Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 01:27 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post

"You do know that pot has a real tendency to make you be a "coach" potato and ignore your responsibilities when you start "abusing" it and stop "using" it right?"

<Defining the difference between using and abusing is a fine line and can only be determined by the outcome of its use
or abuse. I love cheeseburgers
but wouldn't you say that if I became grossly overweight and jeopardized my health, that it would constitute "abuse"? the government should care
as much about obesity in this country as much as they do about abuse of cannabis.>

Just about every 18 year old would ABUSE it not simply USE it.

<This too, sounds terribly presumptuous and is certainly not a statement that can be supported beyond your own declaration. Whether it is legal or illegal,
I believe that 18 year old young adults tend to do whatever their hearts are inclined to do just as their parents did a generation ago.>

Their grades and job performance would suffer from that, further widening the gap of teenage unemployment and failing schools. That is a real danger.

<A greater danger by far, is that there are no jobs left for them. The stewards of government, the legislators and the self-serving politicians have seen to that.
In New York, we have the State Lottery, it was instituted to augment and improve our educational institutions but still our children leave schools with a second
rate education and enter a depleted job market but I strongly support the notion that it is not because of marijuana but more so, of the prevailing failure of
government to ensure that reasonable educational standards are maintained>

I'm not against legalizing it on a large scale, but it has to be done right and not just some knee-jerk reaction.

< After 80 years of prohibition, any new policy review or change, I feel would not be a " knee-jerk" reaction.>

I really feel that you would have to be somewhat mature to be able to decide if you want to get high or take care of your responsibilities,
if you leave those decisions to kids or have such lax laws with it, the right decisions won't be made.

< How you can associate the upholding or the shirking of responsibility with marijuana, is beyond my comprehension.
We leave the decision as to joining the military to go off and die in Iraq or Afghanistan, to the 18 year old but we deny these same
young adults the right to decide for themselves whether or not to use marijuana. And still, we consider ourselves to be a progressive society?
I hardly think so!>
I'd be willing to bet my last pack of EZ Wider that you have never used marijuana and are among that class of unenlightened people who're always opinionated and usually,
without benefit of first hand experience. We need less opinions on this growing issue and more results if we are to move ahead because my ability to afford to pay the
government to jail pot users is wearing thin and if the government wants to keep ****ing away my money chasing windmills, then maybe, just maybe they aught to provide
the jobs, so very necessary in order to enable me to continue to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 01:29 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
I've used it, didn't care for it.

But I don't see why other people should not be able to sensibly enjoy it if they'd like.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:36 PM

448 posts, read 534,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I've used it, didn't care for it.

But I don't see why other people should not be able to sensibly enjoy it if they'd like.
Why didn't you care for it? I've known a couple people who haven't but they all have different reasons. I'm just curious.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:45 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
It didn't give me more of a kick than the tobacco I smoked at the time.

So I didn't see a point in it. Got more out of nicotine--I've since quit. It just costs too much anymore.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:46 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I dont think it should be legalized. Cute username though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
Awww! I had my finger on the DEA speed-dial button of my phone until I got to that last part.

I think it should be legalized but I understand the reluctance by everyday people not associated with 'Big Pharma'.

I believe something like mj possession would be considered a 'Broken Window Crime'.
A small crime that just erodes 'Law & Order' making it easier for bigger ones to take place.

Not saying I agree with that but...it is what it is.
Sometimes I think it should be severely decriminalized (civil violation $100) but not legalized.

I go back and forth by the hour (and even sentence) ...but for sure any jail time should be out of the question.
These comments as well as many others just show the hypocrisy within the lack of experience.

Make up your mind "brubaker" - it's one or the other.

I have a thread on here about the same thing. Marijuana should be legal. Unlike alcohol as well as many other drugs marijuana CANNOT be overdosed on. In other words... "It's not a killer".

Old 07-06-2010, 01:50 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,194,417 times
Quote:
It didn't give me more of a kick than the tobacco I smoked at the time.<snip>
Same with me, the first couple of times I tried it that is!
Off to roll myself a fatty!

Old 07-06-2010, 01:51 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
These comments as well as many others just show the hypocrisy within the lack of experience.

I have a thread on here about the same thing. Marijuana should be legal. Unlike alcohol as well as many other drugs marijuana CANNOT be overdosed on. In other words... "It's not a killer".
I believe it should be legalized, but I do see the difference between MJ and alcohol. I'm a homebrewer and good beer drinker, and I can sit back and drink one good I.P.A. with a meal for the taste of it. You can't really do the same thing with dank. It has one recreational purpose, and that is to get f'd up.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:02 PM

448 posts, read 534,003 times
Quote:
It didn't give me more of a kick than the tobacco I smoked at the time.

So I didn't see a point in it. Got more out of nicotine--I've since quit. It just costs too much anymore.
Many people who smoke the first few times don't get "high", like frequent smokers do. I didn't get high the first time but I smoked a few more times and it ended up being great. (And the bud I got was nice as hell )

I've started using dip a few years ago because alot of buddies on my hockey team did. Then a few months ago I smoked a pack of ports and it was awful. I got no buzz and just stunk of cigs. So Im just staying with packing, it gives you a way bigger buzz than cigs. But I am going to have to quit soon.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:26 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post

Being slightly past "4:20", and in complete agreement with your comment, it occurred to me, that if I were to have to support a counter argument
and to qualify (as government has), marijuana as a "killer" , it would be only because of the way the God-given weed Cannabis has, at governments
behest, become such problem that they (Uncle Sam), keep killing the studies and reports that have been done on marijuana? Taxes are killing us
but they continue to rise. Wars are killing us but they won't turn off the endless war machine. This economy is killing us, one family at a time, foreclosure
after foreclosure but still, our leaders keep thinning out the American way, the American dream by filling our prisons with the "criminals" that they've made
and by continually sustaining their own appointed levels, feathering their nests and furthering no other cause except their own.

We have been duped, lied to, folded, spindled and psychologically mutilated by the drug war and in spite of the obvious failure of this ill conceived war and
the growing menace, that a foolishly continued criminalization of Cannabis, will inevitably lead us further toward that looming and ultimate, cliff edge.
There was once a time when there were enlightened legislators to deal with progressive issues but that time is not now, Big government has become
somewhat of a runaway machine, its priorities are terribly out of order and people are rapidly losing faith and trust in our "leaders". Listen closer, friend
but listen with your heart and surely, you might just hear the sheep bleating louder and louder, as they're being led off to slaughter.

If I'm about to overdose on anything, it would most likely be on failed government policy.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:32 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I believe it should be legalized, but I do see the difference between MJ and alcohol. I'm a homebrewer and good beer drinker, and I can sit back and drink one good I.P.A. with a meal for the taste of it. You can't really do the same thing with dank. It has one recreational purpose, and that is to get f'd up.
Beer is a TOTALLY different animal than heavy alcohol.

I drink microbrews, and have experimented in home brew. I have a very good friend of mine who brews for a living down here (you probably know him, or of him, so I'm not saying who or where).

Beer is traditionally a staple of the human diet, not so with Whiskey.

That said, I agree with you about pot being only good for one thing, to get stoned. Just like alcohol is just to get drunk.

I just don't put beer into the same category, and neither does the federal government. Thats why you can home brew legally, but you can't distill at home for the purposes of consumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies