Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 03:23 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,658,465 times

Advertisements

Shockingly, it seems as though many hard core Obama supporters here are actually suggesting that Obama is completely blameless for the oil spill in the Gulf and his lack of a response. The failed federal regulations and inspections, as well as the lack of response to the spill are all under his watch and his responsibilty. Yet the libs want to give him a free pass.

I would think that this degree of blind faith and loyalty would make an SS member blush, but it appears to be so.

How in the world can ANYONE give Obama a pass on this disaster?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 07:19 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,631,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Shockingly, it seems as though many hard core Obama supporters here are actually suggesting that Obama is completely blameless for the oil spill in the Gulf and his lack of a response. The failed federal regulations and inspections, as well as the lack of response to the spill are all under his watch and his responsibilty. Yet the libs want to give him a free pass.

I would think that this degree of blind faith and loyalty would make an SS member blush, but it appears to be so.

Well, the jimmy obama damage control squad was created to downplay and mask jimmy's incompetence and gross inexperience so jimmy could continue his radical left marxist agenda.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:26 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,026 times
Quote:

I would suggest you read the other threads. There are a great number of us who are let down by his actions/reactions to the oil spill. I personally have said so in numerous threads.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:10 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,631,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
I would suggest you read the other threads. There are a great number of us who are let down by his actions/reactions to the oil spill. I personally have said so in numerous threads.

So there are other liberals who are starting to see jimmy obama for what he is, a far left ideologue only committed to furthering a far left agenda and otherwise completely in over his head as to what it takes to be a real President?

Old 06-12-2010, 08:13 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,025 times
Problem is, he is damned if he does or doesn't. A huge expenditure on his part would be seen by many on the right as an intrusion into the free market. Exactly what do you think he should do?

Old 06-12-2010, 08:17 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,663,920 times
I've got more important things to worry about, plus, I think it's foolish to blame Obama for the oil spill. You'd have to be a diehard Obama-hater in order to do that.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Problem is, he is damned if he does or doesn't. A huge expenditure on his part would be seen by many on the right as an intrusion into the free market. Exactly what do you think he should do?

"Intrusion in the free market"????

He was supposed to

1. protect the federal waters in which the rig was placed
2. make sure that safety checks were objective and not influenced by a corrupt materials management service who accepted free gifts and sex in exchange for lax safety regulations
3. set up floating barricades (as occurs in most offshore spills) to contain the oil
4. Deploy oil skimmers
5. Accept the help of other nations who offered the assistence of oil skimmers
6. deploy the army corps of engineers to construct berms and wing dams to protect beaches and wetlands
7. declare a federal emergency such that idiotic 'environmental studies" could be abandoned to allow the creation of barriers
8. Allow the states to construct barriers (as they wanted) and help supply the necessary clean up equipment
9. Convene an expert group of oil rig engineers to discuss scenarios for capping the oil. Obama's 'expert" was clueless
10. Consult the navy to determine if the use of deepwater subs in conjunction with the oil company would be helpful
11. Attempt a surface burn

This man was a complete incompetent fool in this situation and it cost the nation dearly. It is a disaster which will be felt in the Gulf for decades and was not necessary if we had a competent president. Many on the left give Obama a "pass" on this and excuse his incompetence due to blind political loyalty.

One poster here said that Chris Dodd thought that Obama did everything he could and should not be blamed. That is like asking Himmler if Hitler should be given a pass for the Holocaust.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I've got more important things to worry about, plus, I think it's foolish to blame Obama for the oil spill. You'd have to be a diehard Obama-hater in order to do that.

Here is an example of what I was talking about.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:30 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguer View Post
So there are other liberals who are starting to see jimmy obama for what he is, a far left ideologue only committed to furthering a far left agenda and otherwise completely in over his head as to what it takes to be a real President?
Nooooooo - I didn't say anything of the sort you mention above. I said I was let down by his actions/reactions during the oil spill crisis. And frankly, I would appreciate if you are going to talk about our president - no matter how pissed off you obviously are with him - that you do so by using his correct name as a matter of respect for the office he holds. What is the matter with you? Do you need to change the man's name to gain some sort of leverage over him? What does that say about you? Try to be proud to be American and show some respect for the office he holds. Please.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:50 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,068 times
Quote:
1. protect the federal waters in which the rig was placed
I agree in principle. That's the whole idea.

2. make sure that safety checks were objective and not influenced by a corrupt materials management service who accepted free gifts and sex in exchange for lax safety regulations
True. This has been a long standing problem.

3. set up floating barricades (as occurs in most offshore spills) to contain the oil
They are/have been doing this. And there is just not enough floatable boom to protect the entire Gulf coast. And it doesn't nearly work perfectly.

4. Deploy oil skimmers
They are/have been doing this. I'm sure they could always use more.

5. Accept the help of other nations who offered the assistence of oil skimmers
Yes, probably should have. I read they are now reconsidering help from Denmark

6. deploy the army corps of engineers to construct berms and wing dams to protect beaches and wetlands
7. declare a federal emergency such that idiotic 'environmental studies" could be abandoned to allow the creation of barriers
8. Allow the states to construct barriers (as they wanted) and help supply the necessary clean up equipment
Maybe. They are doing it now, but there is actually a lot of heated debate by scientists who question whether this will do any good and whether it will actually have other harmful consequences.

9. Convene an expert group of oil rig engineers to discuss scenarios for capping the oil. Obama's 'expert" was clueless
They are/have been doing this. They've already already got an expert group trying to figure out how to cap this thing - and guess what, nobody knows how the hell to do it. This is an unprecedented situation. Obama does not have just one 'expert' who is coming up with all of this. All of the smart people are already working on it.

10. Consult the navy to determine if the use of deepwater subs in conjunction with the oil company would be helpful
BP already has its own specially equipped deepwater subs down there trying to cap the thing. A shortage of subs is not the problem here.

11. Attempt a surface burn
They are/have been doing this.
I'm sure they could have coordinated better and done some things more quickly. But stop kidding yourself - if a Republican or someone else was president, the situation would not look significantly better right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies