Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 04:06 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,383,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Nikki Haley is poised to join Bobby Jindal as conservative Indian Americans running Deep South states. Tunku Varadarajan on how they’re exploding racial attitudes—and why the Dems don’t get it. Nikki Haley, née Nimrata Randhawa, is almost assured of the Republican nomination for governor of the state of South Carolina. And if she does win her runoff on June 22, she is almost certain to be elected governor in November, which would give rise to the remarkable fact that two deeply conservative Southern states—South Carolina and Louisiana—will be home to governors of Indian descent, one the son of Hindu immigrants, the other the daughter of Sikhs.
Here:
Nikki Haley Poised to Join Bobby Jindal as Indian-Americans Running Deep South States - The Daily Beast

It's rather unbelievable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 04:26 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,029,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post

were south carolinians aware that she was Indian american? She doesn't exactly look like a person that you would associate with Indian-ness. This is coming from a mexican american from texas who has heard this kind of talk all of his life. I'd be curious if the white so carolines would elect a darker skinned, less petite woman with sari over her shoulder. Kudos that she made it as far as she did in a state not known for giving minorities any breaks.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:39 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,696,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
were south carolinians aware that she was Indian american? She doesn't exactly look like a person that you would associate with Indian-ness. This is coming from a mexican american from texas who has heard this kind of talk all of his life. I'd be curious if the white so carolines would elect a darker skinned, less petite woman with sari over her shoulder. Kudos that she made it as far as she did in a state not known for giving minorities any breaks.
Maybe in a states like SC or LA, it was important that both Jindal and Nikki attend church. Jindal is a christian, and Nikki attends both the sikh and christian places of worship. It would be interesting if these people of Indian origin were hindus or muslims. Then again, you are starting to see many Indians in limelight - in Hollywood, in politics, on CNN (Gupta and Kiran ...) etc etc. We are slowly becoming more openminded, and that is good for us all. The irony is that a majority of Indians I know here tend to vote Dem, but these 2 are Republicans.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
In Louisiana Bobby Jindal had a brown hair, and he has been elected, and yes in SC they knew that about her

Old 06-10-2010, 04:59 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,251,204 times
While their successes are noteworthy, this is hardly indicative of any significant trend.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
While their successes are noteworthy, this is hardly indicative of any significant trend.
Maybe not.But Indian Americans are a small part, very small, of the population in South Caolina and Louisiana, so it's rather a surprise because they are much in New Jersey, California and New York but they don't have candidates in these states.

And apparently Indian Americans from NY vote Dem, but those from NJ vote Rep !

Old 06-10-2010, 05:24 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,543,473 times
Shes not the governer yet. I wouldnt count out good ole SC conservatism to raise its head just yet. The dem canidate is a white male and I think he can bleed some votes from her but we shall see. I must say conservatives across the country have surprised me with their willingness to let women take over.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:26 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,543,473 times
Oh yeah, and she's already been hit with a racial slur from a goper in case anyone didnt know it. Just google it.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:28 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,901,260 times
Quote:
Yes...perhaps you should stop thinking like it is 1950?

Old 06-10-2010, 05:31 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,901,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Shes not the governer yet. I wouldnt count out good ole SC conservatism to raise its head just yet. The dem canidate is a white male and I think he can bleed some votes from her but we shall see. I must say conservatives across the country have surprised me with their willingness to let women take over.
She is all but guaranteed the election.

The Dem candidate is actually black I believe...and facing criminal charges.My mistake,that was a Senatorial candidate...

And quite weird too...LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies