Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 08:12 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times

Advertisements

Some people do have artistic talent, you know. I'm of two minds on this--if someone tagged my house or shed or whatever, I'd be royally pi$$ed off. But if someone paints a brightly colored mural on the plain concrete underside of an overpass, I don't consider that vandalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 08:18 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Some people do have artistic talent, you know. I'm of two minds on this--if someone tagged my house or shed or whatever, I'd be royally pi$$ed off. But if someone paints a brightly colored mural on the plain concrete underside of an overpass, I don't consider that vandalism.

If it ain't their property, it's vandalism.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:39 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
If it ain't their property, it's vandalism.
Yep. I dunno why there are two ways about this. Seems like plenty of legit opportunities to put up a mural with permission, should an artist so choose. If you're that good, why not do it legit?

Old 06-10-2010, 08:51 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,711,891 times
Quote:
IF, and I repeat, IF someone was commisioned by the appropriate authorities to paint a mural on public property, not the mindless scribblings of some street punk, I believe that would be fine. Otherwise, it's still VANDALISM.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:56 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
IF, and I repeat, IF someone was commisioned by the appropriate authorities to paint a mural on public property, not the mindless scribblings of some street punk, I believe that would be fine. Otherwise, it's still VANDALISM.
That's not quite right. For example, you could set aside publicly-visible spaces for art, but without specifically commissioning anyone to do that art. In that case, any resulting art in that dedicated space would not be vandalism.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:56 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
I agree, there is a fine line here.

Take for instance the retaining wall across from the Hot Metal Bridge. That used to be tagged with some eye catching graffiti, but it was painted over randomly with that ugly yellowish paint instead. I would have considered something like that art.

Or how about on 51 near Nobles Lane, people painted really cool faces on abandoned buildings. Yet this was painted over. The places are abandoned, what does it matter anyway?

Throwing a 2 minute tag on someone's house or car is despicable, but creating a piece of art on a colorless, lifeless, decaying area of a gray city is awesome.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:27 PM

448 posts, read 533,844 times
Well to begin with to whoever said "who the hell is Shepard Fairly". Do you seriously live under a rock? He is an extremely famous street artist who started the OBEY phenomenon. Maybe you've seen his other work, the HOPE and CHANGE Obama campaign? He was the creator of that too, and was thanked and supported by Obama. (Said when Obama was making a speech)

Again, I'm not talking about small 2 second tags, I see where you're comming from, it's horrible. But the graff underneath the bridges and the pieces that aren't visual pollution to people... why can't we keep them? I would rather look at that every day than a god damn yellow square of paint that covers it up. But I guess that's just me.

Along with commission of street murals, it is a good idea. There's a lady here in Philly who put together a program for that, called the "Mural Arts Program" and it takes some of the most talented graff writers and painters and they make murals. There's a bunch of them on the sides of buildings all throughout the city.

Finally, the person who said that they should "set aside space" for the artists, they do. It's called a "legal wall" and there is (I believe) only one legal wall in Pittsburgh. (Not even one here in Philly) But this is nowhere near as much space as there needs to be. If there were more legal walls to paint on then maybe the illegal graff might go down, who knows..

Old 06-10-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
Well to begin with to whoever said "who the hell is Shepard Fairly". Do you seriously live under a rock? He is an extremely famous street artist who started the OBEY phenomenon. Maybe you've seen his other work, the HOPE and CHANGE Obama campaign? He was the creator of that too, and was thanked and supported by Obama. (Said when Obama was making a speech)

Again, I'm not talking about small 2 second tags, I see where you're comming from, it's horrible. But the graff underneath the bridges and the pieces that aren't visual pollution to people... why can't we keep them? I would rather look at that every day than a god damn yellow square of paint that covers it up. But I guess that's just me.

Along with commission of street murals, it is a good idea. There's a lady here in Philly who put together a program for that, called the "Mural Arts Program" and it takes some of the most talented graff writers and painters and they make murals. There's a bunch of them on the sides of buildings all throughout the city.

Finally, the person who said that they should "set aside space" for the artists, they do. It's called a "legal wall" and there is (I believe) only one legal wall in Pittsburgh. (Not even one here in Philly) But this is nowhere near as much space as there needs to be. If there were more legal walls to paint on then maybe the illegal graff might go down, who knows..
It was I who asked who the hell Shepard Fairey is, and I don't live under a rock you immature twit. My interests don't cover "street artists".

Last edited by hornet67; 06-10-2010 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 06-10-2010, 05:35 PM

448 posts, read 533,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
It was I who asked who the hell Shepard Fairey is, and I don't live under a rock you immature twit. My interests don't cover "street artists".

Fair Enough. I apologize.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
Fair Enough. I apologize.
Apology accepted, and I apologize as well. We will agree to disagree, at least on this subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: