Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2010, 09:50 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I'm so disappointed! If we can't even overcome the idea that all life is precious and that every life has something to offer how are we suppose to overcome nuclear holocaust. How can we not destroy ourselves in a hail of fiery atoms if we think we're just a species no better than the typical cockroach?

:-(
life is precious. we have to also get past people being against sex education and contraceptives if we are ever going to lesson the rate of abortion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 10:08 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,271,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
I have two issues with this portion of your post;

First, I do not believe there is any such age requirement for this procedure in the United States. If you have proof otherwise, please provide it.

Tubal Ligation _ i went to my doctor to see if I could get one, because I am at the age where I do not want to go through a pregnancy (due to now the higher chance of birth defects). I do want children, but I plan to adopt or to have a surrogate.

Doctor told me that I would had to have children first or be age 35; because of the small danger that if one should get pregnant after having a tubal, it ends up being an ectopic pregnancy (which carries its own dangers)

Some doctors will perform it sooner (mostly earliy 30's not before); some stick the to 35.

Quote:
Second, you believe there IS such a restriction on the rights of women to control their bodies and to make decisions regarding their own fertility and reproduction options, and gloss over it as totally inconsequential. Why do you fight so hard for a woman's right to abort a pregnancy, yet not rail against this obstruction of her her right to prevent it in the first place?
what do you mean? Im for choice. that choice includes all manners of anything regarding sex and pregnancy

I want children to learn about sex and their bodies by the time they are 10 years of age ( I learned about the birds and the bees when i was 6)

I want that education to include all manners of how to prevent pregnancy.

I want that education to also teach responsibility.

I rail against anyone who prevents such information to be freely distributed to everyone.

The people who "rail' against how to prevent it are the VERY anti-choicers that want to restrict women's choices.

They are the ones that get angry and cry when schools districts want to change their programs to include some sort of sex education as seen in the several threads that have covered this.

Those that advocate pro-choice are the very ones that are advocating all manners of how to prevent pregnancy; actively are the ones that want to pass out contraceptives and information.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:10 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,271,551 times
Quote:
So its foundations, born out of racism, are dismissed by its followers. The party at the forefront of the current legislation abandons it. Yet we still have feverish supporters. None of the people at the forefront still stand with you be it being called out for abhorrent racism or a fierce opposition and yet you still champion that "right". What for? Why?

did you gloss over my post?
Sanger did not "invent" abortion. Abortion has been around for THOUSANDS of years.

The very GREEK that established medicine even advocated and supported abortions, and authored how one should perform an abortion

YOU seriously need to learn your history.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:46 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,838 times
Quote:
There is no difference of a baby in a womb and a baby 2, 3 and 4 years old that can not still feed itself. The baby would die many years outside of the womb without a mother to feed it. The same as all other mammals.

If one takes the same stance, than marsupials, like kangaroos, don't have babies even though they're born outside of the womb and find a pouch to live in till they can feed themselves.
You can argue all day about what does and does not constitute life, but there is this nice clear line: Birth. When the fetus leaves the womb, it becomes an infant--endowed with civil and human rights, birth certificate, and social security number. The baby at this point is officially recognized.

The state has not and will not recognize the citizenship of a fetus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Really? How often do the "pro-choice/pro-abotionists" vocally support more personal responsibility when engaging in sexual activity? How often do they promote abstinence? How often do they make resources for contraception control available over that of abortion?
You have failed to recognize abortion is seen as a responsible choice. If you can't support the pregnancy--terminate it.

Quote:
All I see from the posts of pro-choice/pro aboritionists on this forum is those arguing against the humanity of a conceived human life, reducing it falsely to a group of "paracitic cells".
"Parasitic," and functionally it is no different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
So do you support the killing of premature babies in neonatal wards that are on various forms of life support? Some of these are younger than "fetuses" that get aborted late term. Yet, they are indeed babies aren't they? Or would you similarly just label them a clump of parasitic cells?
I refer you to above, where these infants have been officially recognized by the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Not all Republicans are against abortion rights.
The places sane people show up is amazing.

Quote:
I am personally against free and easy abortion because I have seen how it's been used as birth control and I have seen people who have had 8 or 10 of them.
We have to ask--what is it any business of yours? The freedom to choose means the freedom to make bad decisions.

Quote:
At the same time, however, I can't reconcile having the government tell you that you have to have a baby you don't want. Then again, a really easy way not to have a baby is to not have irresponsible sex in the first place (which in this case is having sex when you're not interested or prepared to have a baby). Also, with the advent of the 'Morning After' pill, most abortions should be able to be staved off by just stopping the pregnancy from every happening...
Sexual suppression is hideously unhealthy for the human psyche.

Quote:
But tell me about this...if there is a baby over 20 weeks and you abort it, why is it different to kill it in the womb vs killing it once it's outside? THAT I have never understood. Once it's out, you can't just murder it...but as long as it's inside the woman, go ahead and rip it to pieces?
Again, deferral to the above regarding birth right.

Quote:
How is that for contradiction?!

(And for those who want to discuss viability, it's only a matter of time and technology.)
Viability has an absolute biological bottom limit. Twenty-two weeks is the earliest recorded (IIRC) live-birth, which resulted in a number of complications. The earlier you go, the less physical matter you have to work with on the infant. Pull it out at 16 weeks, you barely have half a brain worth of neuronal tissue. 10 weeks and you've got a fleshy lump of skin with no organs. No technology could replace that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Controlling of women's lives, forcing them through pregnancies ; sounds like a man controlled environment to me.
The Handmaid's Tale anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Really! tell my wife and three daughters who got me involved in the movement ten years ago when they drug me to my first walk for life.
If not for them I would have probably been out playing golf. They are the Zelots. Believe me, ask their husbands and boyfriends when they call me to commiserate about how my daughters are running their lives. The biggest backers of the pro life movement are women. Just look at the make up of any walk for life rally. 75 percent will be women.
Sampling fallacy. Go to a pro-choice rally and you will see the same thing. This is specifically because it involves women more than men, so women are far more likely to engage in supportive movements.

Quote:
I'm so disappointed! If we can't even overcome the idea that all life is precious and that every life has something to offer how are we suppose to overcome nuclear holocaust. How can we not destroy ourselves in a hail of fiery atoms if we think we're just a species no better than the typical cockroach?

:-(
1. Why is life precious?
2. Moral evolution.
3. What separates humans from cockroaches concerning the field of life?

Old 07-17-2010, 10:51 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
Being pro-life is more about having an equal-opportunity mindset.

And you don't have an equal opportunity if you're dead.
Are you trying to say that all twenty something of the embryos sitting in that petri dish have an equal opportunity to live? ........................

or were they deliberately created knowing that only one or two of them would ever get the chance to live?

Old 07-17-2010, 11:13 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Your stance is well documented and the selfishness falls solely on those that believe they have the right to determine who should live and who shouldn't, like the holocaust.
Why do you continue to ignore the fact that as many as 20 emryos are destroyed to get one or two babies?

Who decides which two embryos get to have the chance to live?

They try to pick the BEST embryos to implant. Isn't that kinda like choosing who gets to belong to the master race? Only the BEST?

Isn't flushing thousands and thousands of "babies" down the drain the same as the holocaust?

Tell us your stance, as a pro-lifer, on the selfishness of deliberately killing 20 embryos to get ONE OR TWO babies.

Why are the pro-lifers in this thread so steadfastly AVOIDING acknowledging the holocaust known as IVF?

Are you AFRAID to admit that if abortion is banned, IVF should also be banned?

Old 07-18-2010, 12:04 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Why do you continue to ignore the fact that as many as 20 emryos are destroyed to get one or two babies?

Who decides which two embryos get to have the chance to live?

They try to pick the BEST embryos to implant. Isn't that kinda like choosing who gets to belong to the master race? Only the BEST?

Isn't flushing thousands and thousands of "babies" down the drain the same as the holocaust?

Tell us your stance, as a pro-lifer, on the selfishness of deliberately killing 20 embryos to get ONE OR TWO babies.

Why are the pro-lifers in this thread so steadfastly AVOIDING acknowledging the holocaust known as IVF?

Are you AFRAID to admit that if abortion is banned, IVF should also be banned?
Part of the job requirement of being a male IVF doctor is having a Hitler-stash. True fact, saw it on The Histovery Channel.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:31 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
we can agree to disagree. does that mean you don't wanna answer the questions?
No it means I'm sick and tired of arguing with you.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:39 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
If the central tenant of conservatism is the belief that the government should remain as small and as unobtrusive as possible why in the case of abortion do right wingers want the state to intervene?
If you allow abortion that state is interfering with the right of the unborn to live by the state sponsored genocide.
The state should intervene to stop the slaughter

Old 07-18-2010, 06:44 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,617 times
"I knew you when you were in your mother's womb"
Is "you" a person?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies