Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2010, 01:20 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times

Advertisements

Just because I am interested in getting to know you all more.

Social Issues

Separation of church and state: Support. Don't care about pledge or coins, but important not to favor religions

Freedom of speech: Pro freedom of speech, including legal flag burning and legal "hate speech".

Right to an abortion: Mostly pro-choice. Should be legal, but regulated. Making it illegal will only make women have illegal and dangerous abortions. I have no problem with the morning after pill either.

Affirmative action: Oppose based on race, support based on economic need

Smoking bans: Everyone has the right to clean air. I support smoking bans in indoor places, execpt in the home.

Gun rights: Support.

Stem-Cell Research: Strongly support using federal tax-dollars to fund embryonic stem-cell research.

Civil unions or gay marriage: Support full same-sex marriage & adoption rights

Drugs : Legalize Marijuana, but not the hard-core drugs like heroin.

Euthanasia: Support for consenting adults

Prostitution: Support heavily regulated legalization

Capital punishment: Oppose except for mass murder and terrorism

Economic Issues

Employers and Employees: Support right to fire employees, except based on race and gender. Unfortunately some will take advantage of this and claim a firing was race or gender-based, but this is good in principle

Taxation: Do not cut taxes in strong economic times, however the execption is cuts to the WORKING class (not the lazy ones). Increase by 15 % for anyone making over 200k.

Free trade: Support.

Healthcare: Support a universal system. I don't believe in the Obamacare plan- go all or nothing, not half schemes.

Palestine: I hate to sound like an Israel hater, but we should end all aid to the state of "Israel". Let them both support themselves and remain neutral.

Education: Increase funding, expand opportunities for public education. Stricter requirements for teachers to ensure a quality education for our youth.

Energy Policy: Move towards "alternative" energy. Decrease dependence on foreign oil. Encourage stricter EPA standards for automobiles.

Welfare: heart is in the right place but in many cases takes away incentives to get out of poverty. Help people find a job and then put them on welfare if they still need it, proving that they are working.

Social Security: Repeal. Replace with 401k's and possibly retirement savings accounts.

Foreign issues

Iraq: Opposed because I didn't think the threat was enough to justify invasion.

Afghanistan: There was enough reason to invade, but there is not much more we can do there and I fully support pulling troops at appropriate times.

Iran: Work to rebuild relations with Iran. Sit down at the negotiating table.

UN: Support

Feel free to add anything else you see fits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 01:51 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,996,482 times
Good idea for a thread.

Social Issues

Separation of church and state: Support. That's great if you're religious, but please keep it to yourself and out of our governemnt. (for the most part.)

Freedom of speech: Pro freedom of speech. Just wish that our political discourse could be more respectful.

Right to an abortion: Pro choice, and more importantly, pro privacy. That said, I prefer adoption over abortion.

Affirmative action: Never been a fan of affirmative action. Employers should hire based on a person's skills and what not.

Smoking bans: I was never a fan of smoking bans until I realized how nice it is to not smell like smoke after a night of bar hopping.

Gun rights: Support. Just be safe, mmmkay?

Stem-Cell Research: Support.

Civil unions or gay marriage: I'm cool with gay marriage. Marriage is a certificate from the state. It was not created by God.

Drugs : Yes please.

Euthanasia: I've never been here, but it sounds lovely. hehe

Prostitution: I guess we could try and make it legal to see what happens. Perhaps it would be safer then what we have now.

Capital punishment: Depends on the crime and the evidence presented. Overall, I'm not for it because innocent people have been executed.

Economic Issues

Employers and Employees: Employers need to buck up and start hiring more. They also need to stop hiring illegal immigrants immediately. Employees need to do more work and less Facebook.

Taxation: I'm okay with the wealthy paying more. Believe me, I know we pay a lot as is, but we can do more.

Free trade: Needs major reform.

Healthcare: I was for single payer, but we have to start somewhere. There's some good stuff in the bill and some stuff that needs to be improved.

Palestine: I'm sick of giving Israel billions every year.

Education: Parents need to improve, the unions need to improve, and a lot of teachers need to improve. I'm for public schools and don't buy that a voucher system will solve our problems.

Energy Policy: More energy from the heavens (above ground.) Less energy from hell (below ground.)

Welfare: Not a huge fan of welfare, but some honest people need it. I don't like when Republicans say that health insurance reform is just welfare.

Social Security: Lockbox.

Foreign issues

Iraq: Where da WMD's at?

Afghanistan: Less troops, more drones and special ops.

Iran: Hope to see the Green Movement in power.

UN: Mostly support.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:19 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Social Issues

Separation of church and state: Don't support state religion but we should have a resolution declaring that we recognize our laws are based on Christian principles

Freedom of speech: For, even for vile hateful speech (which is what the 1st Amendment protects, it wasn't meant to protect polite speech)

Right to an abortion: No. Oppose it in all forms except if birth poses risk to mother's life.

Affirmative action: Opposed.

Smoking bans: Support in public places.

Gun rights: Support

Stem-Cell Research: Strongly support using federal tax-dollars to fund embryonic stem-cell research.

Civil unions or gay marriage: Strongly against gay marriage, civil unions ok.

Drugs : Legalize Marijuana, but not the hard-core drugs like heroin.

Euthanasia: Oppose.

Prostitution: Oppose

Capital punishment: Oppose except for mass murder and terrorism

Economic Issues

Employers and Employees: Support right to fire employees

Taxation: Abolish income tax

Free trade: Oppose.

Healthcare: Support free market approach with little to no government regulation. No mandates.

Palestine: How is this economic?

Education: Increase funding, expand opportunities for public education. Stricter requirements for teachers to ensure a quality education for our youth. Reform curriculum along the lines of Arizona's new policies, and also Texas's new policies.

Energy Policy: Build more nuclear reactors, use our coal resources, research alternative power sources for automobiles.

Welfare: Have welfare but immigrants will not be eligible for welfare unless they are naturalized citizens. Citizens have a time limit and can only claim up to 2 children. Immigrants that need welfare should be deported.

Social Security: Repeal. Replace with 401k's and possibly retirement savings accounts.

Foreign issues

Iraq: Opposed

Afghanistan: Oppose

Iran: Not informed enough to make an opinion

UN: Withdraw from UN and nullify all treaties with said organization.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:37 PM

328 posts, read 196,102 times
Social Issues

Separation of church and state: Against.This is a Christian nation and always will be.

Freedom of speech: All for it. There are some sticky points to it but in the end all for it.

Right to an abortion: Anti Abortion except in cases of physical harm to mother or child,rape,incest,mental or physical illness of child.

Affirmative action: Totally against its anti white racism

Smoking bans: Against the government banning it all for the businesses themselves banning it.

Gun rights: support 100% repeal ALL laws that go against the 2nd amendment of infringing on it.

Civil unions or gay marriage: Nope totally against it.

Drugs : Legalize Marijuana

Euthanasia: Legalize it for adults.

Prostitution: Legalize it.You want a disease then be my guest. Its damn near impossible to stop this so just treat it like a business with regulations etc drug and std tests monthly.

Capital punishment: Completely for it! I am worried its been used against innocent people so in all cases where dna can be extracted to prove innocence or guilt it should be before being put to death.

Economic Issues

Employers and Employees: What about it? Stop hiring illegals and put heavy fines on those that do. Heavily tax companies that take there businesses overseas and then send their items back here.

Taxation: End all taxes. This would take a more thorough looking at.In the end use a flat tax or a sales tax also tax huge businesses and also tax foreign companies wanting to send their items here.

Free trade: End it. We end up getting the short end of the stick on this.

Health care: If people want health care then so be it if they don't then don't make them. For the poor then help them out somehow.

Palestine: Condemn Israel for genocide and crimes against humanity stop sending billions a year to them, while we are at it. End ALL lobbying groups in the U.S that are working for Israel's interest. Let Israel survive on it's own.

Education: Get liberals out of the system. I prefer segregation both with racial and gender. Allow parents to home school without any interference if they choose. Pay teachers based on student achievement.

Energy Policy: Put money into coal,wind,hydrogen energy start trying to reduce our dependence on oil.

Welfare: All for it when people REALLY need it. Make people getting it take monthly drug tests and make programs to help them get GED or a degree in a field. Help them get to work.

Social Security: Leave it the way it is.

Foreign issues

Iraq: Get out now.

Afghanistan: Get out now.

Iran: Leave them alone.

UN: Get out and condemn as foreign entity that has no power or rights over the u.s as a sovereign nation. Do away with any and all laws passed by the UN.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:04 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Social Issues

Separation of church and state: I Support the First amendment EXACTLY as written!

Freedom of speech: Pro freedom of speech, but NOT "freedom of expression". that is NOT in the First Amendment!

Right to an abortion: I don't see any such "right" enumerated in the Constitution

Affirmative action: No. Hiring should be based purely on qualifications; the job goes to the best qualified.

Smoking bans: ONLY if the business owner makes the decision. The government does NOT have the right to tell the owner of a business or building what he can allow.

Gun rights: Support.

Stem-Cell Research: Strongly support, but NO taxpayer funding.

Civil unions or gay marriage: I really don't care

Drugs : Legalize it all, tax it heavily

Euthanasia: Support for consenting adults

Prostitution: Support heavily regulated legalization

Capital punishment: Oppose except for premeditated murder, terrorism, and treason

Economic Issues

Employers and Employees: Support right to fire employees, except based on race and gender. Unfortunately some will take advantage of this and claim a firing was race or gender-based, but this is good in principle

Taxation: Do not cut taxes in strong economic times, however the execption is cuts to the WORKING class (not the lazy ones). NO increase for anyone making over 200k. why penalize success?

Healthcare: Support a universal system. I don't believe in the Obamacare plan- go all or nothing, not half schemes. Take health care AWAY from BIG INSURANCE!

Education: Increase funding, expand opportunities for public education. Stricter requirements for teachers to ensure a quality education for our youth.

Energy Policy: Move towards "alternative" energy. Decrease dependence on foreign oil.

Welfare: Workfare. you MUST EARN your way! TANSTAAFL!
(There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Social Security: Put the money that Congress stole from the fund back, and prohibit ANY use of the fund for other than the original intent

Foreign issues

Iraq: Get out, tell them it is all theirs now. Sink or swim.

Afghanistan: Get out, tell thenm it is all theirs. Sink or swim

Iran: Leave it up to the UN, but tell the UN somebody else is going to have to bear the brunt of the cost. We can't afford it.

UN: Send them to Geneva, get all of them OUT of New York!

Old 06-10-2010, 08:02 PM

19,030 posts, read 14,205,095 times
"All law is the protection of property rights, all else is policy and policy requires consent."

Or as the Declaration of Independence puts it:
Job #1 : secure rights, and
Job #2 : govern those who consent.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:31 PM

852 posts, read 1,357,524 times
Social Issues

Separation of church and state: Support.

Freedom of speech: Pro freedom of speech in all its forms.

Right to an abortion: Pro-choice.

Affirmative action: Support only because I feel its necessary.

Smoking bans: Support.

Gun rights: Support with background check and waiting period but I feel that there should be restrictions on certain types of weapons.

Civil unions or gay marriage: Support.

Drugs : Legalize and tax Marijuana.

Euthanasia: Support.

Prostitution: Legalize, regulate, and tax prostitution.

Capital punishment: Support gas chamber.

Economic Issues

Employers and Employees: Support right to fire employees, except based on race, gender, religion, sexual orientation.

Taxation: Support Fair Tax.

Healthcare: Support healthcare reform but not sure Obamacare is the answer despite its good points (coverage for pre-existing conditions, etc).

Palestine: Support two-state solution.

Education: Increase funding and increase teacher pay.

Energy Policy: Aggressively move towards alternative forms of energy. Decrease dependence on foreign oil and gradually reduce drilling. Encourage stricter EPA standards for automobiles.

Welfare: Support but the current systems needs to be reformed.

Social Security: Reform is required due to its failure.

Foreign issues

Iraq: Opposed.

Afghanistan: Support.

Iran: Sit down at the negotiating table.

UN: Support
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies