Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 06:58 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,396,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilpin Girl View Post
I'm a Rino. I would probably agree with you on many political issues. I, however, believe in debating issues on merit. You want anyone who disagrees with you to "keep their mouth shut" your words, not mine.
Thats a definite twisting of my words, but not my words. I would welcome an in-context quote showing where I stated this in a previous post. Please, I'll check back in a few.

But lets be clear, me wanting someone to keep their mouth shut because they have differing views than mine, and wanting them to keep their mouth shut because we are in mixed social company, are two completely different things.

What you did is take my original reasoning (no politics in mixed company), and substitute it for another reason (they disagree with me), to form a false opposition to my claim based on the illusion that you created that I was being closed minded. Typical dishonest tactic.

I think I'm through responding to you, because every single response has been riddled with false logic and claims. Not that you'll stop responding, but thats fine. its just taking up too much time to show you where your hastily crafted arguments and retorts, as to my political affiliation and reasoning for my post, are flawed.

Although, I originally brought my example from the experience of having to listen to neo-conservatives voice damning opinions at mixed social events, I would be equally offended and uncomfortable if a liberal damned the neo-conservatives at a mixed social event. It would be rude. However, I don't remember the last time that I experienced this. i'm not saying that none of you don't experience this, i was just bringing up and asking about my experience.

I'm sure there will be some more anecdotes about liberals being blowhards. Thats fine. They exist too. Go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 07:02 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Thats a definite twisting of my words, but not my words. I would welcome an in-context quote showing where I stated this in a previous post. Please, I'll check back in a few.

But lets be clear, me wanting someone to keep their mouth shut because they have differing views than mine, and wanting them to keep their mouth shut because we are in mixed social company, are two completely different things.

What you did is take my original reasoning (no politics in mixed company), and substitute it for another reason (they disagree with me), to form a false opposition to my claim based on the illusion that you created that I was being closed minded. Typical dishonest tactic.

I think I'm through responding to you, because every single response has been riddled with false logic and claims. Not that you'll stop responding, but thats fine. its just taking up too much time to show you where your hastily crafted arguments and retorts, as to my political affiliation and reasoning for my post, are flawed.

Although, I originally brought my example from the experience of having to listen to neo-conservatives voice damning opinions at mixed social events, I would be equally offended and uncomfortable if a liberal damned the neo-conservatives at a mixed social event. It would be rude. However, I don't remember the last time that I experienced this. i'm not saying that none of you don't experience this, i was just bringing up and asking about my experience.

I'm sure there will be some more anecdotes about liberals being blowhards. Thats fine. They exist too. Go for it.

Very well said. +5

Old 06-13-2010, 07:07 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
That was the absolute longest "give me a shoulder to cry on" rant that i've heard in a while.

Two things:

1) There's a time and a place for social decorum. You did not mention the "time" nor the "place" that you find it contemptable to talk about politics. It's one thing to talk politics at the laundromat, at the bar, or at a friends house. All of those are social settings. It's another thing to talk politics at a funeral, wedding, office party, etc. I think you'd be more satisfied if you NEVER had to hear a conservative talk the issues again. I'd wager that that's the real issue here.

2) You're more liberal than you think you are. The whole time I was reading your rant I was thinking "limp-wristed, liberal, wussy." Conservatives are generally more principled in their politics and it shows through their eagerness to challenge liberal ideology. You say you're middle of the road-esque on the issues, but your temperament and your character ooze "Why am I always the wronged one?" I"d be willing to bet that many conservatives you encounter could take you to the cleaners in debate. Accordingly, you keep your mouth shut because its completely in chorus with the vicitim mentality that pervades liberal ideology.

That's what I read from this rant. Those true colors are shining quite bright.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:10 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,947,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I"d be willing to bet that many conservatives you encounter could take you to the cleaners in debate.
But...but...he said he's educated.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:10 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,396,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
lol...too too much...this video isn't even in context with my original post.

Or in context, in any way, to argue with my political beliefs, which are irrelevant to the argument anyway, even of it were.

Can someone say reading comprehension?

The posting of this video just proves so, so many of the points that I made here today about the voicing of political beliefs by the neo-right. They just say what they want to say, anywhere, or anytime, regardless of whether it is socially acceptable or even relevant to the present conversation. While this video is socially acceptable, as we aren't all seated around a dinner table socializing, it is in no way relevant to my complaint.

If people don't listen, and if they don't stop interpreting what they want to interpret to fit their agenda, then no conversation will ever be possible.

Ok, I admit it! I'm a liberal trying to shut up the right!!! lol...too..too much

Yeesh...you people are something else.

see ya.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:16 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The whole time I was reading your rant I was thinking "limp-wristed, liberal, wussy."
How could anyone be so flat-out mean to other human beings? I was raised on the teachings of Christ, so perhaps that keeps me from making blanket judgments of millions of people as "limp-wristed" and "wussy".

So much cruelty from people who probably think themselves decent and good. I shall wait for our political discourse to mature beyond adolescence in this country.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:17 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,971 times
[quote=golgi1;14601895]
Quote:
What's so hard to understand about this? It's not brain surgery.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:20 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
How could anyone be so flat-out mean to other human beings? I was raised on the teachings of Christ, so perhaps that keeps me from making blanket judgments of millions of people as "limp-wristed" and "wussy".

So much cruelty from people who probably think themselves decent and good. I shall wait for our political discourse to mature beyond adolescence in this country.
I hope you believe in reincarnation because it's not going to happen in this lifetime.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:21 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post

Cruelty? LOL I suppose the OP could refer to my words as cruelty too. He's thin-skinned, and apparently you are too. Which would wholly and completely make my case: The victim mentality that pervades liberal ideology goes further than any of us could have ever imagined. So when the message is inconvenient, shut it up! At least that's what you folks would like to see happen.

Sorry, I don't live in the politically correct world that you live in BlueFly.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:21 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
[quote=Zekester;14602136]
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
What's so hard to understand about this? Why do you guys on the right keep getting it so wrong? It's not brain surgery.
There's something going on with the right that's been brewing since the early 2000s. I don't know if it's the growth of the right-wing media machine or what, but the ability to have civil discourse without reducing it to broadly false caricatures of the "evil other" seems to have faded from that end of the political spectrum.

Very disconcerting, as there's a lot of merit in right-wing ideology. This thread alone proves that the way it is presented pushes rational people away. I just imagine a bunch of people with torches and their wagons circled, poking their pitchforks at any who approach with questions or doubt.

Glad I wasn't raised that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies