Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 07:24 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,699,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Cruelty? LOL I suppose the OP could refer to my words as cruelty too. He's thin-skinned, and apparently you are too. Which would wholly and completely make my case: The victim mentality that pervades liberal ideology goes further than any of us could have ever imagined. So when the message is inconvenient, shut it up!
There you go again with the "shut up people who don't agree with you" argument. Who has ever even suggested doing that? Is this something that you all have been told to say in reaction to any discussion?

And what "message" is being delivered in calling people "limp-wristed" and "wussy"?

Since I'm not a liberal, it's nothing personal to me and I could care less about the politics of what you're implying. I was simply observing the cruelty of your statement against people in general who hold a different political view than yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 07:25 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,534,740 times
Quote:
Cruelty? LOL I suppose the OP could refer to my words as cruelty too. He's thin-skinned, and apparently you are too. Which would wholly and completely make my case: The victim mentality that pervades liberal ideology goes further than any of us could have ever imagined. So when the message is inconvenient, shut it up! At least that's what you folks would like to see happen.

Sorry, I don't live in the politically correct world that you live in BlueFly.

and I guess for some of those on the Right ideology is "if one's opinion differs from yours, attack, degrade, belittle, disrespect just for the shear purpose of being right and attempt to have the last word"

Old 06-13-2010, 07:27 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,112,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
There you go again with the "shut up people who don't agree with you" argument. Who has ever even suggested doing that? Is this something that you all have been told to say in reaction to any discussion?

And what "message" is being delivered in calling people "limp-wristed" and "wussy"?

Since I'm not a liberal, it's nothing personal to me and I could care less about the politics of what you're implying. I was simply observing the cruelty of your statement against people in general who hold a different political view than yourself.

Very barbaric presentation.
The OP stated that he's rarely in the position to have civil dialogue. So what's the point of this thread then? I'll tell you: To rant about conservatives. Plain and simple. And when he was challenged, as he obviously does not like to be, what does he do? He vanishes!

Every facet of the OP's rant just screams: I only like differing political views when the time and place is convenient for ME! And when it's not? Then shut up!

You folks are amazing.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:28 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,393,887 times
Quote:
That was the absolute longest "give me a shoulder to cry on" rant that i've heard in a while.

Two things:

1) There's a time and a place for social decorum. You did not mention the "time" nor the "place" that you find it contemptable to talk about politics. It's one thing to talk politics at the laundromat, at the bar, or at a friends house. All of those are social settings. It's another thing to talk politics at a funeral, wedding, office party, etc. I think you'd be more satisfied if you NEVER had to hear a conservative talk the issues again. I'd wager that that's the real issue here.
Over and over again, I said not in mixed company. But more specifically, work and family gatherings would be the most inappropriate. Basically, anywhere where a political argument would be inappropriate. of course, at a bar or at a party would be better, as long as no one got so out of control as to ruin the atmosphere of the social event.

Quote:
2) You're more liberal than you think you are. The whole time I was reading your rant I was thinking "limp-wristed, liberal, wussy." Conservatives are generally more principled in their politics and it shows through their eagerness to challenge liberal ideology. You say you're middle of the road-esque on the issues, but your temperament and your character ooze "Why am I always the wronged one?" I"d be willing to bet that many conservatives you encounter could take you to the cleaners in debate. Accordingly, you keep your mouth shut because its completely in chorus with the vicitim mentality that pervades liberal ideology.

That's what I read from this rant. Those true colors are shining quite bright.
What makes you think that I'm more liberal than I think that I am? I haven't discussed politics here once. You have no idea what I believe. Whats really going on here is that you perceive me as disagreeing with the social behavior of people in your party, and therefore I must be a liberal. This is a false correlation and an inaccurate and dishonest attack.

Being principled in ideology doesn't mean that it gives you a license to be an a-hole in social situations. If you are, then your not a principled person, your an a-hole, pure and simple. there are lots of principled politicos that know how to behave in mixed social situations, on both sides. Huge difference.

I never said I was wronged. This is your weak ad-hominem argument against someone who you don't agree with. I never said anything that remotely qualified me as feeling wronged. Please quote it here.

There are a lot of "conservatives that could take me to the cleaners in an argument, a lot of liberals, and a lot of neo-conservatives that could proabbaly do the same. All irrelevant. But I'm a conservative myself. Your weak mind can't wrap itself around that fact, because I'm commenting on the memebers of your neo /fake conservative party.

Again, its amazing how the neo-conservatives craft their own reality to fit their worldview. If I don't agree with you, then even if claim to be a libertarian, then I'm a liberal...wow.

Oh, and Im not so limp wristed. I'm actually a very large man who has seen his fair share. In my youth, Id make a comment such as "I'll leave the door open for ya" ..but I'm past that type of thing now. But you should watch being the internet tough guy, its rude and we all know that there is no way to call you out on it to back it up... in other words, its actually "limp wristed" behavior in and of itself...

Old 06-13-2010, 07:30 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,112,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
and I guess for some of those on the Right ideology is "if one's opinion differs from yours, attack, degrade, belittle, disrespect just for the shear purpose of being right and attempt to have the last word"
Not at all. The OP vanished. I'll be MORE THAN GLAD to give him the civil dialogue that he's seeking if he wants to hear a conservative point of view. But, he hit the road as soon as he was challenged. As I said before: he's more liberal than the thinks he is. His characteristics tell the story. Us conservative see this over and over again. This is NOTHING new.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
The OP stated that he's rarely in the position to have civil dialogue. So what's the point of this thread then? I'll tell you: To rant about conservatives. Plain and simple. And when he was challenged, as he obviously does not like to be, what does he do? He vanishes!

Every facet of the OP's rant just screams: I only like differing political views when the time is convenient for ME!

You folks are amazing.
Actually, he hasn't disappeared. He's been commenting throughout. He was simply commenting on people bringing up politics in mixed company and in his experience it has been the neo-conservatives.

Considering he's a libertarian at heart, I'm not sure why you keep talking about "you folks". Neither he nor I fit in the box you are trying to cram us into.

Why do you do that? Is there something psychological in needing to reduce people to broad, if false, caricatures? Does ambiguity threaten you?

If you read this thread, every person attacking him has done the same thing. I'm asking out of genuine curiosity. I know scientific research has proven that the conservative mind is far more black and white in its approach to the world and the liberal mind is far more nuanced, but does that necessarily have to translate into attacks of this nature?

I'd just like to see you stop calling people "limp-wristed" and "wussy" and other such unwarranted attacks. Seems like the mature thing to do.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Not at all. The OP vanished. I'll be MORE THAN GLAD to give him the civil dialogue that he's seeking if he wants to hear a conservative point of view. But, he hit the road as soon as he was challenged. As I said before: he's more liberal than the thinks he is. His characteristics tell the story. Us conservative see this over and over again. This is NOTHING new.
I think you're looking to pick a political fight and completely missing the OP's point. He's not looking for a "conservative point of view". He's simply observing ill-mannered social behavior.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:35 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,534,740 times
Quote:

uhmmm..maybe you need to get off the condoscending horse. The OP hasn't disappeared, he's still here and responding to your jibberish. As of yet, not one of your posts in this thread has been civil, NOT ONE. WE liberals have seen the twist and spin of words and attack mode from those who identify themselves as conservatives. This is NOTHING new.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:35 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,926,642 times
Quote:
Why is it that neo-conservatives can't keep their mouths shut in mixed company? Democrats and libertarians feel no less passionate about their issues, and they had to endure 8 years of Bush. Its just immature and low class to think everyone will agree with you, or if they don't, that they will otherwise keep their mouth shut. And if your looking to start a political argument at a social event, your just a...well...lets say a 'piece of work'..
Oh yes, they sure did keep their mouths shut for 8 years, didn't they?

I would think politics a natural topic that would come up - maybe it's because you're an obama supporter that you can't stand the thought of any valid criticism of his policies.

A person has two choices - either engage or keep the mouth shut.

Quote:
He's simply observing ill-mannered social behavior.
Oh yes, talking about obama's ruinous policies is ill-mannered.

I think we would need two sides to the story to determine who was ill-mannered or not.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:37 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,326 times
Quote:

Every facet of the OP's rant just screams: I only like differing political views when the time and place is convenient for ME! And when it's not? Then shut up!

You folks are amazing.
And what message other than "shut up" are you sending out into the ether?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies