Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 07:12 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,528,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Where IS that little creep?
And I was wondering where that creepy Biden is hiding out these days. And No I don't mean Bin Laden, I mean our current VP Joe Biden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 07:12 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,192,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
<snip>If anyone or any agency tells you there is a quick fix for this - do not believe them.
If anyone or any agency tells you things will be OK - do not believe them.
They just do not want to deal with public panic.
I agree yet the right wingnuts expect the president to pull a rabbit out of a hat.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
There are now reports circulating the web about the BP well casing and bore being compromised.
Of course this is NOT in MSM.

BP official speaking ANONYMOUSLY – “We discovered things that were broken in the sub-surface” – Game Over? | FREE PRESS INTERNATIONAL
Guest Post: BP Official Admits to Damage BENEATH THE SEA FLOOR « naked capitalism
Senator Nelson: The BP Well May Have Lost Structural Integrity Beneath the Sea Floor | zero hedge

Old 06-16-2010, 08:30 PM

6,937 posts, read 6,868,065 times
From what I have read too, there is no lined drilling hole/pipe/casing now. It has been destroyed in one of the initial explosions and there is nothing to 'cap' - even if they could. I think it is past that now, it seems.

This guy has a good perspective and he says that the responsibility lies with all of us.

We are such jerks(my words) to believe what mega-rich corporation and governments tell us when all they want is more and more money, profit and their greed and ours has become the downfall of all humanity.

Most of us assume that if we do not actively support something then that is the same as being against it. But this is not the case. For example by investing in 'green electricity' produced by large electricity companies we think we are supporting a worthy cause. However, the money probably still goes into the bank account and we are 'trusting' that company to use it for green energy production. Can they be trusted with our money?

It is all a salve for our consciences, but we have made our own bed, now we must lie in it.

I have to say, that it was bound to happen sooner or later. Either the nuclear bomb would do it, or the Large Hadron Collider scientists playing like small boys with guns they do not understand.

Now we are considering throwing a nuclear solution at the oil spill and hoping that it will make things better, but the last thing we want is a knee-jerk reaction to this problem. As if we have not done enough damage, we want to make the matter worse. Yeah - great. I dont think any God will help us on this one folks.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:07 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,973 times
I don't fully think anyone will really know the depth of this oil leak, for quite some time, i feel that the scope of the problems, may be much worse then anyone has anticipated. How long before we actually know just how much damage has been done.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:09 PM

....and if the truth be told, nobody wants to know either. There is a distict lack of information such as daily updated maps of the extent of the oil slick.

Reminds me of the fictional story of a little Dutch boy who put his finger in the hole in the **** to save the country but in this case there is no small Dutch boy to save us.

This is an interesting modification of the story which is probably nearer the truth of our current situation.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:13 AM

And the dumping of BP shares by the big investment corporations and banks will only increase as the news gets worse - Link to morningstar.

Senator confirms reports that wellbore is pierced; oil seeping from seabed in multiple places

Quote:
The ultimate worst-case scenario is that the well is never successfully plugged, said Fred Aminzadeh, a research professor at the University of Southern California’s Center for Integrated Smart Oil Fields who previously worked for Unocal Corp. That would leave the well to flow for probably more than a decade, he said in a telephone interview
One more really good report that gives further details on what happened and how bad the whole thing is.

Last edited by ocpaul20; 06-17-2010 at 01:35 AM..

Old 06-17-2010, 02:40 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,532,662 times
I just listened to this report and if true, it's alot worse then we could of imagined.

Matt Simmons Revises Leak Estimate To 120,000 Barrels Per Day, Believes Oil Co

Old 06-17-2010, 03:33 AM

Although I cannot see this from where I am, I trust that you guys can see this video that shows oil leaks on the seabed.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:17 PM

also another must-see

Venice LA needs to be evacuated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies