Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2010, 04:15 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Too much "freedom" leads to anarchy.

It was criminalized for the good of society, not because of "false propaganda."
You would despise Vancouver BC. Lots of public pot smoking and "anarchy"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 04:16 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
You would despise Vancouver BC. Lots of public pot smoking and "anarchy"

I would love to live in Vancouver one day. Unfortunately money is an issue at the moment . And the fact that I live in the US .

Old 06-26-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
Yet more people overdose on caffeine than pot (which the number of OD's on pot is zero).
And more people die and wreck their life (or others) from alcohol use and abuse than pot. And more people die from cigarettes than pot use.

hhmmmm

I quit smokin the reefer a while ago but when I'm an old lady I look forward to sparkin up again.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
I would love to live in Vancouver one day. Unfortunately money is an issue at the moment . And the fact that I live in the US .
I have my other favorite cities but Vancouver BC truly is lovely. Hope you find your way to relocating there someday

Old 06-26-2010, 04:32 PM

448 posts, read 533,963 times
Quote:
Pot is indeed a gateway drug.

http://cinie.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/marijuana-1114.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-26-2010, 04:42 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,240,443 times
If anyone out there thinks the "gateway drug" theory has any legitimacy, then I suppose you all advocate criminalizing cigarette smoking (if drugs are really illegal due to health concerns, then cigarettes are by far the most dangerous). If you are willing to breathe smoke into your lungs to alter your mood (cigarettes seem to be calming because not smoking causes stress to the addict), then obviously it's a small jump to Pot and Crack Cocaine.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
If anyone out there thinks the "gateway drug" theory has any legitimacy, then I suppose you all advocate criminalizing cigarette smoking (if drugs are really illegal due to health concerns, then cigarettes are by far the most dangerous). If you are willing to breathe smoke into your lungs to alter your mood (cigarettes seem to be calming because not smoking causes stress to the addict), then obviously it's a small jump to Pot and Crack Cocaine.
True. It's strange that the people posting here that seem to support the theory of pot as a gateway drug haven't seemed to touch the discussion and reality of cigarettes and alcohol being gateway drugs. It's like they completely ignore that. Very strange.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:25 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,953,293 times
Quote:
Too much "freedom" leads to anarchy.

It was criminalized for the good of society, not because of "false propaganda."
Hmmmm?

It was NEVER criminalized "for the good of society."
It was.....out of BIGOTRY and RACISM.......nothing more.

William Randolf Hearst had the POWER and influence (and full support of Harry Anslinger)......to ensure marijuana would become illegal for reasons that would only serve THEIR interests.
Mayor of NYC (LaGuardia)....was VERY much AGAINST any marijuana law (Federal level or otherwise).....that would only serve to try in vain and eradicate pot, or all those who used it around NYC.
Nationwide?
He knew this would end up being a HUGE WASTE of money, time and resources!
HE was a RATIONAL mayor, IMHO.
He SLAMMED the reasoning and purpose to criminalize pot users........to no avail.
MANY others thought like Anslinger.....including Richard Nixon (who trash-canned the most detailed medical findings on marijuana...to date), when WHAT what he read in this report.....went counter to EVERYTHING HE had believed and therefore, provided NOTHING that he wanted to hear!
Nixon personally disspelled ALL medical findings which were in full agreement.....that marijuana smoking is relatively HARMLESS!
He trashed canned the report and moved forward with HIS idea of how to deal with the "exploding" use of pot in America, back then.

Carter would come along and suggest FULL DECRIMINALIZATION for adults.....just to have one of his cabinet aides get caught up in a cocaine scandal.....which would seal the fate for marijuana decrim. in America.

Reagan and Nancy......CRACKED DOWN HARD.....on ALL of it!
This would surely....up the stakes in a long-lost "war" since by now......marijuana use was totally mainstream.

Do you think THESE folks agree with your assessment?

www.leap.org

Old 06-28-2010, 12:21 PM

448 posts, read 533,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
I agree with you. It's one thing to smoke pot but another to use crack. The gateway drug theory is just another false statement that the people against marjuana came up with to scare potential users away. God forbid if I smoke a plant, I'll end up in homeless, in the streets, and looking for my next fix! Give me a break!

Old 06-28-2010, 01:01 PM

137 posts, read 170,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
The marijuana's legalization will be the first step for several moves, around the world, began discussing the legalization of cocaine, heroin and pedophilia.
And many others things.

Yeah, cause the victimization of a child is the same as the inhalation of the smoke from a naturally growing plant.

When you are arguing for the criminalization of Marijuana, this is the kind of company you keep. People with thought processes like this should not be allowed to vote because they are clearly incapable of logic and reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies