Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 11:53 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,320,330 times

Advertisements

What kind of parent lets their 16 year old daughter sail ALONE around the world?

No human should sail ALONE like that, much less a teenager. I don't care how accomplished one is, without backup it's STUPID.

Thank God she's ok. I hope the parents have to pay for all the expense associated with everyone's efforts. Shame on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 11:55 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,538,404 times
I agree. Her parents are stupid and also very lucky. Had anything happened to this girl, they should have been and would have been held responsible.

The stupidity of people is unbelievable.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:57 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,461,503 times
I heard that 4 months ago the father signed a reality tv show contract showcasing his "daredevil" children.....

Old 06-14-2010, 12:05 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,484,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
I heard that 4 months ago the father signed a reality tv show contract showcasing his "daredevil" children.....
The dad needs to get false-cracked.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:13 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,129,498 times
There were actually TWO (2) 16 year olds trying for the record - one was from the United States, the other from Australia.

The lass from Australia completed the journey with essentially no adverse incidents. The young woman from CA however, ran into trouble.

By all accounts both of these young ladies were mature beyond their years - they were very experienced sailors.

Frankly, with the exception of normal parental worries, I cannot see where these two sets of parents should not have given their blessings to these adventures.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:58 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,145,087 times
You're right...the parents are responsible.

But it could be that they felt the kid was ready. They obviously had faith, confidence and trust in her. Everything I've read and heard would lead me to believe that she has had thousands of hours solo sailing as it is.

I've come to conclusion that I, and most of my peers where I lived, were raised differently, certainly than kids in most of the country today. While not on the scale of solo world sailing, from the age of 11 on up, we were pretty well given free rein in grizzly country, allowed to spend multiple nights out camping, fishing etc. I have grown children now. One I wouldn't have had any issues with them doing that. The other...I'da paused. In other words, I was given freedoms that were commensurate with my abilities as were my friends. We were fine in grizzly country. We probably shouldn't have been set loose alone in NYC. I've given my children different freedoms at different stages in their lives depending upon, in my judgment, their abilities. I would expect her parents have done the same.

Point is, maybe your kid shouldn't sail the world alone, maybe my kid shouldn't, but neither of us sitting behind this computer in their house is in any position to say other wise.

I say that even though I think anyone with that desire is crazy...regardless of age. But, I've known kids that age and younger that I'd trust before I would a lot of "adults".

Old 06-14-2010, 01:14 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,151,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I agree. Her parents are stupid and also very lucky. Had anything happened to this girl, they should have been and would have been held responsible.

The stupidity of people is unbelievable.
wanted to rep you but couldn't. Her parents border on being unfit almost. Maybe I am carrying this too far, but what were they thinking? I remember allowing our daughter (after her freshman year in college but she was just barely 18) drive from So Ca all the way to NO Ca by herself and people thought we were nuts. I look back on it and we were....

Nita

Old 06-14-2010, 01:15 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,544,333 times
As both the parents and the 16 year old thought she was ready for this challenge they were correct in helping her try to achieve the goal. Good for them.

The fact that the Southern Ocean almost claimed another sailor was just bad luck. I am glad she was rescued and congratulate her rescuers.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:18 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,151,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
There were actually TWO (2) 16 year olds trying for the record - one was from the United States, the other from Australia.

The lass from Australia completed the journey with essentially no adverse incidents. The young woman from CA however, ran into trouble.

By all accounts both of these young ladies were mature beyond their years - they were very experienced sailors.

Frankly, with the exception of normal parental worries, I cannot see where these two sets of parents should not have given their blessings to these adventures.
you have to be kidding, read my last comment; our daughter was mature also, started college just before her 17th birthday and we were nuts to give her the freedom we did. No amount of maturity makes a 16 year old ready to tackle the kind of feat this young lady was tackling...So the 16 year old from Australia made it, good for her and good for her family, this doesn't mean it is right..

Nita

Old 06-14-2010, 02:06 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,631,063 times
I don't agree with the parents letting a 16 year old-boy or girl make such a dangerous journey alone. But it was their decision.

I don't understand why a support boat couldn't trail behind-even a day behind-and be there just in case something happened. Also what if she would have gotten sick? The flu or something. Just doesn't make sense to me.

The sad part of it is since dad signed the contract for a reality show, I see nothing but dollar signs in the parents' eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies