Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 07:32 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times

Advertisements

It will be interesting to see how this will end up portrayed in the US media, if it is even covered any deeper than page 11 in the Times.

I'm posting this for a number of reasons but namely to point out that many Jews in the world view the extremely militant right wing Netanyahu government as counter productive to both Israel and sentiments towards Jewish people throughout the world.

They started out with one boat, but now are up to three and while not intending for it to be a Jewish only flotilla, so many Jews in Europe have offered to join that they have had to add two additional ships to accommodate people thus far.

The Daily Star - Politics - European Jewish groups to join flotillas to break siege
Quote:
This sentiment was echoed by Glyn Secker, a member of the British based Jews for Justice for Palestinians who will captain the ship. "I think it will have particular significance because it is a group of Jewish people saying that as Jews, we are critical of Israeli policy. We believe that there should be a just peace for the Palestinians," he said.
In the extended interview carried in the Huffington Post,
Richard Hall: European Jewish Group to Launch Flotilla to Break Gaza Blockade
Quote:
Another motivation for the trip, organizers said, was the effect Israeli policies have on the treatment of Jews living outside of Israel.

"We are frightened that Israeli policies will help anti-Semitism to grow. We also want to show that these actions are not Jewish," said Lutz.
I for one applaud their efforts and wish them good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 07:47 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
I wonder if that is a group that calls them self "another Jewish sound" which actually is more or less a radical group with very obnoxious ideas. Many Jewish people don't like so much what they are doing since they always try to get publicity for everything they do....

Old 06-10-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I wonder if that is a group that calls them self "another Jewish sound" which actually is more or less a radical group with very obnoxious ideas. Many Jewish people don't like so much what they are doing since they always try to get publicity for everything they do....
Two groups are involved that I'm aware of, European Jews for a Just Peace and Not in my Name.

EJJP : EJJP

NimN : http://www.nimn.org/

Old 06-11-2010, 11:16 AM

I received word this morning from an associate via the Council for the National Interest, that American Jewish peace groups may also be organizing a ship to add to the above mentioned flotilla.

Best of luck to them as well.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Liike the others ;they go looking for trouble they will find it; like a guy in a bar asking who wants to fight.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:26 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,127,706 times
Just another bunch of progressives on a ship. Not a big shocker for the Israelis . Was Hitler a Jew ?

Old 06-11-2010, 12:30 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,127,706 times
" the effect Israeli policies have on the treatment of Jews living outside of Israel? "

Are you kidding me ! No Jew was treated bad before 1960 !

Old 06-11-2010, 12:32 PM

Ah but how will Israel label several ships of predominantly Jewish activist, as terrorist sympathizers? As enemies of Israel or as antisemitic- self hating Jews? According to the first organization, it is being comprised of 18 different Jewish organizations devoted towards a peaceful resolution of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, and while I realize those pesky Jewish peace activist are see as treasonous by supporters of the current militant right wing extremist government of Netanyahu, I for one applaud their efforts.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:37 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
" the effect Israeli policies have on the treatment of Jews living outside of Israel? "

Are you kidding me ! No Jew was treated bad before 1960 !

The issue is, and we've seen it at this very forum, that Jews are expected to agree with whatever Israel does. Israelis protesting were called "Uncle Toms" on this forum. So Israeli policies DO have an effect on Jews whether they agree with them or not, and that's not fair.

It just goes to say what I've said all along, that this isn't about religion, it's about Israel's actions.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:42 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,895 times
All I have to say about this is why would anyone consider an European Jew to be the same as an Israeli Jew? That would be like saying an American from Alabama is like an American from California. Sure they have a lot in common, but they belong to two different societies and therefore have different expectations as to what is right and what is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies