Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 04:25 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times

Advertisements

So is this the reason for George Bush allowing Rumsfeld to leave the administration? Sounds like a “lets distance ourselves from the man” trick. And it looks like Rummy just didn’t tell all his knew about Abu Ghraib abuse. Appears that Rummy lied to Congress about this issue while under oath.

General: Top officials knew of prison abuses - Newsday.com (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 06:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I am shocked! A member of this administration actually getting caught lying to Congress. I wonder if that is illegal and if he will be held accountable for his actions?

Old 06-19-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am shocked! A member of this administration actually getting caught lying to Congress. I wonder if that is illegal and if he will be held accountable for his actions?
Rummy isn’t much different then the others in his group of criminals, it’s just that he’s out of there for now and the others left are continuing to run the business of our government the same way they have for the last 6 + years now. I guess I shouldn’t be shocked at what “they” do, but I am alarmed at “why” we as a nation continue to allow it! http://www.airamericaplace.com/boards/style_emoticons/default/shrug.gif (broken link)

Old 06-19-2007, 06:16 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,137,563 times
Powerful thing to post, but sadly, very few responses. Americans are embarrassed by the truth. This Administration's support of torture is beyond comprehension. I find it utterly astonishing that simple majorities of those polled think it's OK. If they knew what it was and saw it firsthand, they'd run for the hills in shame. Out of sight, out of mind...out of their mind if you ask me. But, of course, America never faces the truth. It ignores it, like this and so many other important subjects.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:10 PM

Unhappy lack of credibility in this administration

Interesting that I’ve not heard much support for Rumsfeld and his actions of handling the war from the conservative side of the nation in the news. Seems that they (conservatives) just want to ignore the man and hope that all the bad things will go away.

I like to remind myself that George W. handpicked this administration to help him run the nation. My guess is that this was just another one of the mistakes that he made in picking a criminal to help run the war.

Is there any credibility with this administration anymore?

Old 06-19-2007, 10:32 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,109 times
I find it funny to what we call abuse compared to say having your family raped and shot in front of you right before you're beheaded ... I'm having trouble drawing parallels.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:07 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,137,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
I find it funny to what we call abuse compared to say having your family raped and shot in front of you right before you're beheaded ... I'm having trouble drawing parallels.
So, you mean that two wrongs make a right? We can mistreat them because they are horrible people and do horrible things to their enemies? I'd hate to see what they'd do to us in retaliation. You're asking for certain destruction if you pick this course of action.

Everybody complains about the enemy's atrocities but never looks in the mirror. The truth is that we have invaded peaceful states, purposefully directed the outcome of foreign elections, trained troops around the globe to kill and torture, used weapons on civilians for testing and development, etc. Our crimes are just as bad as theirs, just the details are different. Besides, what's on the news is intended to have maximum emotional impact. You must hate the enemy and you must hear this repeatedly.

When we can as a nation face the horror of our own actions we will be in a better position to move forward. Facing the truth is the American way, in my mind, and it's what we must do. Right now, if we think two wrongs make a right then eventually everyone will be dead. That's not a solution.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:22 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
So, you mean that two wrongs make a right? We can mistreat them because they are horrible people and do horrible things to their enemies? I'd hate to see what they'd do to us in retaliation. You're asking for certain destruction if you pick this course of action.

Everybody complains about the enemy's atrocities but never looks in the mirror. The truth is that we have invaded peaceful states, purposefully directed the outcome of foreign elections, trained troops around the globe to kill and torture, used weapons on civilians for testing and development, etc. Our crimes are just as bad as theirs, just the details are different. Besides, what's on the news is intended to have maximum emotional impact. You must hate the enemy and you must hear this repeatedly.

When we can as a nation face the horror of our own actions we will be in a better position to move forward. Facing the truth is the American way, in my mind, and it's what we must do. Right now, if we think two wrongs make a right then eventually everyone will be dead. That's not a solution.
How can you compare making some one wear a leash with say ... oh I don't know ... chopping their head off. Put it in perspective please.
We invaded peaceful states ... oh that's right Iraq and the rest of the middle east has never had a day of trouble until we came along ... how could I have missed that one. Please buy a history book and read it.

I'm not going to set here pick you post apart, which I could I will tell you that I hope you find your Utopian world, here in this place I like to call "Reality" it's not so pretty. We have well over 5000 years of recorded history that shows man can not and will not get along ... you have 1 of 2 choices to make, be the victor or be the victim. Which do you choose?
Does that sound barbaric? Man is who he is, you work with what you've got.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:03 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Here's the Seymour Hersh interview with General Taguba. The abuses were not just "putting a leash around someone's neck".
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...printable=true

Old 09-02-2008, 12:35 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
Americans, I don't think like the ugly truth; it is quickly forgotten. Why Bush was really persuaded to invaded Iraq is only known by his Nazi nanny. The idea that the deadly "p*ss sticks" used by the Vietnams is more civil than 'water boarding' is silly. You don't get life saving information by saying please, and 'water boarding' regardless of how terrifying it might seem, will not kill you. It's been used for centuries. War IS brutal; it is not civil, and it is not for those with a conscience.

I am quite sure if the fanatics in Iran were convinced if they did not stop the saber rattling they would be destroyed from the mountains to the sea they would be more open to diplomacy and less to religious fervor. After all, it was Big Boy that ended WWII and brought peace for 50 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies