Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 06:48 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times

Advertisements

[quote=KevK;15390053]These women were just bullied by their racist employer.[/quote}

Spanish speakers constitute a racial category? That's a new one.

On another note, we've had pages of comments by conservatives supporting Rand Paul's notion that businesses should have the freedom to discriminate against customers based upon their race. I've been told that this is a basic right of private property. Now I am being told that business don't have the right to set certain language requirements for their employees, so pardon me if I a little confused.

Why is it a right to discriminate against customer, the right to restrict their customer base, while on the other hand it is but it is some wrong to hire employees for the purpose of expanding their customer base?

Where can I get the secret conservative rule book that spells out when it is ok for government to interfere with a business when the general rule is government should never interfere with business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 09:20 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
It's increasingly common, at least in California, for employers to require that employees be trilingual in English, Spanish, and Chinese. Being bilingual is not enough.

How do you foresee the courts ruling on employers requiring people to speak Mandarin?
This crap is going to kill this country. The most basic bond of a society, the building block upon which it functions, is communication. There needs to be an official language in the U.S. We need to establish and protect the ability of all to communicate with each other via a common language. Refusing to make English official and required will only to lead to divisionsand barriers in our future. Speak as many languages as you want while living here, as long as one is English.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:47 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
This crap is going to kill this country. The most basic bond of a society, the building block upon which it functions, is communication. There needs to be an official language in the U.S. We need to establish and protect the ability of all to communicate with each other via a common language. Refusing to make English official and required will only to lead to divisionsand barriers in our future. Speak as many languages as you want while living here, as long as one is English.
Doesn't the tenth amendment forbid the federal government from establishing an official language, although states are free to establish official languages?

Ironically, California is one of the US states that have established English as the official language, but you'd never know it....

Old 08-08-2010, 11:09 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
agreed

Old 09-07-2013, 06:33 AM

280 posts, read 686,053 times
At the end of the day, employers care most about their bottom line.

If hiring bilingual people or undocumented workers will increase their profits, then don't be surprised if they do so.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:05 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
I dont see whats wrong with Americans knowing at least some basic Spanish. Just like Hispanics who are not American should know some basic English. This country is made up of people who speak all kinds of languages.
Why only Spanish then? I mean we have immigrants from all over the world here. I think we already cater to one group to much.
I speak 2 languages and can get my point across in a third. It should not be forced.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:10 AM

349 posts, read 422,782 times
How did these clowns even get hired in the first place?

One thing I know is that I won't be learning any language for anyone.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:33 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGravitas View Post
At the end of the day, employers care most about their bottom line.

If hiring bilingual people or undocumented workers will increase their profits, then don't be surprised if they do so.
However, it is discriminating and against the law.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:31 PM

280 posts, read 686,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
However, it is discriminating and against the law.
How so?

Please advise.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:58 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Seems like it would be a safety issue with some jobs, if the employer or other employees could not communicate to an employee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies