Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 01:12 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'm not sure how black family disintegration of the past can be tranferred over to a culture that embraces single-parent homes and the prevalence of black men/women to 1) not marry their baby's mama/daddy, or 2)not have multiple children with multiple women/men.

In the grand scheme, it seems that personal responsibility is all to often scapegoated by the horrors of the past. Any self-loving person these days should be able to decipher the difference between success and failure in today's society. Plenty of studies have shown that a solid familial unit is a major contributor to success (or failure if none). To me, that's not hard to understand at all. Why is it that the past is more prevalent than the future in the black community? The revolving door doesn't seem to quit spinning.
Because they want white people to be on a constant guilt trip, but don't bring up all the atrocities in black africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 01:13 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Yeah sure, slavery is about to be signed into law in 2010.

Slavery still happens today in places. This is not a black vs white thing, this is not just about black American slaves. The mine photos are also a reminder.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:13 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it, and sometimes a picture is worth a thousands words.
I was listening to NPR a month or so ago and they interviewed a black woman who had visited a display of historic American slavery artifacts. Just talking about it made her emotional and she stated that looking at the shackles and chains made her angry.

I couldn't help but wonder with whom she was angry, if anyone. Was she angry with slaveowners of the time? Was she angry at the white people of that era, or perhaps contemporary white people? Or was it just a generic anger? It's a good question. There are some people who can study, examine, and discuss with objectivity sad, unfortunate, long-ago history. And there are others who would hold a personal resentment despite the fact that no one alive is in any way responsible. In fact, you can find that right here in this thread.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:14 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I can almost guarantee you that the one on the viewers left had a harder life. Why? He looked “Angry” which means that he still had fight in him. The other child just looked broken and resigned to his condition. In other words, he was a “good Negro” the type that the masters liked, ones who did not complain and
Quote:
learned to be content in their condition.
Hence, the child on the left probably got a lot of beatings, but was a greater threat to the institution of slavery than the defeated child on the right.

In any era there are fighters and resisters and those that simply acquiesce. I would have definitely been the brother on the left. I am not one for being passive and silent just so that white folks can feel comfortable....while our condition remains much worse than theirs.
Maybe this explains why some blacks are content to live in poverty.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:16 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Slavery still happens today in places. This is not a black vs white thing, this is not just about black American slaves. The mine photos are also a reminder.
I agree it is happening in other parts of the world, but in America it isn't something to keep harping on. It gets you nowhere. Now if you want to talk about being a slave to the government or the elitists, that IS what is going to happen if the citizens of this country don't change that course, or at least try to.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:24 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
I agree it is happening in other parts of the world, but in America it isn't something to keep harping on. It gets you nowhere. Now if you want to talk about being a slave to the government or the elitists, that IS what is going to happen if the citizens of this country don't change that course, or at least try to.
I agree. I like the thread for the fact though that these old photos are rare to see.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:28 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
This is yet another attempt by Indentured Servant to spread more White guilt, go ahead and ask him for a solution and see what happens.
The solution has to come from within the black community, it's so far gone now I don't even know where to suggest you start. You have an enomous breakdown of the family unit in many of these inner city areas with young men and women that have no direction, no leaders, no anything from within the black community. The biggest structured environment they have is gangs. I realize there is some bright spots here and there but the overall picture is just bad.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:34 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
I don't understand why history can be taught in schools and I never see a referendum by whites to have it removed. However, when it comes to the history of black people in this nation......we are perceived to be "hanging on" to it? Do you know that black people in this nation have spent more years as slaves than as free people, through the centuries? Slavery is the biggest era of our history in this nation. No one is hanging on to it any more than whites hang on to theirs. Such photos are very important to black people. You have no choice but to learn to respect that because we are not going to stop doing what is beneficial for us just so that you all will not feel "uncomfortable" or think that its a slap at you personally, given that you are white. I know a lot of whites feel this way or they will not spend so much time trying to dimish black history or attempting to equalize it with white history.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:38 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I don't really think you want to play this little game.

Whites HAVE NOT had the same experience of BLACKS. STop trying to make that argument. Note the CHILDREN looking on in some of these photos.
OMG...I absolutely HATE images like this. It just makes me want to cry for my strong, black ancestors that suffered. I KNOW that many whites today abhor what happened in American history, but it just makes me want to cry "WHY, WHY, WHY". While I know some of the reasons (mainly greed on the part of whites and Africans), I just hate that so much evil and hatred existed (and still does) in the world.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:39 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
I'm really not sure what the point of this OP is. Is the picture supposed to prove that slavery existed in the U.S. and that it included children? Well, we already know that. Is it supposed to document the abusive treatment of slave children? Well, apart from the fact that the children pictured are dressed in rags, it really doesn't do that. I'll bet there were plenty of poor white kids living in similarly deplorable circumstances, minus the slavery aspect of course. So what's the point again?

Yes, and this makes your point sort of useless..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies