Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did the Seattle girl who got punched by the cop deserve it?
Yes 131 79.88%
No 33 20.12%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 04:36 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,544,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
The title is so misleading. Looks to me like he punched her for interference and assaulting an officer. Yes, he could have handled it differently, he should have used a take down maneuver or tazed her.
What makes people think they can obstruct justice and assault a police officer without consequences?

That was my thgought too! She wasn't punched for jay walking! One of the girls was resisting arrest!! When you do that, you GET WHAT YOU DESERVE! DON'T RUN UP ON AN OFFICER OF THE LAW! Cooperate!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
It happens around the 30 second mark. Seems to me this could have been handled differently. Seattle police have already got a rep of beating on people..mostly minorities of course. This will just add to it..

YouTube - Seattle Police Confrontation - komonews.com

Seattle officer punches girl in face during jaywalking stop | KOMO News - Breaking News, Sports, Traffic and Weather - Seattle, Washington | News

AND THIS CAMERA GUY IS YELLIN' "ARE YOU SERIOUS??' "ARE YOU SERIOUS?"

Yeah dude!!! Resisting and pushing a cop is SERIOUS!!

SHE SHOULD BE GLAD SHE WAS NOT A GUY! Because I'm pretty sure he was still using some restraint!!

This was not a race issue!! this was a stupid issue!! There is no respect for authority anymore! I wouldn't EVEN THINK OF HITTING A COP! These kids are listening to too much T.I and Lil Wayne....

Old 06-16-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
She didn't hit him, arses like that cop justifies the name pigs being given
to some of them imo...
What video were you watching???

She indeed hit the cop....or pushed him hard to help her friend! Good grief! We need to stop justifying bad behavior!! Cooperate!!!

If you cooperate and still get roughed up, that's brutality!! This was not brutality.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Seattle takes jaywalking very seriously. They have classes for offenders, and everything.

Again...jaywalking had nothing to do with her getting punched.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
If a teenage girl pushed (lightly) you..would you punch her in the face?

Seattle cop=PUNK

Yes.....consider her punched!!

Old 06-16-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
Assaulting an officer is a much more severe charge than jaywalking. If you don't think you deserve the ticket, fight it in court, not with fists.

Exactly!

Old 06-16-2010, 05:00 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,572,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
What video were you watching???

She indeed hit the cop....or pushed him hard to help her friend! Good grief! We need to stop justifying bad behavior!! Cooperate!!!

If you cooperate and still get roughed up, that's brutality!! This was not brutality.
By any chance, did you get to read this post I made yesterday?

//www.city-data.com/forum/14629368-post114.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Weakling? Did you see how the girl reacted? It was not a weak punch by any means.

The problem is that people think they are higher than authority and can get away. When did you graduate High School? I did 4 years ago and my sister goes now. Kids just do not have any respect for teachers and people do not have respect for officers which is just a damn shame. Of course there are jerk officers but you don't have to get it to this point. What was her purpose of shouting "get the **** away from me! WAHHH! GET THE **** AWAY?!" It sounded like she was being sexually molested by him.

She could have just talked to him. Explained her situation. And if he disagrees and tickets her, she has EVERY RIGHT to challenge it. If that fails, oh well. It is life. After she cussed at the cop, that was it. She should have been ticketed right then and there. No questions asked.

I have NO sympathy for people like this. Minority or not. Whenever things go wrong at work, school, or with officials, I look them in the eye and explain my situation. There are times it doesnt work out but that is ok. That is life. You gotta deal.

Signed,
An Indian

Old 06-16-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theliberalvoice View Post
weakling? Did you see how the girl reacted? It was not a weak punch by any means.

The problem is that people think they are higher than authority and can get away. When did you graduate high school? I did 4 years ago and my sister goes now. Kids just do not have any respect for teachers and people do not have respect for officers which is just a damn shame. Of course there are jerk officers but you don't have to get it to this point. What was her purpose of shouting "get the **** away from me! Wahhh! Get the **** away?!" it sounded like she was being sexually molested by him.

She could have just talked to him. Explained her situation. And if he disagrees and tickets her, she has every right to challenge it. If that fails, oh well. It is life. After she cussed at the cop, that was it. She should have been ticketed right then and there. No questions asked.

I have no sympathy for people like this. Minority or not. Whenever things go wrong at work, school, or with officials, i look them in the eye and explain my situation. There are times it doesnt work out but that is ok. That is life. You gotta deal.

Signed,
an indian

amen!! Say it!!

Old 06-16-2010, 05:07 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Quote:
It happens around the 30 second mark. Seems to me this could have been handled differently. Seattle police have already got a rep of beating on people..mostly minorities of course. This will just add to it..

YouTube - Seattle Police Confrontation - komonews.com

Seattle officer punches girl in face during jaywalking stop | KOMO News - Breaking News, Sports, Traffic and Weather - Seattle, Washington | News
I watched the entire thing on tv and it was mentioned the girl had a history of treating the cop as she did...so good job to the Cop!

Maybe it could have handled different, but the cop has to decide in a split second and didn't know what to expect next...the girl got what she deserved!

Old 06-16-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I'll give it a shot... Okay, first it was all about jaywalking. I'll go worst case scenario and figure it was jaywalking across a busy street, distrupting traffic. Okay, I'd pull my cruiser up alongside the girls and say, "You girls could have been killed, or gotten someone else to get hurt in an accident. So I'll warn you now that the next time this happens I'm going to give you a citation. Okay ladies?"

If they would have cussed me out (which I sincerely doubt would happen), I would have gotten out of my cruiser and done everything I could to handcuff the guilty one. If I faced resistance, I would have threatened to use mace. If I didn't have mace, I would have followed the girls in my cruiser, or on foot, until the back-up arrived. We would have then taken one, or both into custody by way of overpowering a person and not by assaulting a person.

But they don't stop to listen to you they keep walking.....which from the attitude they were giving seems to be the case. Hence the need to make her stay there (which she resisted)

Following her in your cruiser makes no sense because she could duck into a building and disappear.

NOW WHAT DO YOU DO SMART GUY???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies