Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 09:12 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Where do you think they get the bombs and weapons from? How do they get there? Who goes there to fight and do they do it for free? You need to do some research obviously of the economic effects of wars..
Huh? I don't know what you're talking about because all of those things wouldn't stimulate the economy, they make it worse. I like this website:
COSTOFWAR.COM - The Cost of War
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 09:21 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,538 times
Quote:
Yes, but you indeed questioned if 1/2 of americans didnt pay taxes.. Are you now admitting this fact is true?
I have no hidden agenda here... I asked a question and you answered it. No need to be suspicious of my inquiry.

Quote:
Those credits, are enjoyed by individuals regardless of their economic wealth..
Fair enough. But I am hung up on three words from the link you provided

Quote:
eliminate their liability
I am confused with this. These poor or individuals that qualified for legal credits, deductions and exemptions did have a liability... but just did not meet it with the taxes they paid (they did pay, by the way... just not enough to meet their liability). Is that a correct statement?

I totally agree that spending is half of the equation, by the way. But, in lieu of an instant reduction in spending (our government never seems to act quickly, besides that whole Patriot Act thingy) what is the best course of action?

Old 06-10-2010, 09:28 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Three words: Gramm-Leach Bliley. 3 (r)s wrote it, House and Senate passed it, Clinton signed it. It allowed banks to also go into the investment bidness.

The banks sold bad mortgages as securities and rated them AAA. They kept doing it even while the housing bubble burst. And, reports are, they're still doing it.

GWB cut taxes (yay)
GWB did not cut spending (boo)
GWB ran us into Iraq (big costly mistake in human life and $$$$)

To blame only GWB is nonsense, to blame only Obama is nonsense.

This hill of crap has been building for a long long time, and it took more than one President and Congress to do it.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:28 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Huh? I don't know what you're talking about because all of those things wouldn't stimulate the economy, they make it worse. I like this website:
COSTOFWAR.COM - The Cost of War
Your website documents the stimulation of the economy from the war spending.. You are proving my point for me.

Where do you think the $1,004,160,300,615 went (figure from the website at current viewing)? Seriously, research the reason for the end of the great depression if you dont know what Im talking about because thats your problem, not mine..

Old 06-10-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
I am confused with this. These poor or individuals that qualified for legal credits, deductions and exemptions did have a liability... but just did not meet it with the taxes they paid (they did pay, by the way... just not enough to meet their liability). Is that a correct statement?
Since the topic which brought all of this up was the statement about 1/2 of all americans not paying taxes, then the correct statement would be, that they did not pay. They dont pay for their liabilities, hence the national debt.. They simply moved their liability onto those that did pay.
Quote:
I totally agree that spending is half of the equation, by the way. But, in lieu of an instant reduction in spending (our government never seems to act quickly, besides that whole Patriot Act thingy) what is the best course of action?
Cutting of spending long term is the only course of action. You cant keep increasing taxes because doing so, reduces the economy and you end up with a spiral effect of, reducing the economy = less tax revenue = more debt.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:34 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Default How Did GW Bush Cause Our Current Economic Problems?

He did it by following his wife's advice to . . "just be yourself".

Old 06-10-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
He did it by following his wife's advice to . . "just be yourself".
I've come to realise that liberals can only resort to personal attacks when they cant answer the question asked.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:41 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,538 times
Quote:
Since the topic which brought all of this up was the statement about 1/2 of all americans not paying taxes, then the correct statement would be, that they did not pay. They dont pay for their liabilities, hence the national debt.. They simply moved their liability onto those that did pay.
Hmm, I thought we all had the ability to whack a bit right off the top, so to speak. That standard deduction thing. I do not do my own taxes, but I think it is somewhere around three grand, correct?

I apologize for getting off topic here. A civil discussion on here is rare.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Hmm, I thought we all had the ability to whack a bit right off the top, so to speak. That standard deduction thing. I do not do my own taxes, but I think it is somewhere around three grand, correct?

I apologize for getting off topic here. A civil discussion on here is rare.
Many of us whack sums off the top, but that doesnt change the fact that indeed 1/2 of all americans dont pay federal taxes. I for one whacked about $400K off the top of my 2008 taxes, dont know what 2009 will come out yet as they arent back from the accountants..

Do you think somewhere along the line that maybe the whacking off the top should be done away with and EVERYONE should pay taxes? I dont pay a dime, but I surely can afford to.. I go through great lengths to avoid taxes.. I'll have to find my posting here where I explained some of the steps I go through legally to do so..

edit: I found my posting where I explained some of the lengths I go through //www.city-data.com/forum/12361415-post53.html

Old 06-10-2010, 09:51 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
so bush had nothing to do with the iraq war? nor anything to do with the money it cost to wage it? that not only took a 200 plus surplus budget and turn it into a 1.2 TRILLION dollar deficit? you can't rewrite history in your thread either
Ok...everyone brings up the war. How did that ruin the economy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies