that makes sense. Otherwise I'm not seeing why they would deem this to be abuse of the visitor pass.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
According to the ordinance, the pass can't be used more than 3 consecutive weekdays in a month for the same car. That's the only restriction mentioned, worded like that. You can read here, in 549.08:

http://www.city.pittsburgh.pa.us/pgh...articleVII.pdf

Unfortunately from out of town it may make no sense to fight ticket, but either we're missing something here or it's BS.

Now, the ticket says applicable sign is one-hour parking. Are you sure you were IN the permit area and not a standard area? That's the only other thing that makes sense. Otherwise I'm not seeing why they would deem this to be abuse of the visitor pass.

Yep, I was given a ticket having been there for only 1 day at that point.... arriving On Thursday May 6th, and finding the ticket on my windshield on Friday May 7th.

My friend is probably going to go contest it for me, since driving 5 hours to fight a $58 ticket is insane.

As far as I could tell... the entire street is labeled with the same sign "1 Hour Permit Parking Only" every 15-20 feet. If you look at the image above in the top right corner is the "1 Hour Permit Parking Only" sign and the next one was about 15-20 feet away.

Last edited by mikemundt; 06-04-2010 at 11:53 AM..

Old 06-04-2010, 11:52 AM

double post, deleted

Old 06-04-2010, 03:26 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,058,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemundt View Post
My friend is probably going to go contest it for me, since driving 5 hours to fight a $58 ticket is insane.
It is insane. But it gives you satisfaction when you're right. I drove 5 hours to contest a $65 speeding ticket that I shouldn't have gotten.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:04 PM

2 posts, read 14,728 times
My visitor just recieved a ticket for 549.01 p1:No Residential Parking Permit. The visitors pass was clearly displayed on her dashboard. She visited two years ago and also got a ticket even though the pass was in the window. We paid that ticket for her, because I had an infant at home and couldn't be bothered to fight the ticket.

This is getting ridiculous, all of our visitors use the pass. We have visitors at least 3 times a month or more. The only difference is that my friend has a car with NJ plates. I don't even know how to prove that the resident visitor's pass was in the car at the time the ticket was placed on the car. I can only prove that we were in Erie for two days and she didn't get a ticket on the second day. Any advice?

Old 07-25-2011, 12:10 PM

408 posts, read 991,396 times
Didn't you guys hear the new solution to the pension woes? Just ticket anyone with a visitors permit, knowing it will be cost-ineffective for them to drive back and fight it..

Old 07-25-2011, 12:13 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Wow, so glad I don't live in a permit parking area of the city; talk about archaic rules.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:17 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,766 times
The visitor permit says that it expired on March 1, 2011. Perhaps that's why you were ticketed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh