Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2010, 10:27 AM

448 posts, read 534,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
It is a gateway drug for too many. That is a fact.

Even more intelligent minds don't smoke it.
It's not a gateway drug for lots of users too. Wouldn't you think there would be more users of harmful drugs like cocaine, heroin, PCP, ect. if weed was actually a gateway drug and turned a majority of its users to other harmful substances?

And for the second statement...Touché.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 11:28 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,917,285 times
Quote:

If pot is a gateway drug then so is nicotine and alcohol. Hell caffeine is usually the first drug people use in their lives. Ban all the soda for god's sake and think of the children!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah nobody intelligent smokes it. Tell that to the high numbers of successful lawyers, doctors, architects, computer designers, company owners, nurses, and other folks who routinely smoke the pot.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Actually, I find the Reader's Digest more credible. It has been around for over 80 years. I notice the link you posted did not mention adolescent use of marijuana in the Netherlands.

Anyway, I don't know what is going on with all these questions.

I strongly oppose legalization of marijuana. And I won't change my mind. IMO, legalization of that would be insane.
Buhahahaha......taking Reader's Digest studies performed decades ago over current clinical studies by professionals in today's environment. Ignorance is a wonderful thing!

Old 06-26-2010, 12:00 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
The marijuana's legalization will be the first step for several moves, around the world, began discussing the legalization of cocaine, heroin and pedophilia.
And many others things.
The same must have been said as to what would happen before alcohol was relegalized over 7 decades ago.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:10 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Sign's claim that the gateway theory has been "disproven," not quite.

According to a Reader's Digest report from 1996, a youngster 12-17 years old who smokes marijuana is 85 times more likely to use cocaine than one who does not.

Also, in 1993, 26% of all male teens arrested in 12 major cities tested positive for marijuana. In Washington, D.C., 52% of arrested juveniles tested positive for marijuana.

And, an example here:
Fred Motley of Spring Valley, N.Y. understands how dangerous marijuana is. He was a 12-year-old honor student when he first smoked pot. "I wanted to be accepted by the cool crowd," he said. He started smoking pot only on weekends, but then moved to LSD, cocaine and crack. He became increasingly belligerent, routinely skipped school and became depressed. He eventually entered a drug treatment program and for two years tried to put his life back together.

Remember, all of this started with marijuana, the "harmless" drug.

Unfortunately, the above story has been repeated many, many (too many) times by other people.
Really, all such data above proved overwhelmingly more than anything else how the ban on some drugs, like marijuana, has been a vast failure.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:57 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
If pot is a gateway drug then so is nicotine and alcohol. Hell caffeine is usually the first drug people use in their lives. Ban all the soda for god's sake and think of the children!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah nobody intelligent smokes it. Tell that to the high numbers of successful lawyers, doctors, architects, computer designers, company owners, nurses, and other folks who routinely smoke the pot.
I would say alcohol and nicotine are true gateway drugs. Pot is not.

Lots of intelligent people smoke the reefer. To dispute that fact is extremely naive or just perhaps a hard truth to swallow by folks who are freaked out, for whatever reason, about pot. Alcohol is far more damaging- to health and public safety.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:10 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
I don't consume nicotine or alcohol. Caffeine is not a mind-altering drug. Besides the subject of this thread isn't about those.

Quote:
I didn't say that nobody intelligent smokes it. I know that I certainly don't need or want to. But I do have certain morals and values which many people lack (yes, even "intelligent" people).

Old 06-26-2010, 02:12 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
I would say alcohol and nicotine are true gateway drugs. Pot is not.
A ridiculous claim. Pot is indeed a gateway drug. Statistics prove it.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:25 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,919 times
Quote:
I disagree. Whatever.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I don't consume nicotine or alcohol. Caffeine is not a mind-altering drug. Besides the subject of this thread isn't about those.

I didn't say that nobody intelligent smokes it. I know that I certainly don't need or want to. But I do have certain morals and values which many people lack (yes, even "intelligent" people).
Yet more people overdose on caffeine than pot (which the number of OD's on pot is zero). Just because you don't consume something doesn't mean that everybody else should be deprived of it (unless you want to control everything according to your values which not everybody is going to hold). Yes, the thread isn't about those other drugs but we are talking about gateway drugs......I'd bet you most people who do crack or heroin first started on caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol. They would seem to be the true gateway drugs not pot.

Quote:
What, those studies from 1978? Go back and read the links provided by another posted that clearly shows pot is not a gateway drug. I don't smoke pot but have tons of friends who do it. 95% of them only smoke pot (and some of them won't even touch cigarettes). I can understand why you might think this way as you seem to come from the "Reefer Madness Movie" train of thought and everything......

Gateway Theory | Drug War Facts

29 Isn't marijuana a gateway drug? Doesn't it lead to use of harder drugs?

Research Proves Marijuana is Not a "Gateway Drug" | StoptheDrugWar.org

Last edited by R.J. MacReady; 06-26-2010 at 02:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies