Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 03:01 AM

232 posts, read 542,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
The problem comes in recognizing which religion the person is so as not to offend them. If I know someone is Hindu, I wouldn't offer them a hamburger or a beef steak. If I know someone is Muslim or Jewish I wouldn't offer them shellfish or pork.
This is why many Indian dishes are vegetarian. They can be enjoyed by all.

Remember, even Americans that aren't among those ethnic groups still have dietary rules. Some folks are vegetarians by their own choosing. Some folks are allergic to shellfish. Other folks have been told by their docs to not eat red meat. Approach it the same way.

"You'll have to tell me what you like to eat? Do you like XXXX or would you prefer something else?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 03:01 AM

24 posts, read 69,460 times
I can tell the nationality of an Inidian and the nationality of an Arab, but I have never been able to look at someone and know their religion. Muslim covers many nationalities.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:09 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,370,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
I'm East Indian and Hindu. I'm clean shaven and don't speak with an accent. Indians like myself can easily distinguish us from Muslims including Pakastani or Persians (Iranians). However, do you know the difference between a Hindu and a Muslim or do you think we have the same religion and views because we resemble each other. The reason I ask is Hindus particularly in India are some of the most anti-Muslim people you will ever meet. In fact, they were anti-Muslim before it became fashionable to be anti-Muslim. I don't advocate those particular views and feel like it's a form of discrimination but I was just curious if people on this forum know the difference between Hindus and Muslims or are we the same to you. It's okay if you answer yes. I would like to hear your views. Just be honest
No, I can't distingush. How about an explanation?

Old 06-15-2010, 03:12 AM

38,645 posts, read 26,356,025 times
Quote:
I'm East Indian and Hindu. I'm clean shaven and don't speak with an accent. Indians like myself can easily distinguish us from Muslims including Pakastani or Persians (Iranians). However, do you know the difference between a Hindu and a Muslim or do you think we have the same religion and views because we resemble each other. The reason I ask is Hindus particularly in India are some of the most anti-Muslim people you will ever meet. In fact, they were anti-Muslim before it became fashionable to be anti-Muslim. I don't advocate those particular views and feel like it's a form of discrimination but I was just curious if people on this forum know the difference between Hindus and Muslims or are we the same to you. It's okay if you answer yes. I would like to hear your views. Just be honest

I know! I know! People who belong to the Hindu religion don't hate America, Christians or Jews.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:14 AM

37,792 posts, read 40,977,589 times
If we are talking geographical origin, it's easier for me to wait until they speak. People from India, who speak English, have distinct accents. Plus, Indian women dress, colorfully. The food is different. Indian food is hot (to me). When I was younger, I had a female roommate (2 years) from India who worked at the Indian embassy in DC. She had been educated in England and spoke more proper English than my other roommate who actually was born and raised in a blue collar part of England. The Indians I came in contact with in the US, back then, were happy friendly fun people. (They still may be, I just don't live in a large city, anymore so I don't come in contact with them.) If we are talking Muslim versus Hindu, Hindus have many gods (and holidays ) and generally don't want to kill us. Muslim cab drivers (at US airports) didn't speak to me when I used to travel for work. Is that because I was an American or because I was a woman traveling alone...I don't know...but they left an unfriendly impression.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:54 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,741,672 times
I cannot, at a glance, tell a Muslim from a Hindu from a Buddist but they can.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:59 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,724,752 times
Quote:
If you are East Indian and grew up there, you do have an accent, although you might not be aware of it

Anyway, I don't quite understand your question. Are you referring to looks only? The two religions are completely different, but if Indians of both religions wear the same clothes, it might be difficult or impossible to tell the difference.

My Indian friend (Hinidu) is also very anti-Islam.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:01 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,127,147 times
We in America shun God in the public school . We learn nothing about the difference or similarities . Its a crime the way public schools teach very little in 12 years .

Old 06-15-2010, 06:03 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,276,771 times
The difference is, Muslims have this block of wood on their shoulder.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:03 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,536,258 times
You can convert to another religion from Hindu, without fear of death.

That's the biggest difference for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies