Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 01:41 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,279,569 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Ethnic Studies Exposed: Acting White
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 01:55 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Can you see why Arizona was right in banning ethnic studies? There's your proof

Old 06-12-2010, 02:14 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,324,645 times
I'm glad you posted this thread...thanks for giving me a platform in which to express some thoughts...

Questions..

1. How is it assumed that white people act??

2. And how is it assumed that white people speak??

3. And have the people who make these assumptions ever traveled around the country and or world??

Well I have...and there is no 'Standard' way that 'white' people speak or act'...if so I haven't seen it...

I see as much diversity in the white community as I see in all other communities...
Have you ever been to South Carolina and heard country folks speak? Ever heard country slang or dialect? Or Southern Dialect?

Ever heard North Eastern dialect?....there as different as night and day...and both spoken by 'white' people...so which is the standard?

Ever heard a white person from Idaho speak or Montana or Canada??

Again, different and distinct....

When people say 'speak white'...do they really mean speak 'proper'....

So do whites living in Alabamas country side all speak 'proper'??

Or in Louisiana?

Another question....
Why do some associate everything 'proper' with being 'white'??

Is that a sign of self loathing?? or worship??

To me, there is a proper way to speak and act regardless of what color you are...

For instance..if I'm living in Japan and speaking their language...I want to speak it in the most proper way that I can as to be understood by others...so am I trying to be Japenes? or I'm I just trying to speak the language properly.??

Also...God and the bible are the author of proper behavior...not man....proper behavior comes from ethics derived from the 10 commandments, or other virtuious books...not man...

There is plenty of behavior displayed in 'white man' that is not of god or virtue....

However, since the British colonized the world, they have become, for the most part, the 'standard' race...and the 'model' race...for all to aspire to be like...

America is a British colony...and whether we like it or not...for the most part, we're all raised as 'British sarogates'....

For we really have no other model to follow...it is what it is...
Gotta go, I'm being distracted right now and my thoughts are getting skewed...

Old 06-12-2010, 06:36 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Like they say that women have to act like men in order to make it to the top.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:46 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Like they say that women have to act like men in order to make it to the top.
Not Googirl!

http://www.scroogle.org/gifs/googirl3.jpg

Old 06-12-2010, 07:02 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,518 times
White people wear all sorts of stuff. I do find it interesting that I have yet to see any white people with purple spiked Mohawks and studded leather pants working at the bank... or anywhere else. While not 100% exclusively white, such attire is far more common among whites than anyone else yet because of their failure to conform to society, they are left to exist at the fringe. When in Rome...

Old 06-12-2010, 08:18 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,362,441 times
I don't think he is saying that learning in general is acting white but that learning and adopting certain cultural customs related to whites is "acting white". Like if you learn the chinese langauge and adopt certain Chinese customs that you live by then you're "acting Chinese". If that's where the professor is coming from then I understand what he means.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:41 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,097,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I don't think he is saying that learning in general is acting white but that learning and adopting certain cultural customs related to whites is "acting white". Like if you learn the chinese langauge and adopt certain Chinese customs that you live by then you're "acting Chinese". If that's where the professor is coming from then I understand what he means.
But Chinese is a nationality, white or black is a skin color. All black and white Americans are Americans first; and what about blacks in Canada and England where this doesn't exist?

Old 06-12-2010, 08:44 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,362,441 times
^
Chinese is also a culture. Yeah Black and white are skin colors but they are broader than just that and are also about culture.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:50 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Hmm. You don't like black people, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies