Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 08:54 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,194,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
Awww! I had my finger on the DEA speed-dial button of my phone until I got to that last part.
In my case you would have had to call the RCMP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 08:55 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
Awww! I had my finger on the DEA speed-dial button of my phone until I got to that last part.
You support that fascist destroyer of personal liberties?

Old 06-12-2010, 08:58 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Sure, why not.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:59 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Of course pot should be legal. People who think otherwise really aren't thinking it through. If it had always been legal NOBODY would be calling for it to be criminalized. They would say that would be a waste of time and money and manpower and not worth destroying lives over. They would be right...but for some reason they can't see it.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:03 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,567,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman View Post
Most people I know have much better things to worry about.

* 50% of the MExican Drug Cartel's profit comes from marijuana.

* 40% percent of drug possession arrests in the US are from marijuana.

* The arrest rate for marijuana possession goes UP each year, contrary to popular belief. (The RATE not the number mind you.)

* The United States has more of it own citizens in prison than any other country on Earth. #1 baby!

Now, if enslaving your own citizens over something that is essentially 'nothing to worry about' seems like a good idea to you...then hey, more power.
But it's not some throw away 'getting high' issue. It's about destroying families and lives over a small pointless thing that should be a choice made by an individual.
The drug war has ruined lives, families etc and enriched the Mexican Drug Cartels significantly. That's reason enough for me.

Here's a good starting place for you to read up if you so wish (I'm not holding my breath):
Common Sense for Drug Policy
Good luck!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."
-Abraham Lincoln (1809-65) U.S. President.
Speech, 18 Dec. 1840, to Illinois House of Representatives

Last edited by brubaker; 06-12-2010 at 09:14 PM..

Old 06-12-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
Our governments relation with the big drug companies is a joke and more exploited now than ever. Marijuana doesn't have half the side effects compared to the many prescription drugs advertised today. Opiates such as Vicodin,Oxycontin,Methadone,etc..all have addictive properties and are part of a huge epidemic among teens today, yet they are still easy to get. Marijuana is a cash crop and to deny it's many uses is just plain ignorant.

taxable revenue
reduce drug smugglers
reduce crowding in the prison systems and task force spending
hemp is stronger than cotton and has many more uses
bio fuel
safer than alcohol

I agree that each state should set its own policies.
I am for legalization, but it is not a very effective analgesic and I am not sure if Marijuana would or should be available to teens.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:27 PM

677 posts, read 1,620,627 times
Ideally it would be legalized everywhere, but that would never fly with certain political groups and religious fanatics, at least for the time being. I think that it would make the most sense to be dealt with on a state-by-state basis.

It is less dangerous than alcohol and tobacco. It does not make people aggressive, kill brain cells or turn people into losers with no ambitions, as said by many of the naysayers. It is a plant. A f***ing plant. I think it is ridiculously controlling and unnecessary to make a plant illegal, when it does not have any recorded negative qualities, except those associated with smoking any substance (i.e. lung/throat damage when used excessively).

It helps people to think more abstractly, though, which institutions such as government and religion loathe. Free thinking people would loosen their control over us and they can't have that.

I'm sure that it will become legal in my lifetime, as more and more people seem to be open minded and want to be progressive instead of clinging onto antiquated ideas that are beginning to lose their place in our society.

Last edited by mchelle; 06-12-2010 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: Typo! :(

Old 06-12-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchelle View Post
Ideally it would be legalized everywhere, but that would never fly with the republicans and religious fanatics, at least for the time being. I think that it would make the most sense to be dealt with on a state-by-state basis.

It is less dangerous than alcohol and tobacco. It does not make people aggressive, kill brain cells or turn people into losers with no ambitions, as said by many of the naysayers. It is a plant. A f***ing plant. I think it is ridiculously controlling and unnecessary to make a plant illegal, when it does not have any recorded negative qualities, except those associated with smoking any substance (i.e. lung/throat damage when used excessively).

It helps people to think more abstractly, though, which institutions such as government and religion loathe. Free thinking people would loosen their control over us and they can't have that.

I'm sure that it will become legal in my lifetime, as more and more people seem to be open minded and want to be progressive instead of clinging onto antiquated ideas that are beginning to lose their place in our society.

Any chance you can prove your assertion that Republicans would object?

Signed,

A Republican in favor of legalization.

Oh here is another one, not nearly as distinguished as me but you may have heard of him.

http://old.nationalreview.com/buckley/buckley200406291207.asp (broken link)

Old 06-12-2010, 09:39 PM

677 posts, read 1,620,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
Our governments relation with the big drug companies is a joke and more exploited now than ever. Marijuana doesn't have half the side effects compared to the many prescription drugs advertised today. Opiates such as Vicodin,Oxycontin,Methadone,etc..all have addictive properties and are part of a huge epidemic among teens today, yet they are still easy to get. Marijuana is a cash crop and to deny it's many uses is just plain ignorant.

taxable revenue
reduce drug smugglers
reduce crowding in the prison systems and task force spending
hemp is stronger than cotton and has many more uses
bio fuel
safer than alcohol

I agree that each state should set its own policies.
Great points! The fact that so many doctors promote prescription drugs that are largely untested is just insane. It's absolutely insane. Most of these drugs are not tested for more than a couple of months and it's only when patients have been using them for a while that it is discovered that long term use can cause SEVERE damage to a person's body and mind, particularly ones for depression and anxiety. I've seen so many recalls and heard about so many people killing themselves after taking certain medications, when a bit of Mary might have helped them...It makes me so sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Any chance you can prove your assertion that Republicans would object?

Signed,

A Republican in favor of legalization.

Oh here is another one, not nearly as distinguished as me but you may have heard of him.

William F. Buckley Jr. on Marijuana on National Review Online (http://old.nationalreview.com/buckley/buckley200406291207.asp - broken link)
Ah, this is why people don't make generalizations. My bad. I edited my post. Thanks for letting me know that my claim was unfounded. I'm glad to know that you support it...I'm just bitter after being surrounded by so many people of certain religious/political groups that I let it get the better of me.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchelle View Post
Great points! The fact that so many doctors promote prescription drugs that are largely untested is just insane. It's absolutely insane. Most of these drugs are not tested for more than a couple of months and it's only when patients have been using them for a while that it is discovered that long term use can cause SEVERE damage to a person's body and mind, particularly ones for depression and anxiety. I've seen so many recalls and heard about so many people killing themselves after taking certain medications, when a bit of Mary might have helped them...It makes me so sad.

Ah, this is why people don't make generalizations. My bad. I edited my post. Thanks for letting me know that my claim was unfounded. I'm glad to know that you support it...I'm just bitter after being surrounded by so many people of certain religious/political groups that I let it get the better of me.
No sweat, you would be surprised at the number of Republicans who support it.

By the way you should get away from those people you are surrounded by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies