Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should women seeking an abortion be required to view an image of the fetus?
Yes 14 17.50%
No 65 81.25%
Not sure 1 1.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 01:26 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I had my abortion at Planned Parenthood and ultrasound was not performed.

It depends on the clinic. You posted a page from a specific PP clinic. Some have ultrasound facilities for abortions and some do not. Some perform later term abortions than others... and just because it says it can be included in the fee, does not mean it is performed for every procedure. After 12 weeks is when they will generally use an ultrasound. Since that clinic performs them up to 14.6 weeks, they will use the ultrasound to determine gestational age when a client is too close to the cutoff.
No, it IS included in their fee. As I said, performing an u/s as part of an abortion procedure is routinely recommended and considered the standard practice in the US. Yes, some clinics don't perform them. No, they are not typically mandated by law (although in MANY states they are). This thread has become an exercise in futility. I would venture to guess that the vast majority of abortions performed in the US also include an ultrasound as well, and that is the only point I was trying to make. People opposed to this law were incorrectly stating that this would be an additional financial burden for the woman. All I stated was that in most cases, an ultrasound is already being performed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 01:36 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
No, it IS included in their fee. As I said, performing an u/s as part of an abortion procedure is routinely recommended and considered the standard practice in the US. Yes, some clinics don't perform them. No, they are not typically mandated by law (although in MANY states they are). This thread has become an exercise in futility. I would venture to guess that the vast majority of abortions performed in the US also include an ultrasound as well, and that is the only point I was trying to make. People opposed to this law were incorrectly stating that this would be an additional financial burden for the woman. All I stated was that in most cases, an ultrasound is already being performed.
That is simply not the case. It is included in their fee if necessary And that only applies to the NE Ohio clinic. For example, take a look at a different PP clinic and how they explain it:

During your visit, you may be given the following:

Health Services - Stamford, CT - Planned Parenthood - Stamford Center

Health Services - White Plains, NY - Planned Parenthood - White Plains Center

The reason it states "may be given" is due to the fact that ultrasounds are performed only for the later term abortions.

If you wish to amend your statement to read that in most cases after, say, 10 weeks, ultrasound is performed, I would agree with you.

Ultrasound is not routinely performed in cases prior to 10 weeks. You are "venturing to guess", I am speaking from personal experience, as a person who had an abortion, and a person who volunteered for quite some time at a clinic.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:36 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
have a physical exam — which may include an ultrasound
In-Clinic Abortion Procedures - Planned Parenthood

By the end of this discussion we will have provided you with every conceivable web site in regard to abortion procedure, and you are still going to be disagreeing. I give up.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I am an RN and a Midwife.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:38 PM

Exactly. They are describing what MAY be included in a variety of different procedures. It does not apply to all abortions performed there. The clinic I went to did not perform them prior to 10 weeks.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:42 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLRGHOST View Post
Well if you are trying to take votes away from the tea party favorite this didn't help his case. Rubio is the favorite right now which is why Crist is running as an independent.

No, the majority of Tea Party members like myself, think it is a woman's right to do as she wishes with her body.

I'm pretty conservative, except for issues of woman's rights and drug prohibition. Although I really think it was the progressives that brought drug prohibitions, so maybe I am conservative on drug prohibition??? Now I'm confused.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:57 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
I would have to agree with Crist on this for two reasons.

The first one would be that the vast majority of women who get abortions go through a process which I am sure isn't easy. They have to make a very tough decision and this would not help the situation. Remember, many abortions have to do with the health of the mother, the fetus, or other serious reasons. Not just oops I made a booboo. Why put those women through that?\
Umm...why put women through that? Because they're on the precipice of killing their own child!

Old 06-14-2010, 02:00 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
Quote:
That is simply not the case. It is included in their fee if necessary And that only applies to the NE Ohio clinic.
Not sure how you can parse words on this, but this clearly states that it IS included in their abortion fee. It does not state 'if necessary'.

Quote:
For example, take a look at a different PP clinic and how they explain it:

During your visit, you may be given the following:

Health Services - Stamford, CT - Planned Parenthood - Stamford Center

Health Services - White Plains, NY - Planned Parenthood - White Plains Center

The reason it states "may be given" is due to the fact that ultrasounds are performed only for the later term abortions.

If you wish to amend your statement to read that in most cases after, say, 10 weeks, ultrasound is performed, I would agree with you.

Ultrasound is not routinely performed in cases prior to 10 weeks. You are "venturing to guess", I am speaking from personal experience, as a person who had an abortion, and a person who volunteered for quite some time at a clinic.
So your clinic didn't routinely perform u/s services. I respect that you have personal experience, but that makes you an expert on the practices of that particular clinic, not the practices of every clinic in the US. I stand by my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
In-Clinic Abortion Procedures - Planned Parenthood

By the end of this discussion we will have provided you with every conceivable web site in regard to abortion procedure, and you are still going to be disagreeing. I give up.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I am an RN and a Midwife.
None of the links you provided furthered your position. We will not agree on this. I don't agree with abortion, but I also don't feel it's the government's role to dictate laws regarding women's reproductive health. I'll just leave it there.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:08 PM

Yes they do further her position. The site clearly states YOU MAY BE GIVEN... meaning you are not definitely going to receive an ultrasound.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:04 PM

580 posts, read 1,081,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hortysir View Post
LeoZ..
Damn straight! LOL, my work is done here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies