Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2011, 10:38 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,638,530 times

Advertisements

With this whole "Occupy This place and that place" everyone has seem to forgotten the struggles and revolutions that happend across North Africa (Algeria, Tunisia, Egypt, Libya) and parts of the Middle East (Syria, Omar) that really started a global revolution this year. Instead, N.Y.C.-of course-is being touted as the revolution that "started it all" across the world. Heck, even Europe (Greece) had it's own revolution before these middle class privledged college kids in NYC started to walk around and yell "We are the 99%" and be influnced by some V for Vendetta mask.

I commend the occupiers (of Occupy this or that) and all and there are people who are well informed of what they are protesting against but there's also many (mostly youngsters) who just want to be apart of something for excitement. Regardless, it's not to discredit the Occupy/99%/Anonymous movement but damn, lets not forget;despite that things did get out of control-that Egypt made their former presi, er, dictator drop to his knee's and got him out of office.

Maybe my point is imcompetent but I just feel that the global revolution that started earlier this year has somewhat been forgotten about, which is unfortunate since, unlike here in the U.S., there was bloodshed (particularly more so in Libya and still ongoing) and the people over there really fought a lot harder than we are/did/ or will do. Sure, it might be different causes but the goals are the same: Progression to a better life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 11:23 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,196,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
With this whole "Occupy This place and that place" everyone has seem to forgotten the struggles and revolutions that happend across North Africa (Algeria, Tunisia, Egypt, Libya) and parts of the Middle East (Syria, Omar) that really started a global revolution this year. Instead, N.Y.C.-of course-is being touted as the revolution that "started it all" across the world. Heck, even Europe (Greece) had it's own revolution before these middle class privledged college kids in NYC started to walk around and yell "We are the 99%" and be influnced by some V for Vendetta mask.

I commend the occupiers (of Occupy this or that) and all and there are people who are well informed of what they are protesting against but there's also many (mostly youngsters) who just want to be apart of something for excitement. Regardless, it's not to discredit the Occupy/99%/Anonymous movement but damn, lets not forget;despite that things did get out of control-that Egypt made their former presi, er, dictator drop to his knee's and got him out of office.

Maybe my point is imcompetent but I just feel that the global revolution that started earlier this year has somewhat been forgotten about, which is unfortunate since, unlike here in the U.S., there was bloodshed (particularly more so in Libya and still ongoing) and the people over there really fought a lot harder than we are/did/ or will do. Sure, it might be different causes but the goals are the same: Progression to a better life.

The difference is that those were real revolutions, and were unpleasant and bloody. Hence why they've been forgotten about, we've forgotten how to deal with things that are truly unpleasant.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:26 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,516,494 times
It amazes me that ALL of this was started by one man who lit himself on fire in Tunisia last December.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:30 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,769,934 times
Quote:

I'm glad you didn't let facts get in the way of your rant. The Occupy Wall Street movement was inspired by the revolutions across North Africa. They came right and said that what happened in Tunisia and Egypt led them to start thinking up the Occupy Wall Street protest. It would have took you a whole 30 seconds to google that information and would have saved you some time instead of spewing a worthless rant.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:50 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,638,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I'm glad you didn't let facts get in the way of your rant. The Occupy Wall Street movement was inspired by the revolutions across North Africa. They came right and said that what happened in Tunisia and Egypt led them to start thinking up the Occupy Wall Street protest. It would have took you a whole 30 seconds to google that information and would have saved you some time instead of spewing a worthless rant.

Cry me a river!!

Old 10-18-2011, 02:01 PM

108 posts, read 198,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
It amazes me that ALL of this was started by one man who lit himself on fire in Tunisia last December.
this is the truth!

Old 10-18-2011, 02:11 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,769,934 times
Quote:
Cry me a river!!
I'm not crying. I'm not the one who doesn't know what I'm talking about. That's you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies