Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 12:27 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Virtually every sitcom does this, so do TV commercials, though movies tend to be a bit fairer.
Also, whenever a commercial features one black man and one white man, the white man will be the one who has to be given the message. It's almost never the other way around.

If there is a woman in the commercial, then she's the one at the head of the class. So the Commercial Hierarchy looks something like this:

Black Man trumps White Man

Woman trumps Man

Children are Cute

...And the networks can't figure out why fewer and fewer people tune in each year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 12:32 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Also, whenever a commercial features one black man and one white man, the white man will be the one who has to be given the message. It's almost never the other way around.

If there is a woman in the commercial, then she's the one at the head of the class. So the Commercial Hierarchy looks something like this:

Black Man trumps White Man

Woman trumps Man

Children are Cute

...And the networks can't figure out why fewer and fewer people tune in each year.

I hate to see the exploitation of children. Children being bratty, smart alecks, disrespectful to parents, out of control... that seen as "cute", not good advertising.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:38 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
I would like to see a home protection add where the burgler gets blown back through the door by a woman holding a shotgun. I would call it "Home Protection by Stevens" or some other gunmaker.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:41 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I would like to see a home protection add where the burgler gets blown back through the door by a woman holding a shotgun. I would call it "Home Protection by Stevens" or some other gunmaker.

Now, I DO like that image!

Old 06-10-2010, 12:45 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,038,975 times
Don't forget all the tastefully done ads where the nice looking middle aged male..... is impotent.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:48 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,200,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentDrum View Post
Don't forget all the tastefully done ads where the nice looking middle aged male..... is impotent.
Not really "tasteful" but I always liked those silly Enzyte ads because there was so much subtle sexual innuendo in them.....you really had to pay attention to see it all.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:08 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,134,548 times
This points to the moral downfall of society. Why should we care about bad male behavior when we advertise it, are entertained by it, and ultimately condone it. Look at all the people who call Homer Simpson their hero!

And Sandra Bullock is just as likely as anyone else to raise her new adopted son, to be assertive and go get what he wants just like the estranged daddy.

Look at how many fans a certifiable a$$hole like Rush Limbaugh has!

But the results are in America, we've already voted, we want our boys and men to act like the biggest dog in the pack. And if they're not the biggest, then they can be the loudest, or the rudest, or the biggest dooooshbag.

Bullied kids, battered wives, cheated saps, etc., suck it up, we want it this way.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:11 PM

206 posts, read 193,869 times
God forbid, you put a black male in the home security commercials, or put a blonde acting like an airhead on a commercial and we'd see the NAACP or some other liberal whining groups come crawling out of the woodwork.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:14 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,488 times
Perhaps the people who fall for some of the junk sold on tv can identify with a bumbling idiot. I recall some of the commercials from the 1960's. They were funny. A construction worker glued his hard hat to a beam, and hung in the air, flailing his legs.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:17 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,112,280 times
Jack Tripper and Monroe Ficus were my two favorite male bumblers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies