Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 01:08 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Your liberal moral equivalence game is tired and stale.

Nobody cared to play anything, until you tossed it into your argument. Try not to, again, if it bothers you.

Quote:
I am certainly saying that whatever degree of Hindu “extremism” you suggest exists, it is not on the same scale as Islamic extremism and therefore any attempt to whitewash the clear problem that exists within the Islamic world by this moral equivalence argument falls on deaf ears.

You are off your rocker if you think you can convince the world that what is happing isn’t what is happening. [/quote]
I don't think being on a rocker is the best way to find out what is going beyond your house. Try getting off it sometime, and you just might have a better perspective.

To me, violence is violence. Hatred is hatred. How many people are involved, in killing or getting killed has little to do with how much I detest anything along the lines, much less on religious grounds. You, clearly, hold a different view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 01:20 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
A hindu sometimes have ornate face painting.

A muslim sometimes has a discolored spot on their forehead from banging it on the floor when they pray.

It's true, i'm not trying to be sarcastic or disrespectful.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/18/wo...a/18egypt.html

Quote:
The zebibah, Arabic for raisin, is a dark circle of callused skin, or in some cases a protruding bump, between the hairline and the eyebrows. It emerges on the spot where worshipers press their foreheads into the ground during their daily prayers.

Hindus also have ornate face painting, muslims never do that.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:27 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
I'm East Indian and Hindu. I'm clean shaven and don't speak with an accent. Indians like myself can easily distinguish us from Muslims including Pakastani or Persians (Iranians). However, do you know the difference between a Hindu and a Muslim or do you think we have the same religion and views because we resemble each other. The reason I ask is Hindus particularly in India are some of the most anti-Muslim people you will ever meet. In fact, they were anti-Muslim before it became fashionable to be anti-Muslim. I don't advocate those particular views and feel like it's a form of discrimination but I was just curious if people on this forum know the difference between Hindus and Muslims or are we the same to you. It's okay if you answer yes. I would like to hear your views. Just be honest
Frankly, I don't judge people based on what they look like. I don't care anything about someones religion. I also don't think that people from India, and Pakistan look anything like people from the Persian Gulf.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:43 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I would like to read about Sufism prior to Islam. Do you have a source? I don't deny, however, that Islam isn't the one that created all the ideas the Sufism followed. That would be akin to tying all morality to one religion. For example, a lot of Sufism is also the basis for Sikhism. And there is plenty of common ground between ideals of Sufism and Buddhism (a religion that is nearly 1200 years older than Islam).

PS. All Sufi saints are referred to as "Hazrat", a significant title in Islam.
I guess there is a link to gnosticism and early Christianity, but I will look for more info tomorrow, have to watch the Brazil match now

Old 06-15-2010, 01:49 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
Yep. My family is Hindu/ Sikh and have a strong strong STRONG dislike of Muslims. Can't say I blame them. Look into the history or Sikhism and Hinduism and just see what the Muslims did to them.

When 9/11 happened, my dad said that before he even heard ANYTHING, he knew a Muslim did it.

They still haven't changed. No surprise there, huh?

Old 06-15-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
A hindu sometimes have ornate face painting.

Hindus also have ornate face painting, muslims never do that.
Sometimes is correct, but not always. It would not be surprising to assume a Muslim bride (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/59/Khara_Dupatta.jpg - broken link) to be a Hindu bride (and vice versa), given the dress and jewelry, and even use of Henna.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:49 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
I'm East Indian and Hindu. I'm clean shaven and don't speak with an accent. Indians like myself can easily distinguish us from Muslims including Pakastani or Persians (Iranians). However, do you know the difference between a Hindu and a Muslim or do you think we have the same religion and views because we resemble each other. The reason I ask is Hindus particularly in India are some of the most anti-Muslim people you will ever meet. In fact, they were anti-Muslim before it became fashionable to be anti-Muslim. I don't advocate those particular views and feel like it's a form of discrimination but I was just curious if people on this forum know the difference between Hindus and Muslims or are we the same to you. It's okay if you answer yes. I would like to hear your views. Just be honest
Isn't one a religion of peace, and the other rewards murderers of women and children with 72 virgins?

Old 06-15-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I guess there is a link to gnosticism and early Christianity, but I will look for more info tomorrow, have to watch the Brazil match now
That's exactly what I meant that we can't narrow down morality to a religion (much less a sect of it). What you might find in early Christianity, also exists in other religions. But, Sufism, as it is, comes directly from Islam, and builds on it using those very same morals and beliefs.

I mentioned the Mughal emperor Akbar, who literally walked Sufism going all the way down to the book he wrote: "Din e ilahi". He built a fort near Delhi for his capitol, at Fatehpur Sikri, and around the tomb of a Sufi saint. The entrance to the fort is known as "Buland Darwaza", and a message adorns the entrance (in Arabic?), attributed to Jesus Christ from Quran: "The World is but a bridge, pass over but build no houses on it".

Interesting, isn't it? Now, extremists (Muslims) denounce it, because it also represents the secular side of the religion, tolerance and co-existence for all. And you know how "secularism" is synonymous with "atheism" for the evangelicals here in America. The radical Muslims are no different. In fact, Akbar's great Grandson was perfect example of that.

PS. I highly recommend watching "The Story of India - BBC", one of the last episodes, to gain an easy historical perspective on arrival of Islam in India. I believe it may be the fifth episode of the six part series, covering Sufism through the demise of Mughal empire.

Last edited by EinsteinsGhost; 06-15-2010 at 03:15 PM..

Old 06-15-2010, 02:57 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Islam has a problem that no other religion has. period. end of discussion.

that does not mean that all muslims are evil terrorists. most are honest folk.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:58 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Here are some famous Indian Muslims...
How could you really determine if most of these people were Muslims or Hindus based on appearance alone?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Indian_Muslims.png]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies