Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2010, 10:33 AM

137 posts, read 170,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Dude, are you high?

Yes, I can usually tell when someone's been smoking. If I can't smell it on them, it's generally something about the way they act.
You think you can...but you would be surprised. There are a lot more pot smokers than you'd realize. Some of the people that I've discovered who were marijuana smokers were beyond surprising to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 11:05 AM

448 posts, read 534,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveycrockettino View Post
You think you can...but you would be surprised. There are a lot more pot smokers than you'd realize. Some of the people that I've discovered who were marijuana smokers were beyond surprising to me.
I too have friends who I can tell have been smoking. But then again I have buddies who are like stealth smokers and you can't even tell that they just smoked a couple bowls.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Sign's claim that the gateway theory has been "disproven," not quite.

According to a Reader's Digest report from 1996, a youngster 12-17 years old who smokes marijuana is 85 times more likely to use cocaine than one who does not.

Also, in 1993, 26% of all male teens arrested in 12 major cities tested positive for marijuana. In Washington, D.C., 52% of arrested juveniles tested positive for marijuana.

And, an example here:
Fred Motley of Spring Valley, N.Y. understands how dangerous marijuana is. He was a 12-year-old honor student when he first smoked pot. "I wanted to be accepted by the cool crowd," he said. He started smoking pot only on weekends, but then moved to LSD, cocaine and crack. He became increasingly belligerent, routinely skipped school and became depressed. He eventually entered a drug treatment program and for two years tried to put his life back together.

Remember, all of this started with marijuana, the "harmless" drug.

Unfortunately, the above story has been repeated many, many (too many) times by other people.
The gateway theory is probably the dumbest of all theories ever produced. Even though the result of Marijuana and Cocaine are exactly opposite (Marijuana is a downer and Cocaine is an upper), somehow a pot smoker is going to move on to cocaine? What sense does that make?

Kids who do drugs are going to obtain the easiest one to get first, which is pot, then they will move on to those that are more potent if they have serious issues at home. That 12 year old honor student clearly had personal issues if he was doing all that stuff at age 12.

100% of all people who have had cocaine once drank water. Probably 100% of them also had breast milk. I bet more people who have taken caffeine (a legal and popular narcotic) have moved on to cocaine than have those who used marijuana.

Plus, the main reason why the gateway theory even held any value was the whole "they buy pot from a dealer who then pushes the harder drug towards them" idea, and that's clearly a moot point if pot is legalized and sold at Rite-Aid instead of Joe the Dealer's house.

The lack of logic in that theory is astounding, but then again, it makes sense to have an illogical argument when your status is "fox news rules".

Last edited by Daveycrockettino; 06-25-2010 at 12:32 PM..

Old 06-25-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
So do you define anything is "lawful" as long there is no laws against it in the Constitution? Were people smoking weed back then?
Yes they were. Marijuana has been smoked for centuries and our constitution, the sails of the Mayflower and much of our early economy was based on the fact that Hemp was prevalent.

“Make the most of hemp seed and sow it everywhere,†declared George Washington in 1794.

"If people let government decide which foods they eat and medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."
-Thomas Jefferson

"An acre of the best ground for hemp, is to be selected and sewn in hemp and be kept for a permanent hemp patch." - Thomas Jefferson's Garden book

"What was done with the seed saved from the India Hemp last summer? It ought, all of it, to have been sewn again; that not only a stock of seed sufficient for my own purposes might have been raised, but to have disseminated the seed to others; as it is more valuable than the common Hemp." -George Washington

In 1619 the Virginia Assembly passed legislation requiring every farmer to grow hemp. Hemp was allowed to be exchanged as legal tender in Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Maryland.

Domestic production flourished until after the Civil War, when imports and other domestic materials replaced hemp for many purposes. In the late nineteenth century, marijuana became a popular ingredient in many medicinal products and was sold openly in public pharmacies.

La Guardia Report finds marijuana less dangerous

New York Academy of Medicine issued an extensively researched report declaring that, contrary to earlier research and popular belief, use of marijuana did not induce violence, insanity or sex crimes, or lead to addiction or other drug use.

Is that enough evidence for you?

Old 06-25-2010, 12:45 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
when I was in my addiction, I wanted it legalized too, but then I went through hell before I finally got clean and sober
no, making drugs legal is not a smart thing to do
So what? Bannng drugs sure didn't work to keep you off of them. Therefore, it makes better sense to legalize and regulate drugs, so that what's going on with drugs in the marktet place will be more out in the open, rather than kept secret and covered up as is the case now. Besides, drugs will never be a smart thing for some people to fool around with, without it mattering if some drugs are legal or not.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
A society does need some laws. Too much freedom leads to anarchy.
Nobody is saying that laws shouldn't exist. Nobody is saying that we should legalize kidnapping, murder, rape or any crimes that harm another person or living creature, but rather legalize something that grows in nature and has been a part of society for thousands of years.

Quote:
Depends on the person. For many, marijuana is much more dangerous than alcohol.
No, it's not. Not for anyone. This is absolutely false and completely lacking in any logic or proof. Can someone OD on marijuana and die? Do hundreds of stoned drivers kill innocent people every year because they're driving like maniacs? Do people who just smoked marijuana physically abuse their kids like those who drink? Seriously, alcohol is far more dangerous and far more damaging to society in every single way. Despite that, it's far better having Alcohol being legal instead of being prohibited and we have evidence to prove that with the whole failure of Prohibition in this country.

Quote:
Obviously, I meant introducing it legally into society.
??? And what difference would that make other than bringing tax dollars to our country and shrinking the revenue of drug dealers everywhere in the world?

Quote:
As I've said before, if people would just stop using that junk, there would be no black market for it. Or any market.

Yeah, cause after being illegal for 80 years it's well on its way to being eliminated from society. Seriously, do you think before you type? There is a market for it and it is massive, so with your brilliant prohibition we get to see that market benefit the Juarez Cartel instead of an American tax-paying corporation. Yeah, that's freaking genius!

Quote:
Opposing legalizing a mind-altering drug does not make one a fascist or a hypocrite. Watch how you label people who don't agree with your opinions.
No, it's fascist. It's also not a "mind-altering drug" but rather a "psychoactive herb", just another one of your major factual errors. Telling people what they can and cannot do when it has no effect on others is the very definition of being fascist and authoritarian. You feel like you're better than everyone else and it's up to you to decide how they live their lives.

How else would you describe your political ideology other than calling it Fascist? It's certainly not Libertarian, and many would argue that it's not a Republican position to be strictly for the drug war (even though it was mostly propagated by the GOP) since there are quite a few prominent Republicans who don't fully support the drug war, especially the part of it that fights marijuana.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:30 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,953,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveycrockettino View Post
Nobody is saying that laws shouldn't exist. Nobody is saying that we should legalize kidnapping, murder, rape or any crimes that harm another person or living creature, but rather legalize something that grows in nature and has been a part of society for thousands of years.

No, it's not. Not for anyone. This is absolutely false and completely lacking in any logic or proof. Can someone OD on marijuana and die? Do hundreds of stoned drivers kill innocent people every year because they're driving like maniacs? Do people who just smoked marijuana physically abuse their kids like those who drink? Seriously, alcohol is far more dangerous and far more damaging to society in every single way. Despite that, it's far better having Alcohol being legal instead of being prohibited and we have evidence to prove that with the whole failure of Prohibition in this country.

??? And what difference would that make other than bringing tax dollars to our country and shrinking the revenue of drug dealers everywhere in the world?

Yeah, cause after being illegal for 80 years it's well on its way to being eliminated from society. Seriously, do you think before you type? There is a market for it and it is massive, so with your brilliant prohibition we get to see that market benefit the Juarez Cartel instead of an American tax-paying corporation. Yeah, that's freaking genius!

No, it's fascist. It's also not a "mind-altering drug" but rather a "psychoactive herb", just another one of your major factual errors. Telling people what they can and cannot do when it has no effect on others is the very definition of being fascist and authoritarian. You feel like you're better than everyone else and it's up to you to decide how they live their lives.

How else would you describe your political ideology other than calling it Fascist? It's certainly not Libertarian, and many would argue that it's not a Republican position to be strictly for the drug war (even though it was mostly propagated by the GOP) since there are quite a few prominent Republicans who don't fully support the drug war, especially the part of it that fights marijuana.

It just blows some people's minds....to think that NOT every pot smoker is a worthless scum, or could even perhaps, share the exact same type of CONSERVATIVE VALUES as they might.......AND still smoke pot!
Some of them would probably fall over, if they KNEW just how widespread and mainstream marijuana use really is!
Many of 'em ASSUME pot smokers to all be on welfare, unemployed and lazy LIBERALS, I guess.
How WRONG they would be, in making this assumption too!
This is where they are sadly mistaken and perhaps, cannot fathom, how anyone could remotely share the same family values or political ideology as they do......and still be a marijuana smoker.
It goes against their moral code......one they seem to refuse to recognize or accept.
But, it is a reality........ and one which could truly be addressed by the Right, for their own benefit, perhaps?

But, in their minds.....I'm sure they will always be thinking..."NO WAY any pot smoker shares the same beliefs, political ideology or sentiments as I DO!"

This is where they are BLIND and obviously, believe they are a BETTER class of people in every way.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:52 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
If people can smoke cigarettes and die of cancer, or get drunk enough to the point of beating their family, I don't see why not Marijuanna can't be legalized.
Unlike tobacco, Marijuana can easily be grown by pretty much anyone, so many people will indeed cheat out taxes by a large margin. This is why our effed up government doesn't want to legalize the sale of marijuana.
The excuse "It's a gateway drug" is BS the high school health teachers are forced to teach so that teens will think twice before smoking. Well what was the gateway to marijuana? What's the gateway to cigarettes? If someone is really interested in altered states they're going to get as many altered states as possible- In other words, they're going to to do as many different drugs as possible- Marijuana is not a gateway drug!

There's a crime related to everything, so even if some people who decide to grow their own marijuana, way more are willing to buy marijuana from cafe's. The government rakes in over 9 billion dollars a year selling Tobacco, think if the government raked in about another 5 billion dollars (a total guess) in Marijuana taxes. The economy would definitely improve. All the Marijuana Cafe's would need employees, all the marijuana farms would need farmers, etc etc. The solution for the economic fail this country has been experiencing is RIGHT THERE!

Last edited by BPerone201; 06-25-2010 at 04:20 PM..

Old 06-25-2010, 09:06 PM

448 posts, read 534,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
If people can smoke cigarettes and die of cancer, or get drunk enough to the point of beating their family, I don't see why not Marijuanna can't be legalized.
Unlike tobacco, Marijuana can easily be grown by pretty much anyone, so many people will indeed cheat out taxes by a large margin. This is why our effed up government doesn't want to legalize the sale of marijuana.
The excuse "It's a gateway drug" is BS the high school health teachers are forced to teach so that teens will think twice before smoking. Well what was the gateway to marijuana? What's the gateway to cigarettes? If someone is really interested in altered states they're going to get as many altered states as possible- In other words, they're going to to do as many different drugs as possible- Marijuana is not a gateway drug!

There's a crime related to everything, so even if some people who decide to grow their own marijuana, way more are willing to buy marijuana from cafe's. The government rakes in over 9 billion dollars a year selling Tobacco, think if the government raked in about another 5 billion dollars (a total guess) in Marijuana taxes. The economy would definitely improve. All the Marijuana Cafe's would need employees, all the marijuana farms would need farmers, etc etc. The solution for the economic fail this country has been experiencing is RIGHT THERE!
I agree with you. The gateway drug idea is a load. But I personally have found out it's hard to grow marijuana. Just because you have to take care of it so often, water it right, grow it for a certain amount of time, etc. I've heard it's easier to grow indoors, is this true?

Old 06-25-2010, 09:10 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
I'm fairly new to this site, but this has most definitely been a thread before. I just want to hear your thoughts.

I want it legalized everywhere. I don't mean for medicinal purposes. Just wanted to hear what people on this site thinks about Chronic.

Thanks.
Welcome to the site and good luck.

I'm all for legalizing it Van BC style. Unfortunately the United States of America is soulfully a few steps behind so it might be a couple of generations before we see people vastly understanding how good it may be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies